Teenager Shoots Woman Over a Cigarette - Page 4

Teenager Shoots Woman Over a Cigarette

This is a discussion on Teenager Shoots Woman Over a Cigarette within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ksholder So, I assume that you are A OK with him living in your neighborhood - on your street? Originally Posted by ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Teenager Shoots Woman Over a Cigarette

RAL
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    So, I assume that you are A OK with him living in your neighborhood - on your street?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Not particularly. That doesn't necessarily mean if he was paroled someday he should be denied an opportunity to live in a place he can afford.
    I assume Cold Shot lives in a more affluent neighborhood where the 'now juveniles' would never be able to afford to live. He is OK to let them out of prison to live next to me (or somebody else he doesn’t know), but not to live next to him. Judges (many of whom live in gated/guarded communities), and others, with the sentiments of Cold Shot, should have to have these people live next to them or in their homes with them for the first 5 years after they are released. That 'let them out' attitude would change I suspect.

I understand that young minds are still developing, but sometimes the direction of that development is so far from what is safe for the rest of society, that a more adult like punishment is necessary.
    ksholder and TheConcealer like this.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAL View Post

I assume Cold Shot lives in a more affluent neighborhood where the 'now juveniles' would never be able to afford to live. He is OK to let them out of prison to live next to me (or somebody else he doesn’t know), but not to live next to him. Judges (many of whom live in gated/guarded communities), and others, with the sentiments of Cold Shot, should have to have these people live next to them or in their homes with them for the first 5 years after they are released. That 'let them out' attitude would change I suspect.

I understand that young minds are still developing, but sometimes the direction of that development is so far from what is safe for the rest of society, that a more adult like punishment is necessary.

That 'let them out' attitude would be reduced if the lawyers and judges that got them 'let out' were held responsible for the next crime committed by the 'little angels'. (yeah, I'm donning my firesuit).
    Jeanlouise, RAL and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Sad, young victims life cut short needlessly because she didn't weigh her options.
    1. De-escalate, neutralize, distance
    2. Escalate, incite, close proximity

However, the larger problem is how our culture has evolved to produce more and more younger predators that have no regard for others, nor even an awareness of consequences for themselves.

I've read the occasional article about the fabled child that was raised by wolves or dogs? I'm afraid we're essentially there now in some cases.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Our society is degenerating so quickly it's scary. When we were young a kid got into trouble by using the car without permission or skipping last period of school and going to get a hamburger. Now kids get into trouble by killing.

The Juvenile laws need to be revisited because juvenile crime is now what was once considered adult crime.

I can guarantee, without a doubt, that none of these kids comes from a home with a mother and a father. In fact, I'll bet any amount of money that their Mothers have other children by multiple fathers.

These boys hunted this couple down and cold blood murdered the woman. Let's not try to pretty it up because they are juveniles.
    RAL, JoJoGunn and Rock and Glock like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

This is the kind of idiotic nonsense that gripes me..

The attorney of one of the teens said he was just “in the wrong place at the wrong time.” That teen was identified as the gunman by police and Peterson’s boyfriend.

Cops: Teens ask for smoke, then kill woman when she replies, 'Get a job' - U.S. News

Yeah, he was just "in the wrong place at the wrong time" with a gun. Go figure.
    Rock and Glock and Hopyard like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Our society is degenerating so quickly it's scary. When we were young a kid got into trouble by using the car without permission or skipping last period of school and going to get a hamburger. Now kids get into trouble by killing.
    Essentially the reason and motivation of why CCW is embraced by many today.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    This is the kind of idiotic nonsense that gripes me..

The attorney of one of the teens said he was just “in the wrong place at the wrong time.” That teen was identified as the gunman by police and Peterson’s boyfriend.

Cops: Teens ask for smoke, then kill woman when she replies, 'Get a job' - U.S. News

Yeah, he was just "in the wrong place at the wrong time" with a gun. Go figure.
    They need to publish the lawyer's name under the title "facilitator of murder". Of course he will be paid with "public money"... "Public" = yous and mine.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    They need to publish the lawyer's name under the title "facilitator of murder". Of course he will be paid with "public money"... "Public" = yous and mine.
    Well, I wouldn't go as far as to call him a "facilitator of murder". Even scum have the right to an attorney. But I could do without the stupid comments to the press that his client "was just in the wrong place at the wrong time." If that's the best defense he can offer for his client's actions, the prosecution has a slam dunk on this one. And you're right that the kid probably has a public defender, so the taxpayers will be footing the bill.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Teenager Shoots Woman Over a Cigarette

I can't believe ANYone would take sides with these kids. That, in my opinion, is what is wrong with this country.

