Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL

This is a discussion on Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Didn't see this posted yet. Shooting of Florida teen is no Trayvon Martin case, attorney says - CNN.com The live coverage i saw saw said ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Bad: License holder opens up on SUV of teens in FL

Didn't see this posted yet.

Shooting of Florida teen is no Trayvon Martin case, attorney says - CNN.com

The live coverage i saw saw said he left the scene, but i don't see that in any of the articles. The lawyer sounds like an idiot:

""That's ridiculous. Michael is not a vigilante," the attorney said. "He's a brilliant software developer. It was never his intention to kill anyone."

He's an CHL holder and fired 8 rounds into a vehicle...of course he meant to kill someone.

I don't see how firing 8 rounds into a neighboring vehicle of teens is going to "stop" a "threat". It sounds like they were attempting to pull away once he brandished his firearm. That right there should have been enough to alleviate any perceived threat that the shooter felt.
    hogwildmike and ccw9mm like this.

Lots of proverbial crap being flung around in that article amidst the comments and comparisons. Bottom line is the shooter sounds like an idiot in this case. He may be a brilliant software developer but lacks proper threat recognition. Probably screwed as I don't see a "thought" of seeing a weapon and recklessly shooting 8 shots into a car load of teenagers grounds for forgiveness even for a SYG claim.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Depends on the reasonableness of the threat.

From the perspective of the elements described in this one, initial news report, there's no mention of what the level of threat actually was (only his opinion), what the verbal "threats" were (ie, "I'm gonna kill you, sucka," or "Your momma wears combat boots"), whether they were exiting the car, had "blood/murder in their eyes," and so on.

The painted picture seems to be, basically, that: they were sitting in the car, issuing threatening speech, not provoking deadly threat via firearm/knife/exiting, and he shot at them.

It might be tough to convince a GJ on the reasonableness of that, depending on the details.

If at a gas station, I wonder if there's video.
    Jollymann likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sounds an awful lot like this guy's gonna do time. Shooting into a car (and I don't know the threats that were leveled at the shooter) isn't good.

Yeah, he fired his gun at the SUV so he ment to kill.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Not good. Eight rounds? For cryin' out loud...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Big mouths leading to bigger bangs. There will be no winners in this incident.
    mprp, mano3 and NewtownSam like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

If at a gas station, I wonder how many other folks witnessed the situation, and whether they've given their statements to the investigators.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah, I've just heard about this story today on CNN. It seems the teens were playing their car stereo very loudly at the gas station. The (now) shooter pulled in and was (I suppose) pumping gas at the neighboring pump. He must have been bothered by the loud music and he "asked" (not sure how he confronted them really thus the quotes) them to turn the music down.

He then, as has been stated either by him or his lawyer, THOUGHT he saw them aiming a gun at him so he pulled out his concealed weapon (he had(s) a permit) and fired 8 times into their vehicle and we now know killed one of the teens.

He did drive away after shooting into the car but turned himself in a day or so later.

Here is where the proverbial "fly in the ointment" pops up. It seems that Police searched the teens SUV thoroughly and they DIDN'T find a gun of any type. This is where things get sticky as this guys whole legal defense was that he was in fear for his life and thus defended himself.

I haven't formed an opinion on this case as I know much too little about all the details but if he fired 8 times into an SUV full of juveniles who, as it turns out, weren't armed. This could, and quite likely will be, his downfall.

I don't know if you guys agree with me but I'm guessing that the guy who did the shooting either had absolutely no training (and I'm a strong proponent of firearm training for every one) and/or he may have had alcohol in his system. Lets not forget that he drove away from the scene and only turned himself in the following day which would have been enough time to "sober up."

I don't know, I'm just speculating but I don't think he has a very strong case for self defense based on the little info I've heard thus far.
    rigel42 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Not good. Eight rounds? For cryin' out loud...
    My guess is he wasn't carrying 2-3 extra mags or there'd been a lot more shots fired.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I wonder if anyone heard the threats.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

This is another one of those, "I don't know until I hear more details". From the video, the attorney says that the individuals in the SUV were shouting things like, "Kill that Mother F------", "That MF is dead", etc, and says that he saw a shotgun. If I heard threats like that being made towards me and thought I saw a gun, maybe I'd think twice about whether my life was in jeopardy or not.
    dukalmighty likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    This is another one of those, "I don't know until I hear more details". From the video, the attorney says that the individuals in the SUV were shouting things like, "Kill that Mother F------", "That MF is dead", etc, and says that he saw a shotgun. If I heard threats like that being made towards me and thought I saw a gun, maybe I'd think twice about whether my life was in jeopardy or not.
    Problem is that the teens did NOT have a firearm of any sort. He could have driven away, he could have run into the gas station kiosk, he could have done any number of things first before pulling a weapon and firing into a car full of kids. Ones firearm is not the first line of defense it's the LAST form of defense.

He didn't know what he was doing, had no business (apparently) carrying a firearm and definitely did NOT identify the target. He just started shooting into a car with no clearly defined target.
    3wggl and DoctorBob like this.

Just what we dont need here in the sunshine state

This fool needs to fry
    darbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
    Problem is that the teens did NOT have a firearm of any sort. He could have driven away, he could have run into the gas station kiosk, he could have done any number of things first before pulling a weapon and firing into a car full of kids. Ones firearm is not the first line of defense it's the LAST form of defense.

He didn't know what he was doing, had no business (apparently) carrying a firearm and definitely did NOT identify the target. He just started shooting into a car with no clearly defined target.
    All sorts of problems in this case. But since we weren't there, we can't say for sure that he didn't at least think that he saw a gun. We all have deduced so far that this guy wasn't the smartest of sorts, but putting myself in his shoes, if threats of that kind were being made toward me, and I was sure that I had seen a gun being aimed at me, I'd be concerned for my safety.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links