"Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

This is a discussion on "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Jeanlouise And a few other places come to mind...Mexico, El Salvador, any country in Africa, Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Afghanistan, Columbia, Great Britain ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    And a few other places come to mind...Mexico, El Salvador, any country in Africa, Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Afghanistan, Columbia, Great Britain and a few hundred others.

However, due to illegal immigration and drug dealing citizens, America has become a dangerous place.
    I just said america 'cause that's where I live. Id want a gun anywhere. As for the immigration and drugs thing....Im not going there.

2. Remove Ads

Wife's sister asked pretty much the same thing a litte while ago.

I said "Google Petit family murder".
    Jeanlouise, ep1953 and gasmitty like this.

Anywhere. I live in America because I can be armed.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The only place I really didn't feel like I need a gun was in Seattle. Didn't need a knife either, its really.......hippie. Still had a cane and steel toe. Nice in an annoying way.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

Earth
    Only place @ home I am not armed is while in shower

A work friend of my wife is the neighbor of a poor family that was assaulted and the father was killed.

The home was in a nice neighborhood... but their common sense was lacking.

They advertised a diamond ring on craigslist and invited the assailants to their home.

Sad story here: Craigslist Diamond Ring Ad Leads to Father's Murder in Home Invasion, Say Wash. State Cops - Crimesider - CBS News

That is one tough way to learn what seems like such a common sense lesson.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

That incident in the original post could never happen in my neighborhood.

Wait.

That is my neighborhood. Guess that's justification enough.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Yep, that is true. To those who can't understand, I tell - "I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." And I don't want to have to try to make sure I can go get it if something goes down. There may not be time.
    This is the exact reason why I carry at home. Hell, that is the reason I carry in general. Most bad guys will not wait while you run to your safe to grab a gun!

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    The reality is there just isn't any safe neighbourhood anywhere. Some more likely to be unsafe than others, but the potential for crime to occur in places where one woud not think it could happen is always there.

I live in what is considered a safe neighbourhood, however just two blocks to the west is a street riddled with rental places owned by some slum lord. The crime and drugs there are rampant. I have even had two sets of drug thugs in the garage apartment across the alley from me. I used to take a pistol with me when taking out the trash to the can or just coming and going from my garage just because I had to look at the place and knowing how paranoid those types are.

So, yes, I keep a firearm close by just in case the "anytime, anywhere" happens. It could be happening now.
    I too live in a "safe" suburb, but I won't take any chances. The minimal time it would take to grab your gun and holster and put it on could end up saving you one day.

I don't worry about home invasion at night while I'm home. Our petty little criminal POS's are nowhere near that bold. They'll kick in the back door while you're at work.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    3rd planet from the Sun, aka, Earth!

This is not something new: Florida investigators eye notorious 'In Cold Blood' killers in 1959 murders | Fox News

This one was 1959! You may know it by the book named "In Cold Blood!"

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Anyone who assumes that only bad neighborhoods suffer home invasions does not realize that criminals want nice things, like the stuff you have in your home. They are not interested in stealing from disadvantaged people.

I carry EVERYWHERE I am allowed to do so. I ALWAYS have a firearm on me unless I am in the shower or asleep. Then there is a firearm readily accessible to me. You never know when the waste-product will impact the air-moving-device.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I live in a world where sometimes bad things can happen to good people. If the good people have the means to defend themselves (as almost all good people do, depending on where you live), why wouldn't they take advantage of it? A study of the minds of these people who refuse such available means of self defense would very likely turn up some very interesting results.

VIP Member
    Down the road from where an 18 year old murdered a couple he selected at random.
    Down the road from where a gang of 4 did an armed robbery of an apartment.
    Down the road from where a convenience store clerk was shot dead.
    Down the road from where a woman was strangled dead in her home.
    Down the road from where a woman was kidnapped
    Down the road from where a man was kidnapped.

And all in what otherwise is a very nice neighborhood.
    Bark'n likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Crime doesn't discriminate nor does addiction.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

yep , the answer is an easy one..... no matter where I live, I'll be armed.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links