Oops... more incidents these days of folks "forgetting" they have guns with them...

This is a discussion on Oops... more incidents these days of folks "forgetting" they have guns with them... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Out of a couple million folks carrying, having a few hundred a year legitimately forget they've got it in a bag or on them is ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Oops... more incidents these days of folks "forgetting" they have guns with them...

Out of a couple million folks carrying, having a few hundred a year legitimately forget they've got it in a bag or on them is likely to occur. They're not all deliberately criminal, of course. Though, I'm betting that more than a few of them will begin to appreciate the the gap in the level of responsibility the people in their states are demanding of them as compared to what they're willing to give. That's a good thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

I think this may be more common than known and not just high profile "Chik-fil-A" people either. Getting caught up in the business of air travel these days is no wonder we can "forget" things.

We had a former County Commissioner where I live attempt to board a plane in Florida with a legal handgun in his carry on bag. Of course his excuse was "I forgot I had it" because he was called back to WV for a family emergency and was rushing to get home.

Any one of us could be equally guilty of doing this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    How many times on this site alone have you read: "...so comfortable I forgot I was carrying"?
    I don't want to ever get so comfortable that I "forget" I am carrying.

I was thinking the same comfortable thing. Guess I haven't been carrying long enough to practically forget its there. Hope I never do. Mistakes happen, but it does us no favors and we are unfortunately held to a higher standard as we have to combat so many...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

My wife tells me I'm forgetful..... of course I never remember why she'd say such a thing.

In well over 25 years of (on again/off again) carrying a side arm, I've had a few good holsters that made carrying a gun very comfortable.... but I've NEVER forgotten I had it, where it was, and/or what condition it was in.

"I forgot I had it" ain't an excuse. Life's hard enough, it's harder when your stupid.
    ANGLICO likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    2 reasons
    1. 1 guy? I could buy that it was an honest mistake, a group of people who know each other? Not so much.
    2. I hate them (chick-fil-a.) and want nothing but the worst for them.
    Mostly the first one.
    I feel just the opposite. I like Chick-Fil-A and wish them the best. For 2 reasons:
    1. They are Christian
    2. They are non-union
    OD*, BurgerBoy and ppkheat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    I feel just the opposite. I like Chick-Fil-A and wish them the best. For 2 reasons:
    1. They are Christian You eat christian chickens?
    2. They are non-union
    Obviously I disagree. Also all that chicken and other ingredients? We ship those in, our trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    How many times on this site alone have you read: "...so comfortable I forgot I was carrying"?
    Um, yep, just posted something similar in another thread.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    .....I could buy that it was an honest mistake, a group of people who know each other?.......
    There is nothing in the article that says they knew each other. They were reporting on three incidents of carrying a handgun through a checkpoint.

I carry on my person,I know when I have a gun on me because I holster it every morning and take it off every night,when you put an Item in a bag and leave it in there,you tend to forget it's in there unless you have a habit of removing it everyday.
    I don't know of too many people that don't have to pack at least a carry on to fly and I would know I have a gun on me if it's in a holster on my body.As long as Women Purse Carry and People just stick a gun in a backpack or other type of bag they will forget they have it when they are thinking of 100 other things they need to do before they get on a plane.
    I wonder how many people drive into Canada with a gun in a bag every year before they realize they are now in or were in Canada with a handgun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You can bet that publicity from the slimestream media will be rampant, if for no other reason that this story involves: 1. Guns, and 2. Chick-Fil-A.

God, I love 'em both.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

What gets me is the joker from Illinois; a state senator?!? For ILLINOIS?!? One - if not THE only one - of the most restrictive states for gun owners. I'm interested to see what punishment is dealt for his "oops." Average Joe gets a felony conviction, IIRC. Former senator... hmmm... I'm betting not. Thoughts?
    Last edited by STALKER37_19D; December 6th, 2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Error in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by STALKER37_19D View Post
    What gets me is the joker from Illinois; a state senator?!? For ILLINOIS?!? One - if not THE only one - of the most restrictive states for gun owners. I'm interested to see what punishment is dealt for his "oops." Average Joe gets a felony conviction, IIRC. Former senator... hmmm... I'm betting not. Thoughts?
    My wife is a former citizen of the Peoples Republic of Illinois. We are planning a trip to the Land of Lincoln at the end of the year. Illinois and guns mix about as well as oil on water. Well, just the folks running things from Chi-Town any way. Nearly all the state ouside of that cesspool are gun friendly but have multiple restrictions placed on them. I hope this "Senator" gets his butt handed to him and sees a little jail time for his "indescretion" and then get thrown out of office. He's a bad apple.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Obviously I disagree. Also all that chicken and other ingredients? We ship those in, our trucks.
    Who cares? Either you like the food or you don't. I've never heard of anyone going there to solve a personal moral dilemma. I don't go there because the food was delivered by union truckers, or non-union truckers. It's about the danged sandwiches! The owner and company can have whatever personal views they wish as long as I get my chicken and get out the door quickly. Jeez.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm eating Chic-fil-a tonight

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links