BAD: Oregon Mall Shooting - Page 3

BAD: Oregon Mall Shooting

This is a discussion on BAD: Oregon Mall Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The only thing that's going to have a chance of quickly stopping this sort of thing is when a large percentage of citizens opt to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: BAD: Oregon Mall Shooting

The only thing that's going to have a chance of quickly stopping this sort of thing is when a large percentage of citizens opt to carry always. When are people going to learn ...

Condolences to the injured, harmed. Hopefully the kids who were there will not be badly (psychologically) impacted.

It'll be interesting to see whether they find out any details about this shooter's motivations, or ties to the people who were actually harmed. In the Portland area, gang activity is everywhere. Could easily have been a hit ... or just some numnuts off his meds. Early days, yet.
    mg27 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

BAD: Oregon Mall Shooting

This is just another example of why I always carry.

:
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ers View Post
    Made sure to call of my family within the area once I heard about this. Thankfully everyone is safe and accounted for. My prayers and condolences to those who were injured and the families of those who have lost a loved one. I don't frequent that particular mall often since my home is on the complete opposite side of town but I have been there a handful of times with the GF.
    I lived in Milwaukie for 26 years about 2 miles from the mall and that was our favorite place to shop. I hope none of my friends were there. My family have all moved from there.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Ever notice how often criminal shooters stop when their "gun jams?" My guns never jam. I smell BS.
    mg27 likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Ever notice how often criminal shooters stop when their "gun jams?" My guns never jam. I smell BS.
    You also probably buy high quality mags. We all know that cheap mags are a leading cause of FTFs.

Clackamas mall shooter identified , was wearing a Load Vest not a ballistic vest, used a stolen AR-15 .

LINK
    goldshellback likes this.

Distinguished Member
    The number of comments on the various stories at the Oregonian (Portland's newspaper) is high and the number of idiots blaming the tool again is staggering and they will not listen to reason (like I really thought they would - right). Some fool is using stats from Wikipedia (and we know how infallable that is) to try to bolster their claim that 50,000 gun deaths occurred last year. Ridiculous.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by finst3r View Post
    Clackamas mall shooter identified , was wearing a Load Vest not a ballistic vest, used a stolen AR-15 .

LINK
    No, say it ain't so... he was wearing full body armor and had 3 AK47s on his person, and was singing the lyrics to Iron Butterfly's I am the god of hellfire a capella, of course.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    The number of comments on the various stories at the Oregonian (Portland's newspaper) is high and the number of idiots blaming the tool again is staggering and they will not listen to reason (like I really thought they would - right). Some fool is using stats from Wikipedia (and we know how infallable that is) to try to bolster their claim that 50,000 gun deaths occurred last year. Ridiculous.
    This incident probably won't be the straw that broke the camel's back (for one thing, not enough people were killed). But, I can see some really draconian gun laws coming down the pike. It wouldn't surprise me to see a ban on high capacity magazines (probably anything over eight rounds or so. A ban on any type of AK or AR platform. More federal intervention in the issuing of carry permits. More federal restrictions on ammunition sales (no online purchases and limits on quantities purchased within a certain time frame).
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    This incident probably won't be the straw that broke the camel's back (for one thing, not enough people were killed). But, I can see some really draconian gun laws coming down the pike. It wouldn't surprise me to see a ban on high capacity magazines (probably anything over eight rounds or so. A ban on any type of AK or AR platform. More federal intervention in the issuing of carry permits. More federal restrictions on ammunition sales (no online purchases and limits on quantities purchased within a certain time frame).
    Yep, and the result will be - no effect on crime or these mass killings/attempts. But the anti gun folk just can't see that bans don't work. The 18th Amendment is a prime example but they do not associate that with what they are trying to do. Pure emotion is ruling them and no logic or reality.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Yep, and the result will be - no effect on crime or these mass killings/attempts. But the anti gun folk just can't see that bans don't work. The 18th Amendment is a prime example but they do not associate that with what they are trying to do. Pure emotion is ruling them and no logic or reality.
    I agree with you, but I'm also cynical enough to believe that the government will skew the figures so that it looks like the new laws are working. Even better if they can get the mainstream media to report just the stuff that they want reported.

Nah, they would never do something like that.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

"It appears that the suspect's rifle did jam while he was attacking suspects in the food court," Roberts said.

Investigators believe Jacob Roberts then walked east, past the Macy’s Home Store and down a service stairwell to the mall’s ground floor. He walked towards a JC Penny, where he was found dead by officers a little after 3:50 p.m.
    How the [four letter word] did he die? That is all I want to know.

Edit: I know there were initial reports that it was a self-inflicted gunshot wound, but no official statement has backed this up. If his gun was jammed, did he clear it and then use it on himself or was he shot by somebody else?

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    How the [four letter word] did he die? That is all I want to know.

Supposedly, he died from a self inflicted gun shot wound. How many times have we heard that?

Suspect identified

Turns out the weapon was stolen

Oregon shopping mall gunman identified; motive unclear - U.S. News

"UPDATED at 1:12 p.m. ET: The masked gunman who killed two people and wounded a third in a shooting at an Oregon mall packed with holiday shoppers before committing suicide was identified Wednesday as Jacob Tyler Roberts, 22.

The suspect, wearing a hockey-style mask, opened fire with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle that he had stolen from a person he knew, Clackamas County Sheriff Craig Roberts said at a morning news conference."
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Supposedly, he died from a self inflicted gun shot wound. How many times have we heard that?
    Yeah, I was hoping that would be mentioned in the the official report. I took to long to edit my original post.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links