Ding-dong, Avon calling....

This is a discussion on Ding-dong, Avon calling.... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...or not If you don't see anyone... don't open the door... And if you do open it anyway... have a gun in your hand... or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ding-dong, Avon calling....

...or not

If you don't see anyone... don't open the door... And if you do open it anyway... have a gun in your hand... or at least your hand on the grip..

C'mon it ain't rocket chemistry, folks...

Story here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I hate seeing this. People are way too trusting anymore to realize this is the easiest method for a thug to attack someone, rob them and perhaps kill them.

I trust nobody at my front door (extremely limited access to the back door) and usually with a gun nearby if I even want to answer it. I know this is going to be a preferred method for someone I don't know to gain entry.

Unless more of these people get shot when attempting to push their way in, then it will continue.
    lchamp likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    ...or not

If you don't see anyone... don't open the door... And if you do open it anyway... have a gun in your hand... or at least your hand on the grip..

C'mon it ain't rocket chemistry, folks...

Story here
    Absolutely correct. (He would probably have been wearing a red shirt when the LEO arrived at my house).

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I hate seeing this. People are way too trusting anymore to realize this is the easiest method for a thug to attack someone, rob them and perhaps kill them.

I trust nobody at my front door (extremely limited access to the back door) and usually with a gun nearby if I even want to answer it. I know this is going to be a preferred method for someone I don't know to gain entry.

Unless more of these people get shot when attempting to push their way in, then it will continue.
    We should make a law against opening your front door in questionable situations to prevent crime like this.
    ep1953 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    We should make a law against opening your front door in questionable situations to prevent crime like this.
    Ya know, really, that's not a bad idea... We often say, regarding weapons laws, that only the law abiding have to jump through the hoops necessary to purchase a firearm or carry it... Only the law abiding, good citizens of this country, would abide by the "never open your door law."

Unfortunately, it would not stymie many earnest BGs...

That's it! Create laws that will actually HELP the sheep survive! Funny thing is, they'll complain that those laws restrict their rights to be free spirits, oblivious to the evil in the world. But, it won't stop them from attacking our freedoms.

Sigh... thought I was onto something there, for a nanosecond.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Ya know, really, that's not a bad idea... We often say, regarding weapons laws, that only the law abiding have to jump through the hoops necessary to purchase a firearm or carry it... Only the law abiding, good citizens of this country, would abide by the "never open your door law."

Unfortunately, it would not stymie many earnest BGs...

That's it! Create laws that will actually HELP the sheep survive! Funny thing is, they'll complain that those laws restrict their rights to be free spirits, oblivious to the evil in the world. But, it won't stop them from attacking our freedoms.

Sigh... thought I was onto something there, for a nanosecond.
    You are onto something... Laws prevent crime.

"Ding dong" being the operative words. While some neighborhoods might well be still reasonable enough to open your door at night without knowing who it is, in Tampa (and most places) I can't imagine why anyone would do this these days.

The "rocket science" isn't too difficult, though apparently not common knowledge:

Lights, confirm identity visually and/or vocally before opening door; having a locked steel "screen" outer door; having heavy-duty door framing and door; going to the door armed in case of danger; NOT opening door if identify cannot be determined. If opting to blindly open door, have second person covering the antics with shotgun nearby. If opting to blindly open door without any precautions whatsoever ... then, fully expect the sort of result this person experienced.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The "rocket science" isn't too difficult, though apparently not common knowledge:
    For me, it's "rocket chemistry..." I work in a laboratory, with chemicals.

As to the rest of it... We have seat belt laws to protect people from their own stupidity... why not protect them with common sense laws that teach/force them to be safe, since they obviously won't take it upon themselves to take responsibility for their own victimization?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    I work in healthcare... we prefer "Rocket Surgery"
    ep1953 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    I work in healthcare... we prefer "Rocket Surgery"
    That's the ticket!

The roto rooter guy? Rocket sewage, no doubt!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

As to the rest of it... We have seat belt laws to protect people from their own stupidity... why not protect them with common sense laws that teach/force them to be safe, since they obviously won't take it upon themselves to take responsibility for their own victimization?
    I work in payroll, so I guess I could say... Rocket Typing?

I disagree about the common sense laws. There is no reason to use the force of law to try and increase safety and for the most part it doesn't really work. The wonderful concept that our contry was founded on was the freedom to make your own choices about anything and everything as long as you don't impede on others' right to do the same. If I don't want to wear my seat belt, that is nobody else's business. The only up side I see from seat belt laws is that they will generate revenue via fines, so in theory I should have to pay less in taxes.

I believe that if you stand for "common sense" safety laws, then you by default stand for "reasonable restrictions" gun control laws. The comparison might seem like apples to oranges, but they are based on the same concept of limiting personal freedom that doesn't affect anybody else. Give the government an inch, they will take a foot.

The State pays me to stay home now...Rocket Retirement?

If you can't see/know who's at the door at 9 PM, why would you open it?
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    I work in payroll, so I guess I could say... Rocket Typing? Give the government an inch, they will take a foot.
    Give the Government a foot and they will want your whole body.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I love my front door because it has a window that I can easily see them and they can see me. If someone needs help with a car/gas etc, I can just tell them to go up two blocks to a full service gas/repair station.

My mom on the other hand needs to learn the lesson. She opened up her door to an absolute nut talking about conspiracy theories involving the local police. She was lucky that the person was only crazy, not violent.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'm retired, so it's rocket snoozing for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links