"Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

This is a discussion on "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ANGLICO The problem right now is the Press and certain politicians want to make me illegal, and why? Of course, it's because ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    The problem right now is the Press and certain politicians want to make me illegal, and why?
    Of course, it's because it represents power and control over someone, and power/control is what it's all about. Doing something, whether that something is detrimental to "taboo" groups or not. One of the many reasons the job of "politician" is thought of so "highly."

I'm with you, though: You gotta wonder about someone's motives and ability to think rationally who believes making others more vulnerable to violent crime has any value except to criminals.
    ANGLICO likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The peep hole was "blocked," hm? Happen often? Never, unless someone has deliberately blocked/covered it? That should be the first clue that something's not quite right, or even threatening ... or even deadly wrong.

Tip: If you can't see out because of something like this, and yet you don't know who it is, don't blindly open the door.
    In defense of the victim, she's a 67 year old woman who lives in an area that most people remember first hand the time you could leave your doors unlocked and friends and family would knock as they walked in. They also remember the times where the elders got a little extra respect.

I know we now live in different times but not all the population has become truly situationally aware yet.

Sadly the most valuable thing taken was not the few electronic devices and odds and ends, the woman's feeling of having a safe place to live out her life was taken and that's the one thing that can not be returned.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I live in a very nice, upper middle class, quiet neighborhood with very friendly neighbors. I also live in an area that has three major gangs in surrounding areas. Bloods, Cryps, and Folks. All three constantly at war, even down here in quiet, fairly rural SC. Some of my friends and I work for an armed security and exec protection company that has frequent encounters and dealings with these gangs, and as such, we always live under the awareness that we could be followed to our homes. We take measures to avoid this, but even so, being armed at home is never, ever a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by boatload View Post
    It has less to do with where one lives and more to do with one's level of paranoia. Whether we like it or not gun fanatics simply tend to have more of it.
    Do you have to "like" something in order to "unlike" it?
    mprp likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

"Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

I don't consider myself paranoid at all, even if my husband my now considers me a "gun nut" I live in a rural part of FL, something I didn't even realize still existed until I moved here. As I mentioned in another post, you can't see the street from my house or my house from the street, thanks to some oak trees that cross my unpaved driveway about halfway up. I always felt super safe here, out in the middle of nowhere on 5 acres - 20 min from town, in the boondocks. Neighbors don't have a good view of me nor I of them... I love where I live.
    My little piece of the world:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354735332.309773.jpg

Who's going to bother me here? Didn't even OWN a gun 2 years ago...much less carry at home! One day last year I went to take the garbage out the side door and it was bent, didn't close properly. The window was partially out... It took a minute for my brain to catch up...I called my husband who uses that door when he comes/goes to work..."what happened to the side door?!" He responded "what are you talking about, it was fine when left..." What happened to the side door is someone tried to break in, realized someone was home and took off... I feel so fortunate they were only looking for a simple burglary, not a home invasion. I was sickened with the thought that I had kids here, what could I have done if they came in? How would I have protected them or myself? I don't walk around in constant freak out mode. I don't draw at every little sound. I now have a big dog in the house and a camera facing the driveway and side of the house.

I may live here another 20 years and never have an incident again... But then again I don't have a crystal ball and bad things happen anywhere. If it does ever happen that someone comes in, I'll be better prepared...I bought a gun after that incident...learned how to shoot it...shoot it pretty well these days if I do say so myself...got my concealed license...carry at home...read and think about the "what ifs" on DC... Paranoid? I'd like to think not. Prepared? Yes.
    ep1953 and ksholder like this.

We live in a very nice golf course neighborhood. Unfortunately, we also live in a small town. As with many small towns, nice areas and bad areas are very close to each other. The bad areas are just a few hundred yards away.

Quote Originally Posted by boatload View Post
    It has less to do with where one lives and more to do with one's level of paranoia. Whether we like it or not gun fanatics simply tend to have more of it.
    Your screen name says it all.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; December 28th, 2012 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    We live in a very nice golf course neighborhood. Unfortunately, we also live in a small town. As with many small towns, nice areas and bad areas are very close to each other. The bad areas are just a few hundred yards away.
    Golf course neighborhood....That sounds terrible.

We just had a man hunt here this morning....Swat, dogs, helicopters....and the BG was apprehended finally at 9:40AM after a few miles through the woods at Trump International Golf Course here in Bedminster, NJ......you can bet I'm armed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    Golf course neighborhood....That sounds terrible.
    My wife's idea. Although we do walk our dogs on the course every evening.
    Edward7 likes this.

I wish no one any ill will, but boatload is one of those that criminals have a hay day with his family. Glad I'm not related.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you choose not to be armed at home, more power to you.
    In my home, there is a firearm on my person or within reach...always!
    The definitive answer!

No need to say more.
    ANGLICO likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    steffin I am fine with some one coming to this country to get a job as long as they do it the right way and use there own ID. I was in law enforcement lived in Az for over 15yrs, I was going to post more but I think I said enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    As I mentioned in another post, you can't see the street from my house or my house from the street, thanks to some oak trees that cross my unpaved driveway about halfway up. Neighbors don't have a good view of me nor I of them... I love where I live.

Who's going to bother me here?
    Well, as you found out, distance can be a double-edged blade: if you can't see your neighbors, then they likely can't see someone approaching you either. For the right sort of criminal, it can seem the perfect spot for misdeeds.

Not paranoid ... prepared, as you say. That's a good way to think of it all. It needn't cause any fear, being prepared, though it should certainly drive a degree of circumspection and critical thought to basic realities. Glad to hear it was a hit-and-miss in your case.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Well, as you found out, distance can be a double-edged blade: if you can't see your neighbors, then they likely can't see someone approaching you either. For the right sort of criminal, it can seem the perfect spot for misdeeds.

Not paranoid ... prepared, as you say. That's a good way to think of it all. It needn't cause any fear, being prepared, though it should certainly drive a degree of circumspection and critical thought to basic realities. Glad to hear it was a hit-and-miss in your case.
    Cheap (not cheaply built but inexpesive) technology, combined with some comman person G-2, is your friend.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links