14 Year Old shoots/kills home intruder...

This is a discussion on 14 Year Old shoots/kills home intruder... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5517114...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 14 Year Old shoots/kills home intruder...

14 Year Old shoots/kills home intruder...

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

2. Remove Ads

the teen fired a shot through the door and hit the intruder in the head,
    I had to read that line a couple times before i realized it was for real.

"We're investigating this as any homicide scene or suspicious death. What we'll do is put the evidence together, and we'll present it to the grand jury, and let them make a determination.
    What the heck is this???
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    What the heck is this???
    The D.A. is trying to determine whether the act of shooting through the door [and killing the Perp] justified a self-defense situation.

He's [D.A.] a freagin IDIOT.

I'll keep y'all updated as additional information is obtained.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    How much more clear-cut does it get?!

The guy forced a woman and her teenage son into their own house at knife-point, tied them up, and threatened to kill them while breaking through the door they were hiding behind. That sounds like deadly intent to me.

Sure, maybe the kid technically shouldn't have fired through the door blind, but given the circumstances, I can't blame him for doing so.

And for Mr. Bolding's information (one of the "horrified" neighbors), there wasn't a murder across the street. There was an act of self-defense that almost certainly prevented two actual murders.

...next thing, we'll find out that the kid used a "powerful 10mm handgun with hollow-point bullets designed to kill" and didn't start an IV on the BG and make him some chicken noodle soup after shooting him, so he's clearly guilty of murder.
    Last edited by Bob The Great; October 10th, 2006 at 12:35 AM. Reason: wanted to add something else

The DA's Balls Must Be Missing...

sending it to a Grand Jury? The DA can't make a decision? Must be close to election time...
    If the information in this is 'near' correct, I am bedazzled at this response...in Texas!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    ...next thing, we'll find out that the kid used a "powerful 10mm handgun with hollow-point bullets designed to kill" and didn't start an IV on the BG and make him some chicken noodle soup after shooting him, so he's clearly guilty of murder.
    roflmao!!!! So now DeSantis is going to have to start making shoulder rigs for a 1911 on one side and a can of soup & sterno on the other! Not to mention the backpack with the IV supplies, defibrllator, antibiotics, pain medicine, surgical instruments, and complete medical staff in tow (picture the Verizon commercials)!

No a vest doesn't "shout gun" but try carrying concealed with all this stuff!!!

Dave.

"Police said the 14-year old had gone home sick from school when the suspect broke in and threatened the boy and his mother with a knife. He tied them up, but they broke free, they grabbed a gun, and the 14-year-old fired through a crack in the door, killing the alleged burglar."

I think the part where they say that he fired through the door was just their way of paraphrasing it, or maybe trying to put an anti-gun, PC spin on the story. My guess would be that he could at least see some of the dirtbag... errr ummm, I mean the poor deceased, misunderstood victim of society, to get a headshot. That, or it was a VERY lucky shot.

As far as the grand jury, this is where the determination that it was self defense/justifiable is made in many states. This way, when the grand jury finds it justified (as the prosecutor can direct them to do), then they return a "not true bill" or they "refuse to indict" then the shooter can not be retried later for the same thing, due to double jeopardy. In TN, this is what makes the determination that enables the statute that exempts us from civil action as well. I am NOT a lawyer, but this is what I have found doing a great deal of reading the Tn Code.

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    IIRC _all_ such cases go to the grand jury in Texas, DA has no choice it's just their system. Kid won't be actually charged with anything unless GJ indicts. Grand jury will no-bill it if they feel it was self defense and that will be that.

It's actually a better syetem for CCWers than having the DA decide whether to prosecute on his own... a liberal DA can make someone who legitimately fired in self-defense jump thru alot of hoops and even spend time in jail before finally being aquitted. In Texas the DA has to convice a bunch of Texans that the BG didn't need killin'.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    sending it to a Grand Jury? The DA can't make a decision? Must be close to election time...
    If the information in this is 'near' correct, I am bedazzled at this response...in Texas!

OMO

ret
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

someone ties you up and leaves the room then tries to come back in the room saying they are gonna kill you, sound justified to me.

I doubt we've got all the facts, yet, as this is still "breaking news." You know how that goes.

