Bob Costas tonight on O'Rielly.......Yikes

This is a discussion on Bob Costas tonight on O'Rielly.......Yikes within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Costas mentality is that, generally speaking, that when people walk around packing guns that more bad than good will result. The gun culture he speaks ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Bob Costas tonight on O'Rielly.......Yikes

Costas mentality is that, generally speaking, that when people walk around packing guns that more bad than good will result. The gun culture he speaks of,I believe, is more directed at thug mentality. People who want to act like 'gangstas'. That a gun is the method of choice used to resolve arguments and disagreements in this subculture.

He offered no ideas of how exactly to curb this mentality or what new gun regulation would be enacted to prevent crime without taking away second amendment rights.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

Why would Bob Costas say such a thing?

Oh, right! I remember. He's an arrogant, out-of-touch, sanctimonious Northeastern yuppy sportscaster.
    Sig 210 likes this.

Why would Bob Costas say such a thing?

Oh, right! I remember. He's an arrogant, out-of-touch, sanctimonious Northeastern yuppy sportscaster.
    Methinks you have nailed it.

OK, I just sat and watched the interview on youtube. Costas's main contention is that when people have guns, far more bad things result than good things. I call B.S. on that one. I certainly would agree that when bad people have guns, bad things happen, and I certainly concede that even in the hands of some "good" people, some bad things can happen, in the form of accidents, etc. But even with the huge increase of firearms ownership of recent years, violent crime rates have gone down, not up.

But as I stated in my first post in this thread, my biggest beef with Costas is with the forum he took advantage of (a public broadcast of a sports event) and the way he chose to express his views.

Sorry Bob, You lost a fan.

Just watched the video on YouTube and it was what I expected. Though if I'm not mistaken but I thought it was proven the Aurora, CO shooter was not wearing body armor.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Re: Bob Costas tonight on O'Rielly.......Yikes

Somebody should snoop the loop to find out if Mr. Costas has a carry permit.

Or whether he owns any guns.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Somebody should snoop the loop to find out if Mr. Costas has a carry permit.

Or whether he owns any guns.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    I agree the problem is not availability of guns, the problem is the mentality of people. Mr Costas is concerned with the gun mentality within pro sports maybe he should address the many but not all people living the punk gang banger lifestyle instead of the guns that people own.

Clearly, their was respect there between Bob and Bill. By Bill's standards, Bob was handled with "kid gloves".

From my understanding the Aurora shooter wearing body armor was a myth, spun by the media. He was wearing a tactical vest. The guy immediately gave up to police once return force was perceived. Results may have gone way different if a patron of the theater was armed and prepared to confront him. Bill should have been on top of this in his argument.

IMO, most law abiding gun owners are those stepping up to defend themselves & there own, where the government is not, cannot, or should not. Bob is one who finds comfort under the blanket of those with more courage and concern, including law enforcement officers.

There is no metric capable of producing results for the discrete, law-abiding gun owner who has protected themselves with a firearm, that has not been discharged. IMHO, most of these encounters are undocumented, yet I am confident that they occur.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    Bob was handled with "kid gloves".
    Agreed. It was a good opportunity for a good, old fashioned "grilling."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ers View Post
    Just watched the video on YouTube and it was what I expected. Though if I'm not mistaken but I thought it was proven the Aurora, CO shooter was not wearing body armor.
    You are correct. That was not the only factual error Costas had about the movie shooter. Costas said he had "artillery" and that his gun was capable of shooting "hundreds of rounds". Given that even a single shot is capable of shooting hundreds of rounds if reloaded enough, I think it is fair to assume that Costas was saying, erroneously, that the movie another's gun could shoot hundreds of rounds without reloading.

Costas also said we can buy full-auto machine guns and military style artillery at our LGS - anybody, any day.

Then yesterday, the day after the Costas interview, Mr. Bill talks about the "gun show loophole" as if it actually exists.

If you really want to make a difference in Costas' life, watch a few games he is on with a pen and notebook. Write down all advertisers then write to them about why you will not purchase their product/service because they appeared on a game Costas was on.

If you want to multiply your efforts, post the list of advertisers here and exhort the base to contact them in the same manner.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member
    I heard on a talk show yesterday that Costas interviewed Charles Barkley. And Barkley disagreed with him. Barkley said he carried a gun with him everywhere in his car. Made him feel safer, he stated that athelete's get robbed all the time. He touched on some other good points from what I heard. I haven't took the time to find it and watch it, but from what I heard I really liked Barkey's comments.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links