Good or Bad? - 3D Printing a Gun

This is a discussion on Good or Bad? - 3D Printing a Gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Still in its infancy, but able to print a key firearm part that lasts 6 rounds... 3-D Printed Gun Only Lasts 6 Shots | Danger ...

Still in its infancy, but able to print a key firearm part that lasts 6 rounds...

3-D Printed Gun Only Lasts 6 Shots | Danger Room | Wired.com

Some bad guys may be happy with a weapon that only lasts 10-20 shots... as that's all they'll need it for...
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Still in its infancy, but able to print a key firearm part that lasts 6 rounds...

3-D Printed Gun Only Lasts 6 Shots | Danger Room | Wired.com

Some bad guys may be happy with a weapon that only lasts 10-20 shots... as that's all they'll need it for...
    Thanks for sharing!

I think its a great program, why not research some of the newest technologies to make firearms?

I think bad guys want the same thing in a gun that good guys want, If the program gets to the point where printed lowers (and eventually guns as the program aspires) offer real advantages to shooters, I think both good and bad guys will be interested. I do think that is a long way off. Printed lowers are pretty feasible (we already have polymer AR lowers, so its not unreasonable that it could work), but even if they can address the strength issues there is the bigger problem of printed parts being very expensive on professional 3d printers, and I'm not sure if Open Source 3d printing solutions could provide the strength required. The technology is going to have to come a long way before anyone would consider it above a standard aluminum (or even polymer) lower.

I suppose one bad thing would be if the government were to use it as a basis for requiring serial numbers on other parts of the AR-15 design, which would really hurt your ability to customize one.

-Clay

GIGO
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I think it is good. Now all I need is a spare $400,000 or so to buy a CNC machine.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Links