Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL

This is a discussion on Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He isn't just leave the scene. He went to his hotel room, packed his stuff and left the city - back home to Brevard County, ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL

Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL

He isn't just leave the scene. He went to his hotel room, packed his stuff and left the city - back home to Brevard County, several hours away. He also never made a call to the police. There's a big difference in what he did than staying in an unsafe area
    Toorop and wraithls1 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    He isn't just leave the scene. He went to his hotel room, packed his stuff and left the city - back home to Brevard County, several hours away. He also never made a call to the police. There's a big difference in what he did than staying in an unsafe area
    This ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymann View Post
    I can just see the whole picture this guy had and I can relate. , with the dammed noisy and obnoxious, rap music, being basically a public nusiance to everyone, and not giving a turd about it either. He's got his lady friend with him (I think he does.) so he's in "protect her" mode. They make it FAR WORSE by making threats and insulting him, possibly her too. He's seeing what, four or them right next to his car? With the rap music and with the threats. I'd be thinking about what are they going to do next? Try to jump me? Vandalize the car? Pull a blade? Pull a piece? Something. What are they going to try? I'd have my hand on the pistol for sure, maybe discretely maybe not. He's getting a serious case of nerves going then sees a gun in movement. He can't just stand there, and he's got to do something NOW! Open up!

Now that's the picture for him. Did he really see a gun or did he just think he saw one? If I saw a gun out AFTER the threats, I would of opened up too. There would of been at least one dead guy on the recieving end too.

I guess it might be a good thing to put yourselves in this guys's shoes emotionally and not just be Mr. Perfect Monday Morning Quarterback about it.

DMJ
    As I said before, when you carry you have a HUGE responsibility to the public. "Emotions" have no place here, you deal strictly with facts and that's that.

If he developed Tunnel vision as you propose then he is not only putting the situation into overdrive and over reacting (which resulted in the death of a kid) but he is also putting the general public at risk. What if one of those rounds had hit a little kid on the sidewalk past the Durango? Is that still defensible?

As a responsible gun owner you are RESPONSIBLE for every single bullet you fire and shooting 8 rounds into a full automobile and then taking off is NOT in any way defensible or responsible behavior. If someone can't follow those rules and accept the responsibility then they have NO business carrying a gun at all. I'm not calling for gun legislation or anything like that. I'm talking about personal responsibility and the responsibility we gun owners have to the general public.

I'll admit that I don't like a lot of things that the public does but that does NOT give me the right to start shooting people indiscriminately.

I don't care what color of skin the occupants of that Durango were, they did NOT draw on him, he did NOT identify a clear target, he escalated a non violent situation into a deadly one. There is no morning quarterbacking here, this is a simple observation of the facts as we know them and Mr. Dunn was 100% in the wrong and I don't care how scared he was of the black children in the car at the gas station, the fact remains that they didn't approach him, they didn't have a gun and they posed no clear and present danger to him, and finally, words don't kill.

If you are going to shoot someone you had better be 100% sure of what is actually happening and if you are too emotional to make that distinction than you don't need to be carrying a loaded gun.
    Toorop likes this.

VIP Member
    Good point, if I considered the area to be unsafe I would leave also BUT I would be on the phone with 911 advising them of my actions and where I would meet them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Re: Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL

I can just see the whole picture this guy had and I can relate with the dammed noisy and obnoxious, rap music, being basically a public nusiance to everyone, and not giving a turd about it either. He's got his lady friend with him (I think he does.) so he's in "protect her" mode. They make it FAR WORSE by making threats and insulting him, possibly her too. He's seeing what, four or them right next to his car? With the rap music and with the threats. I'd be thinking about what are they going to do next? Try to jump me? Vandalize the car? Pull a blade? Pull a piece? Something. What are they going to try? I'd have my hand on the pistol for sure, maybe discretely maybe not. He's getting a serious case of nerves going then sees a gun in movement. He can't just stand there, and he's got to do something NOW! Open up!

Now that's the picture for him. Did he really see a gun or did he just think he saw one? If I saw a gun out AFTER the threats, I would of opened up too. There would of been at least one dead guy on the recieving end too.

I guess it might be a good thing to put yourselves in this guys's shoes emotionally and not just be Mr. Perfect Monday Morning Quarterback about it.

DMJ
    You lost me at "black freaks"...
    Ogien, rigel42, Lish and 2 others like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I can just see the whole picture this guy had and I can relate. , with the dammed noisy and obnoxious, rap music, being basically a public nusiance to everyone, and not giving a turd about it either. He's got his lady friend with him (I think he does.) so he's in "protect her" mode. They make it FAR WORSE by making threats and insulting him, possibly her too. He's seeing what, four or them right next to his car? With the rap music and with the threats. I'd be thinking about what are they going to do next? Try to jump me? Vandalize the car? Pull a blade? Pull a piece? Something. What are they going to try? I'd have my hand on the pistol for sure, maybe discretely maybe not. He's getting a serious case of nerves going then sees a gun in movement. He can't just stand there, and he's got to do something NOW! Open up!

