"Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?" - Page 6

"Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

This is a discussion on "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by boatload Crack me up. I'm guessing most of you play the lottery too. You know, that special tax the state assess against ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

Quote Originally Posted by boatload View Post
    Crack me up. I'm guessing most of you play the lottery too. You know, that special tax the state assess against people who don't understand the laws of probability...
    Straw-man arguments typically don't hold up under any scrutiny.

Straw-man argument, def: Attacking an exaggerated or caricatured version of the opposing position. Or, an argument that misrepresents a position in order to make it appear weaker than it actually is, refutes this misrepresentation of the position, and then concludes that the real position has been refuted.

Why carry defensive weaponry or even come to a related discussion forum such as DC, if it's unlikely to ever happen to us? Why have home insurance, if fire/flood/whatever is so unlikely? Why have a spare tire in the car, either, or spare shoelaces, or wear a lifejacket in rough seas ...

Probability's one aspect, of course. Another is how dire the results, if it does occur. Not everyone chooses to let it happen, or suffer the "defenseless / do-nothing" results of the impacts if it does. To each his own.

Myself, I've never had a meteor land anywhere near me, so far as I know. Dire results, sure, but in my experience (a) highly unlikely and (b) not much I can do about it anyway. But then, I have experienced two attempted carjackings, had my house door kicked in before, been assaulted on the street a couple of times, and once been forced to draw in response to a two-person attack on me in a parking lot one night. And those have occurred across several places where I've lived, over the course of three decades. So, just in terms of "probability" (which I apparently misunderstand) ...

It is indeed about risk, what one can do to lessen the risk, and the degree of impact if it does occur while lacking the ability to do anything about it. Thanks for the reminder. Well worth keeping in mind.

YMMV, as with anything else.
    mprp likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I was complaining to my cop friend about "REALLY?! Out here?!" And she said the exact same thing - "Lish, it's perfect - if someone gets in, they have all the time in the world. No one will see a car out of place, no one will hear any screams, you can't be seen from the road. It's perfect" I hadn't viewed it from that perspective...
    Ditto. Never had any serious problems in my house in a neighborhood with people around.
    My parent's house in the sticks, dead end road, up a hill 400ft through the woods to their house.....has been broken into oh, I lost count, 1) when my grandparents lived there someone broke in a downstairs window and ransacked the place while they were gone to church, but they didn't loose much stuff coz they came home (upstairs) and accidentally interrupted/scared the bad guys away. They installed an alarm after that.
    2) my dad came home from work to the door kicked in once, but I guess the alarm scared them away nothing inside was disturbed. We have a super-sturdy door, but of course the frame gave-way. The other doors have a metal frame and I think dad upgraded that door too.
    3) someon attempted to break in when dad was out of town, but again, the alarm seemed to scared them off.
    4) Someone broke in through a window at 10am while my 16yo sister was home alone sleeping in - appeared to be unintentional on the home invasion because he fled when he realized she was there. Alarm was off because she was home. I bought her a driveway alarm for early detection - the wireless alarm is in her room for when she's sleeping late.
    5) Little sis watches an unknown truck pull up, and stick around, calls 911 - and watches him from the house window while he cuts the lock off the barn/garage and starts loading up his truck. Since the driveway is one way in/out, when the cops arrived, the BG fled on foot. We got our stuff back from his truck and the police inpounded it. Score one for us, zero for the bad guys.

Maybe word got out on the street, nobody has tried again since then (knock on wood) but my other sister and her husband also moved in to the downstairs part of the house so someone is home more often, and they got a dog too.

The benefit of living in the sticks, people don't accidentally end up at your house. If you don't know them it's a safe bet that they're up to NO good.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    The benefit of living in the sticks, people don't accidentally end up at your house. If you don't know them it's a safe bet that they're up to NO good.
    Wise counsel, that.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Straw-man arguments typically don't hold up under any scrutiny.

Straw-man argument, def: Attacking an exaggerated or caricatured version of the opposing position. Or, an argument that misrepresents a position in order to make it appear weaker than it actually is, refutes this misrepresentation of the position, and then concludes that the real position has been refuted.

Why carry defensive weaponry or even come to a related discussion forum such as DC, if it's unlikely to ever happen to us? Why have home insurance, if fire/flood/whatever is so unlikely? Why have a spare tire in the car, either, or spare shoelaces, or wear a lifejacket in rough seas ...

Probability's one aspect, of course. Another is how dire the results, if it does occur. Not everyone chooses to let it happen, or suffer the "defenseless / do-nothing" results of the impacts if it does. To each his own.

Myself, I've never had a meteor land anywhere near me, so far as I know. Dire results, sure, but in my experience (a) highly unlikely and (b) not much I can do about it anyway. But then, I have experienced two attempted carjackings, had my house door kicked in before, been assaulted on the street a couple of times, and once been forced to draw in response to a two-person attack on me in a parking lot one night. And those have occurred across several places where I've lived, over the course of three decades. So, just in terms of "probability" (which I apparently misunderstand) ...

It is indeed about risk, what one can do to lessen the risk, and the degree of impact if it does occur while lacking the ability to do anything about it. Thanks for the reminder. Well worth keeping in mind.

YMMV, as with anything else.
    Don't bother replying to boatload. He has 4 or 5 posts since June and all are dissmissive and rude of DC members and gun owners. I know we are not suppose to use the "T" word but......
    MASSIVE likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

OD*
    You're correct this time, Suntzu.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Crack me up. I'm guessing most of you play the lottery too. You know, that special tax the state assess against people who don't understand the laws of probability...
    I have a PhD. in mathematics, and know the laws of probability very well.

Gunners like us don't look at surviving by probability, we survive by being prepared when everything else has failed us.
    MASSIVE and Bubbiesdad like this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Gun shelf in the bathroom that provides easy access in the shower.

Gun fits nicely on the spice shelf in the kitchen when I cook and clean.

Shoulder holster when I don't want to wear pants!
    sioux565 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Across the street from a police station. Hasn't slowed things a bit. I still carry at home.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

StarPD45
    BGs go to the good areas because thats where the loot is.

Victims of Crime - When And Where Does Violent Crime Happen? - Percent, Occur, Home, and Age

Pay particular attention to the statement directly below "Victim's Activities".

dan

Re: "Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home?"

Case and point: I live in a great neighborhood, semi-wooded, lots of wildlife...nearly always quiet...until last night. Two shots were fired less than 200 yards from my house, approx 5 min apart. Unknown source. But, I'll tell you, the first thing my wife asked me was, "where's your gun?". I holstered and did a quick run through the house to check on the kids.

Point is, it doesn't matter where you live...you just never know. It's been uttered a million times: better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. And I'll add: and if your going to have it, you'd better damn well know how to use it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

In the real world.
    OD* likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

It has less to do with where one lives and more to do with one's level of paranoia. Whether we like it or not gun fanatics simply tend to have more of it.

Your name matches, well the second half anyway. Your post is a "load" of something.
    Also, Little Bo Peep is desperately looking for you.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    One problem in small towns,such as mine,would be meth. These user's have no logic or reason,they want their drugs and will do anything to get it. So far we have no home invasions, but we have plenty of the meth-heads bumming around parking lots. So homes may be next.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Where do you live that you think you need to be armed at home? Earth. It can and does happen anywhere.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links