Bad - Misleading headline... Domestic dispute, not TSA related

This is a discussion on Bad - Misleading headline... Domestic dispute, not TSA related within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; MAN FATALLY SHOOTS TSA OFFICER IN OHIO BEFORE TURNING WEAPON ON HIMSELF Man Fatally Shoots TSA Officer in Ohio Before Turning Weapon on Himself | ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RAL

Thread: Bad - Misleading headline... Domestic dispute, not TSA related

Bad - Misleading headline... Domestic dispute, not TSA related

MAN FATALLY SHOOTS TSA OFFICER IN OHIO BEFORE TURNING WEAPON ON HIMSELF

Man Fatally Shoots TSA Officer in Ohio Before Turning Weapon on Himself | TheBlaze.com
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

2. Remove Ads

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    ........but investigators weren’t sure of a motive for the shooting. However, it seems highly likely the attack was personal.

Yeah, I agree. Totally misleading headline.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Would it have been less misleading if they had said store owner or hot dog vendor? Are you mislead because they didn't say: "Man shoots wife"?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Would it have been less misleading if they had said store owner or hot dog vendor? Are you mislead because they didn't say: "Man shoots wife"?
    Exactly. If a hot dog vendor had shot his wife who was a grocery store clerk outside the store she works at, do you think the headline would have read "MAN FATALLY SHOOTS GROCERY CLERK IN OHIO BEFORE TURNING WEAPON ON HIMSELF"

No, it would have said "ESTRANGED HUSBAND SHOOTS WIFE BEFORE TURNING WEAPON ON HIMSELF"

But the mention of a TSA agent is flashier and when I saw it I automatically thought the TSA agent was shot in the process of doing their job.

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

RAL
    The entire article is written to sensationalize. It says the shooter "failed to hit the second TSA employee." That assumes the shooter was aiming at the other employee too. Misleading headline and misleading article. It was a domestic murder/suicide. Her job should not have had any part in the article. Media will do anything to sensationalize a headline.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

And this morning is a perfect example... no mention of the career choice of the shooter or the victim... Because it doesn't matter. Unless it makes for a snazzy headline.

Gunman shoots woman, kills himself outside Florida church - U.S. News

Enraged Man with possible Nazi Tattoos we've never seen, riding a shetland pony wearing an elf costume and singing Joy to the world ties up rush hour traffic.
    Now that's a catchy Headline
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    The "misleading" headline could be a ploy so that some government official could try to arm TSA and call them something else with more federal powers.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The article says they were shot at the airport, so the victims were probably in TSA uniforms. I wouldn't find this anymore misleading than a report of a guy in LEO uniform being reported as a policeman being shot. Why would shooting two people in TSA uniforms, on the way to work, not be reported that way?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links