Fox Sports Author Blames 2A for KC Chiefs Shooting

This is a discussion on Fox Sports Author Blames 2A for KC Chiefs Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are so many things wrong with the man's thinking, I don't even know where to begin. First of all, the muderer wasn't a kid; ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Fox Sports Author Blames 2A for KC Chiefs Shooting

VIP Member
    There are so many things wrong with the man's thinking, I don't even know where to begin. First of all, the muderer wasn't a kid; he was a full-fledged, free-will wielding 25 year old adult. The author starts off rightfully complaining about the NFL's insensitivity to a double tragedy in deciding to have the game proceed and then wildly careens off-course into a diatribe about the 2nd amendment and gun violence. As long as he and people like him continue to blame the gun and not the gunman,we will never be able to get people to accept responsibility for their actions.

God rest the two souls whose lives were ended by the muderous actions of a determined individual. Thank God for the United States where we have at least a chance to defend ourselves against the muderers that will always walk amongst us.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Seems that an awful lot of NFL players are involved in crimes using guns.

We should ban the NFL.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

The response by Costas' spokesperson regarding guns and gun control issues doesn't make me feel any better...actually it's got me riled up all over again!
    NBC's Bob Costas' take on criticism of his gun comments

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    Who among you thinks anybody's position on gun control will change due to what a talking head said on TV in the wake of another idiot shooting somebody or committing suicide?
    Many of the unthinking minds will. Which is why advertisers and agenda-pushers use their microphones to such effect so frequently. Whether it will in this specific case is a guess. But pushing for such things is why it's done: it has a track record of influencing people's opinions, overall. Everyone's different. And in a fight "to the death" like this, every little bit helps.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Why didn't he just kill her with his hands, then? Guns make killing easy. That's the whole point of guns - to efficiently kill humans and animals. Beating someone to death without a weapon doesn't happen that often.
    Okay, starting a housefire is easier with matches than with rubbing two sticks...so?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    All the laws stating that killing someone did a lot of good. No laws, no banning of items, could have prevented this. Domestic violence is not something that can be legislated away.
    You mean that domestic violence is not something that can be legislated away by banning items but that society is right to redress by sanction (jail, restraining order) of the offender?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Costas is a pin-headed moron about any issue other than sports. He should stick to his core competencies and stop demonstrating his utter incompetence in subjects outside of his expertise.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I'm not sure what point you're making here. Yes, shooting someone is easier than stabbing or beating but what are you saying? Ban handguns? You say you are pro-gun but what your saying doesn't seem to support that. There are already many laws on the books that regulate guns. What would you do that would prevent a killing like this from happening?
    I'm not saying ban handguns. I'm as pro gun as anybody else, probably more so than most posters here. My point is that when these threads come up, the pro gun crowd (members of this site) get enraged and call people names and make opinion based arguments to support guns. I would argue that if gun rights are to be preserved, there are better ways to go about it.

The article by Whitlock states that if the player didn't own a handgun, then the crime wouldn't have been committed. I would say this is almost undoubtedly true. Everybody is all riled up about the mention of "gun control," but if he didn't have a handgun, do you really think there would have been a murder/suicide (with the emphasis on the suicide)? My guess is that he might not have actually killed his girlfriend (yes, the linebacker may have beaten her, but there is a better chance she would have lived) and I doubt he would have killed himself.

Guns are not a particularly great thing. It's just a tool that is very useful in extreme situations. Many, many, many people in this country see gun people as raving lunatics. That is not an exaggeration. Maybe to fight this issue, gun owners should stop some of the simple minded, nonsensical arguments and focus on real data or find more rational arguments, because the "inanimate object" line isn't holding up.

What would I do to prevent this? Who knows? Who cares? I believe in freedom. With this comes much less restrictive gun laws, but it also means that each individual is primarily responsible for their safety.

I don't have the answers. I would just like to present a point of view that hasn't been heard and may be useful.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    Dude, Im all for backing up the other side (liberal.) here, but not on guns. I dont like the total "we are all conservative." bit, but I definitely like the "we all love guns and unregulated unrestrained 2nd amendment rights" feel. This is the one area alternative opinions are not welcome.
    (I speak only for myself and not the fine folks that run and moderate this site.)
    What are you talking about? Do you even carry again up there in MA?

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    What are you talking about? Do you even carry again up there in MA?
    Yes I do. Im saying there is no such thing as a good gun law, not one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    You mean that domestic violence is not something that can be legislated away by banning items but that society is right to redress by sanction (jail, restraining order) of the offender?
    Domestic violence is an issue that has no simple answers. Look at how well the restraining order worked in Milwaukee. Jail just delays actions. It's a poor way of handling things at this point.

I don't claim to have answers for the issue. I've seen it, I've been part of discussions with people being abused, and I don't have a clue how to deal with the issue as a society. The only thing that can be done is to make certain young people, women more so than men, are confident in themselves. That seems to help prevent people from getting into abusive situations. Even then, that isn't enough sometimes.

Alot of these young fellas / players have gang affiliation today......guns, knives.....heck my neighbor years ago used a Stanley Hammer on his poor wife.....why blame the tool and not the fool......I'm just tired of hearing the Left spew their garbage and not clean it up.......and who takes anything Bob Costas says seriously anyway.......Jackass......and should IMO......be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Alot of these young fellas / players have gang affiliation today......guns, knives.....heck my neighbor years ago used a Stanley Hammer on his poor wife.....why blame the tool and not the fool......I'm just tired of hearing the Left spew their garbage and not clean it up.......and who takes anything Bob Costas says seriously anyway.......Jackass......and should IMO......be fired.
    well hank williams got fired for expressing his opinion on obama while not working but bob can say this at HALFTIME of a primetime game and says it as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    well hank williams got fired for expressing his opinion on obama while not working but bob can say this at HALFTIME of a primetime game and says it as fact.
    " expressing his opinion", Really? He didn't just say he didn't like Obama, he compared him to Hitler! Then he said this gem ""We’ve got a Muslim for a President who hates cowboys, hates cowgirls, hates fishing, hates farming, loves gays, and we hate him," Williams Jr. bellowed. As the Dallas Sun reported, the crowd responded with a loud cheer. " So Im not gonna cry when people decide not to be associated with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    " expressing his opinion", Really? He didn't just say he didn't like Obama, he compared him to Hitler! Then he said this gem ""We’ve got a Muslim for a President who hates cowboys, hates cowgirls, hates fishing, hates farming, loves gays, and we hate him," Williams Jr. bellowed. As the Dallas Sun reported, the crowd responded with a loud cheer. " So Im not gonna cry when people decide not to be associated with him.
    fine, but what costas did is WORSE because he used his position during the job he's getting paid for to say something horribly inaccurate, damaging, and nearly slanderous. obviously NBC agrees with it all, but it's an interesting double standard.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links