Sub-forum idea: "In the news: Everything Else"

This is a discussion on Sub-forum idea: "In the news: Everything Else" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think it may be time to create a new sub-forum on Defensive Carry where users can post stories that do not have anything to ...

Thread: Sub-forum idea: "In the news: Everything Else"

Sub-forum idea: "In the news: Everything Else"

I think it may be time to create a new sub-forum on Defensive Carry where users can post stories that do not have anything to do with self defense.

It seems that this forum ( In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: In the news encounters with the bad guys, with both successful, and not so successful, outcomes. Armed citizens have a fighting chance against criminals; those without are at their mercy.) has become sort of a catch-all for seemingly ALL interesting news stories regardless of whether they have to do with self-defense or not.

Many of these stories I read on here have nothing to do with firearms or self-defense and are already on the Drudge Report. While many of these stories are indeed interesting they are off-topic for this particular sub-forum. A solution would be to create another sub-forum which can serve as a catch-all for these stories, and keep this the Good the Bad and the Ugly as an area exclusively for stories about stories where armed citizens defend themselves.

Administrators, would it be possible for you to create a new forum where people can go to post and read these off-topic stories?
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

2. Remove Ads

If you want to discuss guns and self defense this is the place.

If you want to discuss politics etc go to a forum designed for political disscussions.

I love this site because it helps filter out all the other BS right wing stuff I see on other forums.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by dtox View Post
    I think it may be time to create a new sub-forum on Defensive Carry where users can post stories that do not have anything to do with self defense.

It seems that this forum ( In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: In the news encounters with the bad guys, with both successful, and not so successful, outcomes. Armed citizens have a fighting chance against criminals; those without are at their mercy.) has become sort of a catch-all for seemingly ALL interesting news stories regardless of whether they have to do with self-defense or not.

Many of these stories I read on here have nothing to do with firearms or self-defense and are already on the Drudge Report. While many of these stories are indeed interesting they are off-topic for this particular sub-forum. A solution would be to create another sub-forum which can serve as a catch-all for these stories, and keep this the Good the Bad and the Ugly as an area exclusively for stories about stories where armed citizens defend themselves.

Administrators, would it be possible for you to create a new forum where people can go to post and read these off-topic stories?
    Already have one... called, remarkably: Off Topic& Humor...

These admins... they're prescient like that, they think of everything! It's amazing.

SIXTO, of course, is THE ring leader, at least in the prescient department...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Agree, on the "split" (or sub) forums

• Defense/carry-related: In The News: Defense/Carry related
    • Any other news: In The News: Misc/Other (NOT related to Defense/Carry)

Though, it'll still appear in the "New Posts" lists.

Hm. There's a thought. Allow configurable user parameters to designate which forums are desired for display in lists (new, searches, etc), versus ones not desired to be listed. A "favorites" type flagging, set by each person, defaulting to list=yes, but settable to list=no, on a forum-by-forum basis. I wonder if that sort of thing's a vB feature.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Already have one... called, remarkably: Off Topic& Humor...
    Maybe it's just an awareness issue and/or enforcement issue.
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Re: Sub-forum idea: "In the news: Everything Else"

Quote Originally Posted by dtox View Post
    Maybe it's just an awareness issue and/or enforcement issue.
    This is exactly what it is.

The 'In the News' forum used to be more strictly regulated.

Off topic stuff should go in the existing off topic location.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Links