14 Year Old shoots/kills home intruder... - Page 2

14 Year Old shoots/kills home intruder...

This is a discussion on 14 Year Old shoots/kills home intruder... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Also...the last part of the article...it sounds like the ex-wife is advocating those with drug habits should be locked up forever...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Also...the last part of the article...it sounds like the ex-wife is advocating those with drug habits should be locked up forever

Question Are drug addicts, better off in jail, or even better off dead?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Also...the last part of the article...it sounds like the ex-wife is advocating those with drug habits should be locked up forever
    I concur with your assesment. I also agree with the ex-wife that had he not been paroled, this could have been avoided.

The drug problem is likely the foundation of the VAST majority of crime in this country.

My brother in law has been in and out of jail and prison for the past twenty years. (he's 36) He is a doper, crack head, whatever. He is not unable to support himeslf, he has a good trade and can make good money when he's off the drugs, but he can't seem to stay clean for more than a couple of months unless he's locked up. He even steals from his own family. His family,(mother, father, and sister) and his children suffer the most, and that's the part that kills me.

IMHO - he should never be let out of jail, because jail is the only place where he is safe. But unfortuantely ther just isn't space in prisons to keep non-violent offenders like him locked up forever, and since i already pay for his kids, I don't want to have to support him too.

Anyway, they'll keep leting him out until he either gets killed, or commits a violent crime. He told me that 90% of the people in jail with him were there for crimes involving drugs or drug use. Meaning they were caught with drugs, or they commited a crime to get drug money, or they were on drugs when they commited the crime.

It's crazy, and I don't see how it can be resolved. Treatment seems to have little effect on a lot of these people, so what can you do?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    ...next thing, we'll find out that the kid used a "powerful 10mm handgun with hollow-point bullets designed to kill" and didn't start an IV on the BG and make him some chicken noodle soup after shooting him, so he's clearly guilty of murder.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    sending it to a Grand Jury? The DA can't make a decision?
    In Texas, ALL Felony Cases are sent to the Grand Jury - IT IS THE LAW.
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Update Story:

Grand Jury determines 14 year old shot in slf-defense.

http://kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5533012...

Also, a little "inside information" on what transpired.

Apparently, the two victims were able to get loose and run up to the Master Bedroom where they locked themselves in. The Perp was unaware because he was loading the victim's vehicle with items from the House. He was planning on stealing their vehicle filled with expensive items. When the Perp learned that the victims had gotten free and were hiding upstairs, he went to the kitchen and got a large knife and proceded to walk upstairs to the Bedroom where they were.

The Perp started banging/stabbing the locked bedroom door with the knife , telling them that he was going to kill them. By then, the 14 year old had already retrieved his fathers handgun which was kept locked underneath the Bed.

As the Perp broke through the Door, the 14 Y/O boy fired one shot. The shot hit the edge of the door frame and slightly ricocheted striking the Perp in the forehead right above the left eye. The handgun was fired AFTER the knife yielding Perp had achieved access by breaking the door.

Shooting was done in self-defense.

End of story.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I love happy endings.

Future CCW, right there. Maybe two or three if his parents have any brains.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    The Perp started banging/stabbing the locked bedroom door with the knife , telling them that he was going to kill them ... As the Perp broke through the Door, the 14 Y/O boy fired one shot.
    That kid had more presence of mind and patience than most would have, in a similar situation, I think. Knowing full well that they were going to be killed, and yet being able to wait until he had him in the sights. Good for him.

Another example how crucial it is to train 'em young.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    It's crazy, and I don't see how it can be resolved. Treatment seems to have little effect on a lot of these people, so what can you do?
    Treatment comes down to this: You can't treat someone who doesn't want treatment.

Sounds hopeless, I know.

Charlie
    Last edited by Only Glock; October 13th, 2006 at 12:28 AM.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

The kid should get a medal and some free ammo...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Reading the article where the BG's wife is talking I noticed they did not try to spin it anti gun at all and salute them for it. It's sad when you have to say that about peporting it correctly, but there are plenty of news sources that would have left out things like "while he was terrorizing a family" as they say several times. In fact I was so moved that I sent Jenny Suniga an email stating I though she had done a great job. I just feel if they write a story that pisses me off then I should let them know when I think they do a good job.

http://kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5522414

My hat goes off to the 14 year old for taking control of the situation and doing what had to be done. I just hope he gets past it no problem as sometimes even doing the right thing can be rough. Especially for a 14 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Only Glock View Post
    Treatment comes down to this: You can't treat someone who doesn't want treatment.

Sounds hopeless, I know.

Charlie
    Actually, I think it's even worse than that. I don't think you can succesfully treat the ones that want to get better because they are mentally and emotionally weak individuals to begin with.

They can only make it in completely controlled situations, like prison, in most cases. JMO

Well at least society doesn't have to fret over the BG in this story anymore, thanks to that kid's action. It's too bad that he had to do it though. But, I'm glad he did.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

+1 for Bob The Great!!!
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Happy ending thank God
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TC-TX View Post
    In Texas, ALL Felony Cases are sent to the Grand Jury - IT IS THE LAW.
    That is true, but generally only if the DA decides to prosecute the person. The requirement that all felony charges go before a grand jury is to protect the accused.

As a general rule, the prosecutor has a huge amount of discretion in whether or not he brings charges. However, in a major case like a SD shooting, alot of DA's don't want the heat associated with making the call so they submit it to the GJ and pass the buck.

Looking at the above quoted statement, it lacks anything to define what a "Felony Case" is. Generally, a "Felony Case" is a case where the DA has decided to prosecute someone for a felony. Thus, the DAs decision to prosecute is a prerequisite for it being a felony case.

all the best,

Joe

"at a home in the 4200 block of Ocean Drive."

Man, I hate when they do that.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links