Why?: Man walks in on home burglary in progress

This is a discussion on Why?: Man walks in on home burglary in progress within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He sees a suspicious car in his driveway.... and walks into his house... confronted at gunpoint... Even if I'm armed... I'm going to have LEO ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Why?: Man walks in on home burglary in progress

Why?: Man walks in on home burglary in progress

He sees a suspicious car in his driveway.... and walks into his house... confronted at gunpoint...

Even if I'm armed... I'm going to have LEO do the house clearing... I'm on the phone as soon as I determine the vehicle is "suspicious"..

Anyway, here's the story
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Calling 911 is much LESS painful, and he'd still have his wallet.
    If he felt gutsy, he could have blocked the car in the driveway and scooted down the street on his cell phone.
    joker1, ANGLICO, ron54 and 2 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Probably some dude who believes he is safe in his neighborhood only to find out BG's are everywhere.

Crazy world we live in.

Playing Monday morning quarterback, I would have blocked the car in the driveway if at all possible and reported the license plate # to LEO.

At least I know what to do and I'll store that in my what if folder in the old noggin...
    MASSIVE likes this.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    . . .
    Playing Monday morning quarterback, I would have blocked the car in the driveway if at all possible and reported the license plate # to LEO.

At least I know what to do and I'll store that in my what if folder in the old noggin...
    That's exactly what I post these for.... think about your best possible responses, store them in your brain... and learn from 'em...
    mprp, BenGoodLuck, joker1 and 1 others like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Yup............block in the vehicle and move to a safe location to call it in......sounds right.
    joker1 likes this.

I remember hearing about another guy in a similar situation. He came home and saw a suspicious van in his driveway. He looked in the van and saw a bunch of his stuff. He then noticed that the keys were in the ignition. He jumped in and took off with the van. Wouldn't you love to see the look on the thief's face when I realized that someone had the nerve to steal his getaway car?

I do like the other suggestions of blocking the car, getting the license plate and dialing 911. I might also consider slashing the tires, but that would also put me in harm's way a little longer than necessary.

I agree, call the police, let them check the building. Good idea about blocking in the vehicle.

Mrs Pockets went to the grocery store one day and observed a vehicle in front of the store with the engine running, and the window down. Being the Good Samaritan she is, she reached in and turned off the engine.

If you haven't guessed already, then yes two guys were inside, robbing the store. When they ran out and jumped in their vehicle it wouldn't start. Since the manager had hit the silent alarm, the police arrived while the two guys were still trying to start the vehicle.

This happened several years ago, but I still have to hold her back whenever we go to a store and see a vehicle running with no one in it.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

NMB
    BAD IDEA blocking off the vehicle.

Say the burglar comes out and finds you parking behind him, you just cut off his escape, confrontation ensues, you shoot bad guy.

That sounds like you escalated the situation in prosecution lingo.

keep driving away, park down the street, call 911.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I honestly would not have called the police solely based on a "suspicious car" in my driveway, either. Could have been someone visiting a family member, someone parked in your parking space (happens a lot in tight parking situations for condos and houses in urban areas), etc. Now, had it been seen that a door/window/etc was also broken into... then yeah I wouldn't just run in to see what was going on.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

NMB
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    I honestly would not have called the police solely based on a "suspicious car" in my driveway, either. Could have been someone visiting a family member, someone parked in your parking space (happens a lot in tight parking situations for condos and houses in urban areas), etc. Now, had it been seen that a door/window/etc was also broken into... then yeah I wouldn't just run in to see what was going on.
    I would park down the block, call my fiancee, if she wasnt home, and nobody else was supposed to be there. I would call the dispatch (non-emergency) and tell them there was a suspicious vehicle in my drive way.

Problem solved, no harm no foul.
    NRA Member

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    BAD IDEA blocking off the vehicle.

Say the burglar comes out and finds you parking behind him, you just cut off his escape, confrontation ensues, you shoot bad guy.

That sounds like you escalated the situation in prosecution lingo.

keep driving away, park down the street, call 911.
    I'm not "blocking" anything. I'm coming home and parking in my driveway where I live. That's "normalcy" in defense lingo.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

NMB
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I'm not "blocking" anything. I'm coming home and parking in my driveway where I live. That's "normalcy" in defense lingo.
    Several people above you said block the car in. If I smelled something bad, I would get away from the situation asap. Blocking the car in does NOTHING to help the situation. It only increases the odds of something bad happening.
    NRA Member

- C.S. Lewis

My first inclination was to block the suspicious vehicle and call 911. You don't have to stay close to the scene, you're just reducing the chances of the suspects getting away easily.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    That depends on the layout of the driveway. My driveway is wide enough for three cars to park side by side. If I blocked the other car in, I wouldn't be able to call it "parking."

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    I would... but I have a definition in mind for "suspicious." An unusual/different car in my driveway might not raise alarm. There might be other clues that make it "suspicious." Clues that have nothing to do with the vehicle at all... that's what I mean... Sure, obviously, if a door is ajar on the house or a window broken.... Full alarm bells... But, what if something just doesn't "feel" right? Most of us have an innate sense of when something is hinky. We need to trust the voices in our heads sometimes.

I'm going to add this book to my sig line: The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker
    MrsHB likes this.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links