GOOD: NYPD officer buys boots for homeless man - Page 2

GOOD: NYPD officer buys boots for homeless man

This is a discussion on GOOD: NYPD officer buys boots for homeless man within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saw him interviewed on the news this AM. Very cool guy. He carries the receipt for the boots under his vest....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: GOOD: NYPD officer buys boots for homeless man

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Saw him interviewed on the news this AM. Very cool guy. He carries the receipt for the boots under his vest.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

God bles this officer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I don't think this reflects on his chosen profession as much as it reflects on his character, compassion and decency.

^Thats what I was^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thinking as well.

Guys got a kind soul.

From article;
    "He smiled from ear to ear," DePrimo said. "It was like you gave him a million dollars."

END.

All the reason in the world to do unto others.
    Remy likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    The definition of public servant. I hope that guy gets a raise.
    probably not. His boss/supervisor will get the raise for training his fellow officers to be kind.. u know how it goes. i work hard and my superior gets the rewards

Kudos for his display of compassion. I hear enough bad news, so this was a refreshing change. I know there are plenty of folks out there who care, but it's good to see it in action!!!
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

There are many good people in this world and it is those that fight against evil that keep it a good world. Well done sir!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Yes, it was a great thing to do. He is a prime example of a person who actually cares. You don't seem to see them around as much anymore, but they are there.
    Well, You don't see them around much because that type of person doesn't seek the limelight. The only reason we all even know about this one was because a tourist spotted it and filmed it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I hope it is not a scam by the homeless individual.
    Appears barefoot, people give him money for shoes or "buy" him shoes, then he turns around & sells them.

He has been seen barefoot on the streets again, claims he has the boots "hidden".

Hope I am wrong.....

Terrific deed by the officer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight...unless it's strapped to a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by From the new/update
    He says he's grateful for the gift, but he wants "a piece of the pie" because the photo was posted online "without permission."
    Hm. There is no more "pie," bub. You got the "pie" given to you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    What people need to realize is that despite the officer's sincere intent, many of the street folks are living that way because they want to. Short of placing them in a mental facility, there's not much anyone can do except provide help--if it will be accepted.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What people need to realize is that despite the officer's sincere intent, many of the street folks are living that way because they want to. Short of placing them in a mental facility, there's not much anyone can do except provide help--if it will be accepted.
    Yep...in 1994 I was living in Clarkston MI about 30 miles north of Detroit. The temperature was predicted to be 20 -30 below zero one winter night and the local homeless shelters in Detroit were driving around in vans trying to pick up homeless people and take them to shelters. A TV news crew was following one of the vans and recorded one of the encounters for the late news. In it there were 3 homeless men sleeping in refrigerator boxes on the street. They absolutely refused to get in the van and be taken to a shelter. They'd rather take their chances in 30 below weather than leave the streets for a night. Whattya gonna do?

If only more of our fellow human beings could exhibit such compassion for one another. Highly commendable, we can all take a lesson...
    Skygod likes this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

It's called "Honor" Those less fortunate can alway's use a slight helping hand. If it's socks and a pair of boots then be it. If it's a lift up from drug addiction then let's also help those up on their feet.

It's a much better world when we reach out beyond ourselves and give some less fortunate a lift up !!

"If your looking down on someone then you should be helping them up"

This crowd is one that I have faith in that conducts theirselves in this way.

If he wants a "piece of the pie" then I'm willing to help him up if he wants too help himself up as well.

Skygod sends.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

He has hidden the boots because he fears they are worth more than his life. And he may well be right. Is it more important that we provide him with boots or a place that allows him to wear them. Could it be that that same circumstances That allow so many to end up where he is are the same ones that make it so he can't wear his boots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links