Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL - Page 7

Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL

This is a discussion on Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Update: Teen victim's father hopes to prevent tragedies | News - Home His top priority is to get rid of the "stand your ground" law ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL

Update:
    Teen victim's father hopes to prevent tragedies | News - Home

His top priority is to get rid of the "stand your ground" law -- a law Michael Dunn's attorney may use in his defense.
    Altough this probly deserves it's own thread, the victim's father is moving to 'fix' Florida's laws
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    They already had a committee to evaluate and address any "problems" with the laws. None were found. Normally I would just wish the father good luck, but in this case, I do not wish him good luck in his endeavors. Maybe he should have taught his son the three stupid rules. And the laws are irrelevent to this case unless some new info has come out. The only way his argument about the laws would make sense is if he waited until after the trail, and the guy got off. At least let the justice system do it's job before you start condemning the laws.
    goldshellback and Moops like this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Really?.... Seriously?.... They were of a certain appearence?... Is that a factor contributing to justification of the use of deadly force? They played loud music that some people dont like? They stood up to some random guy making unjustified demands on them? How does any of this contribute to the use of deadly force?
    The point was, simply: the totality of the circumstances leads a person to feel either more or less threatened.

The "look" (for lack of a better term) of someone who's approaching on the street has a lot to do with whether one feels that person's cranked on something, angry/livid (or worse), dressed inappropriately for the weather (ie, all "dolled" up on a 95* day, suggesting that out-of-place get-up has some ulterior motive), doing everything to play the part of a meth/crack head, whatever. The "look" is just one of the various things that gets added to the actual verbal assault, the words themselves, the actions being taken by the others, whether they appear to have weaponry, whether they've "unsheathed" that weaponry, their proximity, how many "assailants" there are, whether they're egging each other on and/or supporting each other in the assaulting behavior, and so on. Totality of circumstances. Nothing more. Certainly, I had no intention of folks inferring that superfluous elements such as a person's mere pigmentation or clothing choices elevate the threat.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

We all see a lot of stuff nowadays that makes us mad. Just like the other day I see young men wearing their pants down past their buttocks. This done in front of my wife and children. I want to say something because I'm offended by feeling that we are being disrespected by having my family exposed to this rude and crude behavior. Also abt every other word out of their mouth was mother this and mother that. If I had said something to these young adults I would probably gotten involved in a argument that heads downhill fast. So the smart and logical thing to do is get away from them. This guy should have never said anything to start with, pumped his gas and just left. Confronting trouble will more than likely bring on more then you care for. Hotheads and idiots don't need to be around weapons, but how you control that I just don't know. This type of stuff will continue to occur and it's very bad publicity for the majority of law abiding gun owners.

People need to think before they put their thoughts and mouths in action.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Update:
    Teen victim's father hopes to prevent tragedies | News - Home

Altough this probly deserves it's own thread, the victim's father is moving to 'fix' Florida's laws
    Florida's laws don't need "fixing." People need to follow Florida gun laws.
    goldshellback and Lish like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Mo-ron.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    We all see a lot of stuff nowadays that makes us mad. Just like the other day I see young men wearing their pants down past their buttocks.
    Every time I see dumbaces that wear their pants sagging showing underwear I have to resist the urge to run up and shove them and watch them fall over. You know they couldn't possibly run fast enough to catch you while holding up their pants.
    accessbob likes this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt45 View Post
    I'd like to cut this guy as much slack as I can, BUT, no gun, he ran. IF he drove off a short distance and called the cops maybe, but dumping a magazine into a strange car and then fleeing does not bode well for him. I do expect to see jail time in this case. Opening his mouth to a carload of blacks over loud music was just plain stupid. Sounds a little like "I've got a gun and I ain't backing down from anybody" syndrome - not good.
    Are you kidding me? They are more dangerous because they are black? With that logic, we're all more dangerous because we carry guns. fml.
    ExaltedOne likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    We all see a lot of stuff nowadays that makes us mad. Just like the other day I see young men wearing their pants down past their buttocks. This done in front of my wife and children. I want to say something because I'm offended by feeling that we are being disrespected by having my family exposed to this rude and crude behavior. Also abt every other word out of their mouth was mother this and mother that. If I had said something to these young adults I would probably gotten involved in a argument that heads downhill fast.
    This is probably true. I see the same thing and wonder what would possess someone to go out in public with their pants only half-on. But I don't feel personally insulted by it, and I don't worry that my son will be exposed to it. He's going to experience idiots in life. Best that he get used to it now. Totally agree that no good can come from confronting the situation.

But I digress...

I was pumping gas last night at the same station that this incident happened, and a group of 20-30s age white guys were blaring music in their car. Their color did not affect my level of annoyance. Nevertheless, I saw no need to confront them.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Where I live it's all white kids that drive obnoxious cars and blast music. The correlation with race doesnt make any sense. And I couldnt care less how anyone wears their pants. The fashion police probably shouldn't be carrying guns if they're that upset by it.
    hogwildmike likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    But those exposed skidmarks . . .
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

New documents include witness statements in Dunn case
    New documents include witness statements in Dunn case | News - Home

New updates in this case. It ain't looking good for Mr. Dunn.....
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Curzyk View Post
    I don't see how firing 8 rounds into a neighboring vehicle of teens is going to "stop" a "threat". It sounds like they were attempting to pull away once he brandished his firearm. That right there should have been enough to alleviate any perceived threat that the shooter felt.
    I couldn't agree more. It's people like this moron that should have NEVER been approved for a CHCL to begin with, imo.

...the antis would love your opinion in front of a subcommittee...I believe what we should do is just what they're doing...approve all who HAVEN'T done stupid/illegal things with guns and broken the law...and punish severely those who DO...not the rest of the masses they'd love to EXCLUDE ...looks like in his case the system's working fairly...

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    You know you can talk about this all you want but none of us really know what happened.
    Like the Sandy Hook thing, what really happened? We know people are dead but we do not know the sequence of events, what guns used, not used ect. First one thing is reported then something totally different. We are fed so much disinformation what can you believe? The reporting these days are calculated to confuse and stir irresponsible emotions.
    goldshellback likes this.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links