"Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?" - Page 5

"Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

This is a discussion on "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm Well, as you found out, distance can be a double-edged blade: if you can't see your neighbors, then they likely can't ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Well, as you found out, distance can be a double-edged blade: if you can't see your neighbors, then they likely can't see someone approaching you either. For the right sort of criminal, it can seem the perfect spot for misdeeds.
    I was complaining to my cop friend about "REALLY?! Out here?!" And she said the exact same thing - "Lish, it's perfect - if someone gets in, they have all the time in the world. No one will see a car out of place, no one will hear any screams, you can't be seen from the road. It's perfect" I hadn't viewed it from that perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I was complaining to my cop friend about "REALLY?! Out here?!" And she said the exact same thing - "Lish, it's perfect - if someone gets in, they have all the time in the world. No one will see a car out of place, no one will hear any screams, you can't be seen from the road. It's perfect" I hadn't viewed it from that perspective...
    You want to really blow your mind, then? Role play, sort of, with you approaching your own home by evaluating what you'd need to know in order to succeed with entry into your home as a would-be burglar or home invader. Find the threats (dogs, people, alarms), easy entry points, etc.

Start at the initial turn-off to your lane, then walk down your lane toward the house while you survey the landscape, catching the sight lines, looking to see who's going to witness your approach. Evaluate various paths to approach unseen, both from neighbors and the home itself.

Look to see if the windows can be breached easily or with difficulty, whether there are security lights/cameras around, whether there's a tool shed (with likely ladder, break-in tools available), whether there's a dog or two, or evidence of a dog inside the home. See if you can determine whether there's evidence of an alarm (ie, peeking inside windows looking for a motion sensor).

It can be humbling, if you treat it as though you're seriously a burglar (from an evaluation standpoint, I mean, of course) ... or, even that you're seriously locked-out and have to determine another way to get in without sparking your dog to attack, tripping the alarm, breaking anything, etc.

As with people watching, house "watching" can yield some surprising answers. Even more, if you scout the house with someone who's adept at seeing such things (ie, a competent local cop or deputy you know).
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 6th, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    To answer your question........anywhere between the Atlantic and the Pacific (oceans that is). Thee are no immune house break-in communities that I am aware of. Gated or with security forces.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

J_B

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    In reality......
    Foxy likes this.

We live in a nice suburb in the Denver area.

Our free weekly community newspaper has a humorous "Police Blotter" section. The paper also recounts various other crimes that happen on a regular basis.

I choose to read these to my wife. We are both quite aware that the next news item could be in our neighborhood or in our home. Believing otherwise is simply delusional.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Remember Lish, anytime, anyplace. And especially out in the middle of nowhere! The bad guys like that for it likely means no police for a good while, and not much in the way of witnesses, either. However it COULD mean armed insiders, and I bet that's why the burglars bolted when they realized someone was home: didn't want to take the chance. Glad you all were fortunate, and that you're armed now.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I live in IL -- I can ONLY be legally armed at home.

That said, I live in a quiet little suburb of Chicago with a crime rate substantially lower than the national average. That said, just within the last few years -- two blocks from my home, a (19-21yo if I recall) was murdered in his own home by gang-bangers. 100 yards from my home is an apartment complex that went "Section 8" and there are few weekends where you don't see lights & sirens going through for something... 300 yards from my home, less than 50 yards from a junior high school, three KIDS (12M, 14F, 16M) were shot by gang-bangers during a drive-by. Gang scrawl comes up frequently (and is usually obliterated quickly so that the general public, IMO, doesn't even understand how big the problem is getting). Caught a kid walking up my driveway towards my car just last year (there was a rash of petty thefts from mostly unlocked vehicles) until he saw me standing at the door having a smoke. Called the 5-0 just a few months ago after hearing 4 shots (and yes, I know the difference between gunshots and firecrackers) late on a Sunday evening.

And that's just the stuff I remember off the top of my head. In this quiet little suburb with a substantially low crime rate.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

Re: "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

Ah yes, that's the quietude I miss from my home town... And its 'burbs...

Where a "good neighborhood" is measured in feet and yards away from violence...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar

Where exactly do you live that you don't need to be armed on your personal property for the safety of yourself and your family?
    MASSIVE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

Where exactly do you live that you don't need to be armed on your personal property for the safety of yourself and your family?
    Well, if I was living on a military base I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable without guns in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post

I lived in rural area for more than 12 years. The house was over 100 yards off the road. It was a great place. But make no mistake about it... Someone could take a chainsaw and cut their own door in the side of your house, and I guarantee the neighbors would likely never notice, call the police, or pay any attention to the sound of a chainsaw running. And if it's late at night, they are all snug in their homes and definitely not paying attention.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I live in a nice neighborhood by the beach in Southern California. There was a murder 4 doors away. We have burglaries regularly. There is a park a block away where gang members scrawl graffiti on the benches.... Oh, and we regularly go to the offshore islands where drug smugglers just rammed a Coast Guard vessel and "accidentally killed a Coast Guard officer.

Crack me up. I'm guessing most of you play the lottery too. You know, that special tax the state assess against people who don't understand the laws of probability...

Re: "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

Quote Originally Posted by boatload View Post
    Crack me up. I'm guessing most of you play the lottery too. You know, that special tax the state assess against people who don't understand the laws of probability...
    So, do you have a fire extinguisher in your house... Or do you play the odds there, too?
    GlassWolf likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Gravel road 20 minutes or more from Sheriff's support.
    Don't lock the door when I'm gone so the door won't be kicked in, always locked when I'm here.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links