BAD - "Execution" of home invaders in MN

This is a discussion on BAD - "Execution" of home invaders in MN within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; an article that will give you more info : LINK : Family's outrage after star students were found murdered in man's basement after he claims ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: BAD - "Execution" of home invaders in MN

an article that will give you more info :

LINK : Family's outrage after star students were found murdered in man's basement after he claims they robbed his home on Thanksgiving | Mail Online

Friends and family have expressed their outrage over the deaths of two popular students shot by a homeowner while they robbed his home - as he revealed he fired 'more shots than he needed to'.

The bodies of cousins Haile Kifer, 18, and Nicholas Brady Schaeffel, 17, were found in Byron Smith's basement in Little Falls, Minnesota on Friday - the day after they were shot dead on Thanksgiving.

When police arrived at his home after reports of suspicious activity, Smith, 64, confessed to shooting the teenagers repeatedly and stashing their bodies after they broke into his home, authorities said. On Monday, he was charged with second-degree murder and police revealed he told them he fired more shots than necessary after his gun jammed and Kifer laughed at him.
    * Broken into 8 times over the last year
    * One shot to the girl.... under the chin into the cranium.
    * Hid the bodies in his basement.
    * Don't like the "they were good kids" lines, as they were breaking into someone's home to steal.... but, doesn't excuse him for executing them either.

Inexcusable that the paper tries to make this about the "Castle Doctrine" , as this has NOTHING to do with the Castle Doctrine at all ...... shame they use this for a political agenda in the Minnesota News.
    Aceoky and glockstar like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a lawyer, but I do live in MN (about 30 min south of where it happened) and I am familiar with the relevant laws (I can't quote them chapter and verse, but I've read them and I get the gist of it).

He is screwed, finished, put a fork in him he is done.

like everyone else has said, his right to defend his home went out the window when the threat was over. and the "finishing shot" may as well been his own. I have no problem with someone defending against home invaders; I have a problem with murder. lets not kid each other, it went from home defense to murder.
    glockstar and Eagleks like this.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

he was wrong and deserved to get locked up. The teens were wrong and deserved to die.

BAD - "Execution" of home invaders in MN

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    he was wrong and deserved to get locked up. The teens were wrong and deserved to die.
    Deserved to die...really? I'm sorry but I'm not killing someone over personal property. Insurance can cover that.

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    Hence the reason that there are 12 people on a jury and not just one.
    glockstar likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    An old story, but the trial is now underway.

Minnesota Man Accused of Murdering Teens Who Entered His Home - Yahoo
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    From what I have read and heard about this case Smith is guilty of executing the two, certainly not a case of self-defense.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    From what I have read and heard about this case Smith is guilty of executing the two, certainly not a case of self-defense.
    Might well not have been. If they were legitimately felons attempting to unjustifiably harm him and he stopped them justifiably with the first shots, technically I suppose it could be argued the final shots didn't much matter and that the dragging/etc are mere circumstances and not proof. Trouble is, he did practically everything wrong, from the perspective of a jury who's going to hear such proofs and indicators. Stupid as those actions were, it might well be that he was fully justified in stopping them, but in the end mucked it up by blowing all the details after stopping them.

Which is why he's got his trial. It'll be interesting to see how the attorneys spin this. Looks bad for him, agreed.

Note to self: don't do an "executing" shot, once the threat has ceased; don't drag the bodies elsewhere; don't fail to contact the cavalry for assistance; don't lie about it all; don't hem and haw when asked about it; don't believe for a second that those things will keep the sky from falling on the head when folks find out about those little aspects. Yup.
    glockstar and DingBat like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    With that comment then waiting until the next day he will need an extremely good lawyer.
    The victim broke the cardinal rule when dealing with LE. He talked to them. He should have kept his mouth shut. Past stopping the threat sounds like everything he did after that was wrong. He moved the bodies. He waited till the next day to notify police. I am not a rocket sturgeon but it sounds to me like he executed the suspects.
    lionround and Aceoky like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I love a story with a happy ending. Me thinks this will not turn out well.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Might well not have been. If they were legitimately felons attempting to unjustifiably harm him and he stopped them justifiably with the first shots, technically I suppose it could be argued the final shots didn't much matter and that the dragging/etc are mere circumstances and not proof. Trouble is, he did practically everything wrong, from the perspective of a jury who's going to hear such proofs and indicators. Stupid as those actions were, it might well be that he was fully justified in stopping them, but in the end mucked it up by blowing all the details after stopping them.

Which is why he's got his trial. It'll be interesting to see how the attorneys spin this. Looks bad for him, agreed.

Note to self: don't do an "executing" shot, once the threat has ceased; don't drag the bodies elsewhere; don't fail to contact the cavalry for assistance; don't lie about it all; don't hem and haw when asked about it; don't believe for a second that those things will keep the sky from falling on the head when folks find out about those little aspects. Yup.
    I agree this is going to be a very interesting trial to watch.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I heard he was cooking up some fava beans ...

JK
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^Thanks for the updated link Mike!

I stand by my original post.

He will most likely do time.

I wonder about maybe if he is/was not all there.
    Aceoky likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I'm surprised the propaganda media isn't making this guy the poster boy, and CNN doing 24/7 coverage.

Dont buy the good kids baloney. If they were they wouldnt have busted into someones home. When they did they knowingly took a chance they would wind up shot or dead.

That said, the old guy is a whacko. Not because he shot them more than once. You shoot till the threat stops and not in the shoulder like some idiot said in the article. Threat is stopped either by 1 perps flee. Perps surrender, or perps are shot to a point of no longer offering a threat. Either unable or unwilling too or dead.

The old dude was well in his rights right up to the point he finished off perps down and unable to offer a threat. After that if what is to be read is true he killed them because he wanted to kill them.

In no fan of criminals which these kids clearly were. If they died of their wounds after he had stopped them they just did. And that would have laid on them.

Walking up and administering " Good clean finishing shots" to be sure their dead is execution. JMO
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links