Something doesn't add up in the news account: BG ties them up, they get free, then the BG is later breaking into the room they're in? Hm. Why would the BG have to break into the room, if he'd already got them into the house and tied them up? Unless, perhaps, after freeing themselves (from a closet?) the mother/son locked the BR door in case he came back? Hm.

Seems to me, it's this simple:
    • Mother/son taken at knife point, kidnapped, tied up. Hence they now know the BG's ability and apparent (manifest) intent.
    • They break free and acquire the house firearm.
    • They are the only two GG's in the house, and they know it.
    • They apparently lock the door to the room in anticipation on the BG coming to finish his work.
    • BG begins breaking in through the door. They know it's the BG, likely because they verbally challenged him and he acknowledged verbally and by his action of attempting to break down the door.
    • GG's shoot the known BG through the door. Interior door, remember. This is not some exterior door and the BG's trying to escape. The BG is actively attempting to break down an interior door behind which they've been imprisoned by the same BG.
    • Keep in mind (a) typical contact distances with a blade; (b) typical room sizes; (c) typical flimsy construction of interior residential doors. Think what that means for how quickly they could die at the point of a knife, if the BG were to actually get through that door.
    • BG found outside the door dead via gunshot. Proven as the BG, and not another family member.

To me, since they apparently knew they were the only two GG's in the home, they'd already experienced kidnapping, being tied up and threatened at knife point, they likely positively identified that it was the BG who was breaking down the door (despite lack of visuals), the instant the BG was within killing distance the BG forfeited all right to life at their expense. (A)bility, (O)pportunity, (J)eopardy.

IMO, shooting through an interior door being actively kicked in should be seen by any lucid, thinking human as a minor, irrelevant point. Nobody but a BG would be breaking down that specific door immediately following them having been kidnapped and imprisoned. It's a known BG with manifest intentions. Stop him. Surive. Sleep well, or as well as you can.

One BG down. One family alive because of the son's actions. I hope he gets through this okay. 14yrs old is a bad, bad time to go through something like this. (Any age is, obviously.) If the facts play out as they've been reported, may the District Attorney and Grand Jury fry if they cannot see this for what it is: a simple case of self-defense and justifiable homicide.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    IIRC _all_ such cases go to the grand jury in Texas, DA has no choice it's just their system. Kid won't be actually charged with anything unless GJ indicts. Grand jury will no-bill it if they feel it was self defense and that will be that.

It's actually a better syetem for CCWers than having the DA decide whether to prosecute on his own... a liberal DA can make someone who legitimately fired in self-defense jump thru alot of hoops and even spend time in jail before finally being aquitted. In Texas the DA has to convice a bunch of Texans that the BG didn't need killin'.
    That's a good point. I guess the idea of the case being sent to a GJ implies that the DA is trying to push it, but I guess that's not neccessarily the case.

You Guys are gonna love this Story update. Seems like the Perp was a piece of work.

The Ex-Wife wants to put a "spin" on fault/liability and expresses specific reasons for her ex-husbands motives.

Here's the Link to the update......

http://kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5522414

It's always someone elses fault that the BG's did something illegal. Unlike the story of the Fish shooting where he said what happened and it was his fault not the BG's. This guy went looking for trouble where a good CCW er is hoping trouble never finds him but is prepared if it does.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

"...According to police, the incident was not the first for Slaughter, who did the same thing to another family in 1983 - a crime for which he was sentenced to 45 years in prison in 1984.

Slaughter also had criminal record that dated back to 1967. He was first sent to prison in 1967, and he's been in out ever since for robberies and purse snatching. Slaughter's received his 45-year sentence for breaking into a home, tying up a family and threatening to kill them.

However, he was paroled after 27 years, and for the last few years his whereabouts were unknown, until he was shot to death by a his teenage hostage on Monday. According to Slaughter's ex-wife, since he was released from prison six years ago, he had been a law abiding citizen."

Did anyone else catch this? He was sentenced to 45 years in '84, and released in 2000... Unless math has changed, 1984 from 2000 does NOT add up to 27. According to my elementary school math, this would be 16 years, not 27 years. In my way of thinking, THIS is a big part of the problem. Like many have said before, we don't need more GUN control, we need more CRIMINAL control. 16 years of a 45 year sentence is pathetic!

(Also, I am going to email the "reporter" and ask her if math has changed. )

Charlie
    Last edited by Only Glock; October 10th, 2006 at 11:59 PM.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links