I've been researching crimes in my little quiet area of the country and discovered something. "Kids" that illegally carry firearms or commit crimes with them, and are eventually released, often commit more serious crimes as they get older. One of them here shot two cops, killing one of them almost a year ago here. It's a friggin pattern.

I ask you bleeding hearts, what is a reasonable punishment for these kids? 5 years of "rehabilitation" on my dime? 10 years in the system that is riddled with as much crime and worse influences than the thugs they run with on the streets? Ok, maybe 20 years?

Everybody wants to blame someone else for what happens. Screw that.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Very unfortunate.

Let's see... Can't afford a $5.00 pack of smokes but can afford a gun and ammunition?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Re: Teenager Shoots Woman Over a Cigarette

Quote Originally Posted by RAL View Post
    On another thread someone did not think anyone had been killed over a candy bar, and though I don't have any statistics, I bet it has happened. I don't smoke and have never purchased a cigarette, so I have no idea what one costs, but the price of one cigarette is, in this instance, the worth of a human life. Sad!
    That was me and I said a Google search would probably turn up a few instances.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Very unfortunate.

Let's see... Can't afford a $5.00 pack of smokes but can afford a gun and ammunition?
    Probably stole the gun and ammunition.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Some posters believe it was the woman's fault because of her comment and the armed teenage hoodlums would not have reacted the way they did if she would have said something like I don't smoke. BS. I'll bet their RAP sheet would tell a different story. Tell that to the dead store clerks across the US that handed over the cash drawer and was shot after doing so.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Here is the problem I see with your logic. Currently the law is more lenient toward those under 18. Teens know this and are schooled by gangs that they cannot/will not be punished significantly for performing even the most heinous acts. Therefore, we have taught those under 18 that they can act however they want to act and there are no, or limited consequences.

Now, if we were to change that paradigm, we might find that the actions of teens would change. There will still be some, as in the adult population, who will choose a life of crime, but many may eschew the criminal life if there are actually consequences that they would prefer not to pay. I know, it is kind of a chicken and egg thing, but I am all for changing the expectations for punishment of teens where the fact pattern exhibits either gross disregard for the law or an apparent willingness to exploit the lesser penalties emposed on minors. This would not escalate the penalties for minors who do something stupid with bad result, but would escalate the penalty, in cases where there is clearly scienter or gross disregard for the law, to the penalty that adults would pay.

In the case under discussion in this thread, it appears that the teens either were grossly disregarding the law or had, with forethought, set out to shoot someone. In either case, I think the adult penalties should apply. If the law abiding citizens of this country do not take it back from the criminal element, it will continue to become more and more dangerous. In my opinion, enough is enough. YMMV.
    The fact that these kids are being manipulated by adult gangsters is one of the very reasons I wouldn't agree with the death penalty. I don't know what you mean by "no or limited consequences." When somebody says treat him like an adult, I am taking that as he will be tried and convicted of murder 1 and spend his life in prison without parole, or be executed, and as a 13 year, will do his time with the adults where he will be exposed to mental, physical, and sexual abuse due to his youth . There should OBVIOUSLY be severe consequences, but I'm thinking less than that.

The teens were obviously grossly disregarding the law. One of them murdered somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    The fact that these kids are being manipulated by adult gangsters is one of the very reasons I wouldn't agree with the death penalty. I don't know what you mean by "no or limited consequences." When somebody says treat him like an adult, I am taking that as he will be tried and convicted of murder 1 and spend his life in prison without parole, or be executed, and as a 13 year, will do his time with the adults where he will be exposed to mental, physical, and sexual abuse due to his youth . There should OBVIOUSLY be severe consequences, but I'm thinking less than that.

The teens were obviously grossly disregarding the law. One of them murdered somebody.
    No one is saying to lock the kid up with adults in a prison. They can transport him to the adult prison when he is old enough.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links