Teenager Shoots Woman Over a Cigarette

This is a discussion on Teenager Shoots Woman Over a Cigarette within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by RAL I assume Cold Shot lives in a more affluent neighborhood where the 'now juveniles' would never be able to afford to ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Teenager Shoots Woman Over a Cigarette

Quote Originally Posted by RAL View Post

I assume Cold Shot lives in a more affluent neighborhood where the 'now juveniles' would never be able to afford to live. He is OK to let them out of prison to live next to me (or somebody else he doesn’t know), but not to live next to him. Judges (many of whom live in gated/guarded communities), and others, with the sentiments of Cold Shot, should have to have these people live next to them or in their homes with them for the first 5 years after they are released. That 'let them out' attitude would change I suspect.

I understand that young minds are still developing, but sometimes the direction of that development is so far from what is safe for the rest of society, that a more adult like punishment is necessary.
    Yeah, I worded it like that to get a response. I grew up with across the street from a teacher with a wife and kid who was later convicted of molesting boys. The world is scary.

I am a believer of second chances. I'm not a bleeding heart. I'm really not. But I think the kid should possibly be put up for parole someday, and if he gets out, I'll live with that. I live on gulf coast of the Florida panhandle. There's some money floating around, but no matter where you are, if you walk a mile in any direction it won't be affluent.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    There actions took the life of another human and should be punished accordingly. My thought is that they were mature enough to obtain a handgun, bum smokes on the streets and kill a person, they are mature enough to stand trial as an adult.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

The problem I see here that while it may have been in poor taste to inform the lad to "get a job" there is no law prohibiting this person from speaking freely. Yet, the youth of today has a major chip upon their shoulders and they can't get past themselves.

They get offended that someone had the audacity to "diss" them, because of who they are. How dare this lady do that? She needs to be killed.

We have lost our youth to this mentality and it will get worse. What's next? I look at a punk the wrong way and he percieves that as a slight and wants to kill me over it?

We need a total revamp of our Juvenile law and stop coddling them and treat ones who do this like the "adults" they believe themselves to be. The death penalty won't stop this or how these thugs think, but the world will be rid of one who will NEVER change or be rehabilitated.
    pittypat21 and Hoopinator like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The problem lies with the parents, or in most of these cases, the lack of one. My parents taught me there were consequences to everything. I had the option of making those consequences favorable or unfavorable. It didn't take long to figure out unfavorable wasn't much fun.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Yeah, I worded it like that to get a response. That worked perfectly. I grew up with across the street from a teacher with a wife and kid who was later convicted of molesting boys. The whole FAMILY was molesting boys or just the teacher? How does this tie-in? The world is scary. Yeah, Old News.

I am a believer of second chances. What about the VICTIM? Does she get another chance, this time, to what, give away cigarettes & keep her mouth shut? Do her kids get another Mom? I'm not a bleeding heart. I'm really not. But I think the kid should possibly be put up for parole someday, and if he gets out, I'll live with that. So, it's Capital Punishment or life sentences that bother you? I live on gulf coast of the Florida panhandle. You said the world was scary, so what difference does your location make? There's some money floating around, but no matter where you are, if you walk a mile in any direction it won't be affluent. So less-than-affiuent NEIGHBORHOODS are the problem?
    I'm trying to understand what you're advocating as society's most effective response to this vicious, violent murder committed by teenagers. Help me understand. Do the conditions of their neighborhood justify this act? Did society grow these miscreants by not providing their families "a place to live that they could afford"? Societal responsibility starts with INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY, it then grows through the family, leaks over to friends, then into the neighborhood, out to the community, becomes the culture of the town, then the (earned) reputation of the state, then the pride of the nation & then becomes the beacon to the world. It DOESN'T drain from the other direction.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    No one is saying to lock the kid up with adults in a prison. They can transport him to the adult prison when he is old enough.
    Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing the kid locked up with adults in prison. You do something like this, both your parents get locked up with you.

