BAD: Oregon Mall Shooting

This is a discussion on BAD: Oregon Mall Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Gene83 I agree with you, but I'm also cynical enough to believe that the government will skew the figures so that it ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: BAD: Oregon Mall Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I agree with you, but I'm also cynical enough to believe that the government will skew the figures so that it looks like the new laws are working. Even better if they can get the mainstream media to report just the stuff that they want reported.

Nah, they would never do something like that.
    Kind of like how the unemployment numbers were supposedly manipulated before the election...they would never do something as dishonest as that...
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Kind of like how the unemployment numbers were supposedly manipulated before the election...they would never do something as dishonest as that...
    I must have missed the part where the job numbers were good...

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    So his "body armor" that was reported was really just a LBV (never seen that before!) and his stolen (illegally possesed) "HIGH POWER assault rifle" jammed.

Sounds like the media was jumping on the bandwagon again before all the details came out. I'm surprised there hasn't been any conjecture on his political leanings yet. But then, I guess his ethnicity doesn't match what they want you to hear, so they aren't talking about it... interesting.
    Walk softly ...

This incident probably won't be the straw that broke the camel's back (for one thing, not enough people were killed). But, I can see some really draconian gun laws coming down the pike. It wouldn't surprise me to see a ban on high capacity magazines (probably anything over eight rounds or so. A ban on any type of AK or AR platform. More federal intervention in the issuing of carry permits. More federal restrictions on ammunition sales (no online purchases and limits on quantities purchased within a certain time frame).
    State Senator "Dingbat" Ginny Burdick has already sent out an email to whip up support for her high cap mag ban. She's using the "60 rounds" fired that one witness who had a TV mike stuffed in her face spouted in the email despite the fact that no official has said how many rounds were actually fired. 60 rounds and only 3 people hit in a mall crowded with "10,000 people"? Hmm...

Prayers sent very sad

Distinguished Member
    Witnesses who say 60 rounds likely have no clue as the terror of the moment probably skewed their thinking. But maybe someone actually started counting from the time of the first shot. Not something I'd be doing in that moment, but hey - maybe they are like the Count from Sesame Street - 1 shot, 2 shots, 3 shots, 4 shots...
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billb1960 View Post
    State Senator "Dingbat" Ginny Burdick has already sent out an email to whip up support for her high cap mag ban. She's using the "60 rounds" fired that one witness who had a TV mike stuffed in her face spouted in the email despite the fact that no official has said how many rounds were actually fired. 60 rounds and only 3 people hit in a mall crowded with "10,000 people"? Hmm...
    I'm going to see if I can get an email response about this one...

My Message:

Ma'am,
    According to the article at the link below, you recently solicited support for your high capacity magazine ban. The statement started with "According to news reports..." but you didn't cite any report. What credible sources do you have to support your statement and proposed legislation? I would hope that as an elected official you are capable of making sound decisions based on evidence rather than emotions.
    Thank You,
    Me
    http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i..._shooting.html
    Last edited by steffen; December 12th, 2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: add link
    goldshellback likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Billb1960 View Post
    That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. You may call her a dingbat but folks listen to her and Bob Costas also. Right now, the majority of voters are pro 2nd amendment, but that can change quickly as the demographics change.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    No, say it ain't so... he was wearing full body armor and had 3 AK47s on his person, and was singing the lyrics to Iron Butterfly's I am the god of hellfire a capella, of course.
    Really? I had heard that he was listening to rap and playing video games during the shooting...

Either way, Burdick uses every session to try to ran through anti- bills, and this nutjob just gave her more ammunition.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Sounds like the media was jumping on the bandwagon again before all the details came out.
    Can't let little details like accurate information get in the way of getting a story out.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Can't let little details like accurate information get in the way of getting a story out.
    I shouldn't be surprised, but I find it funny how 24/7 news results in lower quality coverage that 1 hour a day news.
    accessbob likes this.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Yep, and the result will be - no effect on crime or these mass killings/attempts. But the anti gun folk just can't see that bans don't work. The 18th Amendment is a prime example but they do not associate that with what they are trying to do. Pure emotion is ruling them and no logic or reality.
    Actually if you had read everything I have on this subject (a massive amount), you would know that the typical anti-gunner does not give a rat's behind for their bans to be "effective". What they care about is having their views "ratified" by the state; that is, the state making guns illegal makes the anti-gunners feel good and justified. The fact that it does not disarm crooks is FAR down their list of "problems".
    accessbob likes this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Actually if you had read everything I have on this subject (a massive amount), you would know that the typical anti-gunner does not give a rat's behind for their bans to be "effective". What they care about is having their views "ratified" by the state; that is, the state making guns illegal makes the anti-gunners feel good and justified. The fact that it does not disarm crooks is FAR down their list of "problems".
    Yup, no argument there.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. You may call her a dingbat but folks listen to her and Bob Costas also. Right now, the majority of voters are pro 2nd amendment, but that can change quickly as the demographics change.
    Why do you believe people of different racial makeups are anti gun? I am hispanic and a very pro second amendment supporter along with many others in my neck of the woods.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    Why do you believe people of different racial makeups are anti gun? I am hispanic and a very pro second amendment supporter along with many others in my neck of the woods.
    Demographics doesn't refer exclusively to race.

It can also mean region, socioeconomic status, age, gender, etc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links