DMJ
    I should have hit the "report"icon after the black freak remark but I will let the mods judge that one. Anyway, the gun was in his glove compartment according to his lawyer. If he was jittery about this gang of thugs why did he apporach them and tell them to turn the music down? Don't buy it at all. If yo get that jittery and use that much poor judgement then you should not be carrying a gun.

As far as him leaving the scene..he did not call the police and seemed like he had no intention to do so. And it is not his job to determine if a shooting is justified. If you discharge your firearm in a manner where there is a threat and what appears to be the city limits you are wrong to not go to the police station or call 911 to notify them.

I have no idea where your mind is tryin to jusity this murder but I hope the ani's that read this forum understand tha the majority of us think this guy needs ro be behind bars.

BTW: If this is how you see the world and your own litmus test for being jittery, sir, high highly recommend you do not leave your house armed.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

As a Florida permit holder I am actually pissed at this guy for putting my rights in jeopardy. I'm sure they were acting like Jerks and I really hate inconsiderate people, but nowhere did this situation require deadly force. The jerks did not physically touch him and the official fact is "No Guns" were found. I can make no logical argument for Mr Done's case and that makes the 99.99% of (responsible) gun owners look bad. Maybe I'll eat my words after the trail, but I hope he gets life.

This is the result: (cred.gunfreezone.net)
    CSGV got itself a thesarus and a new catch word. | Gun Free Zone

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Jollymann ... This individual met none of the responsibilities that go with the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon. Not only did he not notify law enforcement, he fled the city with every intention of never being found. His actions were totally irresponsible in every aspect no matter what the situation was at his location.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Yeah, I get your point with this. It looks wierd. He didn't want to stay in that county. He wanted to get home.

Leaving isn't running from the law in that case.
    As I said, it still implies much, in the minds of many. No way around that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

subscribed
    steffen and Toorop like this.

I can just see the whole picture this guy had and I s, with the dammed noisy and obnoxious, rap music, being basically a public nusiance to everyone, and not giving a turd about it either. He's got his lady friend with him (I think he does.) so he's in "protect her" mode. They make it FAR WORSE by making threats and insulting him, possibly her too. He's seeing what, four or them right next to his car? With the rap music and with the threats. I'd be thinking about what are they going to do next? Try to jump me? Vandalize the car? Pull a blade? Pull a piece? Something. What are they going to try? I'd have my hand on the pistol for sure, maybe discretely maybe not. He's getting a serious case of nerves going then sees a gun in movement. He can't just stand there, and he's got to do something NOW! Open up!

DMJ
    And do you think the response would be the same if it was a bunch of white kids listening to Eric Clapton or Willie Nelson? If not why not?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    As I said, it still implies much, in the minds of many. No way around that.
    There would be times when you do what you have to do in spite of what the average person thinks about it. But yeah there's an implication there. I see your point. OK. For instance, with the 911 calling stuff. If I were involved in a shooting of just about any kind at a gas station where I thought I was in a really bad neighborhood, and I had just wacked a typical member of that bad neighborhood for good reasons, there's no way I'd stand around making calls at a pay phone leaving my butt hanging out there waiting for police to come. No way at all. I'd drive away and probably report it from some where else. Preferably at home. Most especially if I had someone else with me who's safety I'm responsible for, like the woman with the guy. It's not just the hoods in the area I'd be concerned about, but overreacting cops who might get trigger happy on me. If it's off the scene, and later on, maybe they're not so hardboiled about it. I suppose since at that point it's not an emergency you might even use a different police number. If that looks worse to some people then I only care so much about that. You have to be practical for yourself. Well that's my thinking anyway.

Some people are just full of hate.
    goldshellback likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    And do you think the response would be the same if it was a bunch of white kids listening to Eric Clapton or Willie Nelson? If not why not?
    If heard ANY teenager listening to Clapton or Willie *read real music* I'd be in such a shocked state I'd trip over my jaw.

There would be times when you do what you have to do in spite of what the average person thinks about it. But yeah there's an implication there. I see your point. OK. For instance, with the 911 calling stuff. If I were involved in a shooting of just about any kind at a gas station where I thought I was in a really bad neighborhood, and I had just wacked a typical member of that bad neighborhood for good reasons, there's no way I'd stand around making calls at a pay phone leaving my butt hanging out there waiting for police to come. No way at all. I'd drive away and probably report it from some where else. Preferably at home. Most especially if I had someone else with me who's safety I'm responsible for, like the woman with the guy. It's not just the hoods in the area I'd be concerned about, but overreacting cops who might get trigger happy on me. If it's off the scene, and later on, maybe they're not so hardboiled about it. I suppose since at that point it's not an emergency you might even use a different police number. If that looks worse to some people then I only care so much about that. You have to be practical for yourself. Well that's my thinking anyway.
    The problem with your thinking is that you are judged by your peers based on what a "normal person" would do in the given situation.

Whacking somebody is murder.

Who is to say this guy was even in the "hood." How do you define that?

You should start thinking about getting a lawyer. You seriously sound like you are looking for a reason to kill somebody.
    Toorop and macg19 like this.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links