That's how I feel. It's just a knee jerk reaction. In reality, many times one or both of the parents are already in jail. The kid's being "raised" by another relative who is content to claim them as a dependent and let them run the streets.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Manipulated? When I was thirteen, and it wasn't that long ago, if someone told me to kill someone or commit any other kind of absolutely heinous crime I would know that doing so would be very, very wrong. It's not like thirteen year olds are in some kind of dream-state with no concept of right or wrong.

I don't care who you are, at thirteen, you know murder is not acceptable. This kid chose to kill, let him face the full consequences. Like my mom used to say to me, "Act like an adult, get treated like one."
    Hoopinator and Jeanlouise like this.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    Manipulated? When I was thirteen, and it wasn't that long ago, if someone told me to kill someone or commit any other kind of absolutely heinous crime I would know that doing so would be very, very wrong. It's not like thirteen year olds are in some kind of dream-state with no concept of right or wrong.

I don't care who you are, at thirteen, you know murder is not acceptable. This kid chose to kill, let him face the full consequences. Like my mom used to say to me, "Act like an adult, get treated like one."
    What if your mom was in prison for any of a number of drug related offenses? What if your "dad" disappeared about three seconds after your little egg was fertilized? Suppose you're handed off to one relative after another who uses you as a dependent (because you get more stamps that way) and then passes you off when they get tired of fooling with you. Who teaches you all that right and wrong stuff then?

In no way am I defending these punks or their actions. But until we change the system that keeps churning them out, things aren't going to change.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

FYI, I was raised by my mother alone. I understand that this is the problem with our society today. Not everyone is as lucky as I am to have a mother who puts my sister and I before everything else. However, the fact that kids these days are not a part of traditional families or have parents in prison, etc, is NOT an excuse for this kind of behavior, and it certainly does not make it any more excusable OR understandable.

Whether you are raised by the Reagan's, or handed off from one relative to another as a dependent as you stated, society still does a good enough job teaching people murder is WRONG. These teens made a conscious decision to shoot that woman in cold blood. They knew the consequences, they knew it was wrong, but they did it anyway.
    Jeanlouise and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Play bad games, win bad prizes.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Teenager Shoots Woman Over a Cigarette

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    What if your mom was in prison for any of a number of drug related offenses? What if your "dad" disappeared about three seconds after your little egg was fertilized? Suppose you're handed off to one relative after another who uses you as a dependent (because you get more stamps that way) and then passes you off when they get tired of fooling with you. Who teaches you all that right and wrong stuff then?

In no way am I defending these punks or their actions. But until we change the system that keeps churning them out, things aren't going to change.
    changing that "system" has and will prove to be as difficult as peace in the Middle East. That's just the way it is.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Would any of you been able to draw and fire your weapon at/on a 'kid' that pulls a gun on you or your loved one? I live in a pretty bad neighborhood...I ask myself that question occasionally. We recently had a little teenage thug-rat run over a guy for 'dissing' him near my location...

Just food for thought.

VIP Member
    I don't know what you mean by "no or limited consequences."
    I don't understand why they should be treated like adults in this particular instance...when they are not adults.
    I was responding to your post. You opined that the killer should not be tried or punished as an adult. My point was that in the juvenile justice system, there is a limited punishment for even significant crimes. Until this changes, little maggots will continue to do as they like because there is no real punishment.
    RAL and msgt/ret like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I think dis(respect)ing an individual is perfectly acceptable. It means, at least in your eyes, they HAVEN'T EARNED IT! And to give unearned respect, because of fear of the repercussions if you don't, is providing the thug-bullies EXACTLY what they want, unearned respect governed by fear. Respect is earned, not threatened. Sent your thugs somewhere that those tactics don't work & see who the tough men are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopinator View Post
    Would any of you been able to draw and fire your weapon at/on a 'kid' that pulls a gun on you or your loved one? I live in a pretty bad neighborhood...I ask myself that question occasionally. We recently had a little teenage thug-rat run over a guy for 'dissing' him near my location...

Just food for thought.
    yes I would. The gun doesn't know the age of the one holding it.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links