Video of Officer Shooting a Suspect - Warning Graphic

This is a discussion on Video of Officer Shooting a Suspect - Warning Graphic within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty I saw the Perp when he was confronted by LEO turn and reach into the vehicle,The Officer was justified to believe ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Video of Officer Shooting a Suspect - Warning Graphic

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I saw the Perp when he was confronted by LEO turn and reach into the vehicle,The Officer was justified to believe he was trying to go for a gun,Any Normal person when confronted by an LEO with a drawn firearm yelling get your hands up...WOULD RAISE THEIR HANDS not reach into a vehicle
    Like I was saying...
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    What part of "HANDS UP" did ne not understand? It looked to me like he was going for something on the passenger seat.
    Yep. Another drag on society gone...yawn. On to page two.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

The video was removed from the article. :(

Re: Video of Officer Shooting a Suspect - Warning Graphic

13 shots off in 4.2 seconds and he only missed twice. Even though they were in close proximity, that is still damn good shooting.

Is it just me or did it appear that the officer struggled to draw his firearm on the first attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by CJohn364 View Post
    The video was removed from the article. :(
    You can still find it on youtube if you search "Deunez Shooting". There's one that's something like 20 minutes long. I haven't watched the whole thing to see if there's commentary or anything, but it seems less compressed than others. Another video seems to have cut stuff out.

When I watch, I hear the officer scream "Hands up now! Drop the knife now!" so either he was planning to shoot the guy from the start and covering for himself or actually thought he saw a knife.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

As the guy climbs out of the truck and attempts to pull his leg free, his right hand is on the roof of the truck, with what appears to be a knife in it. Guy returns to the scene of a domestic violence incident with a knife in his hand, unless he was eating a steak dinner in that truck, looks awfully nefarious to me. Add to that his haste to get out of the truck while the cop is screaming not to, and I think any reasonable person would conclude that this individual earned bullets, vice any other level of force.

As far as the officer's tactic of closing the distance instead of taking cover, the officer was responsible for NOT allowing the guy back into the house, where he could have killed the wife or someone else. That's why he was waiting there in the first place.

All that said, I think the last round he fired was an ND.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    i watched over and over. never saw a knife in the top hand.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Maybe I am way off base here, but shouldn't our police be held to a HIGHER standard of care than average citizens when it comes to the application of deadly force in a confrontation? They supposedly have much better training in how to deal with these things.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    Maybe I am way off base here, but shouldn't our police be held to a HIGHER standard of care than average citizens when it comes to the application of deadly force in a confrontation? They supposedly have much better training in how to deal with these things.
    They are. But there is no magic is these situations. Cops are cops, not the Easter bunny, Santa Claus, or kind hearted social workers or community organizers bringing a plate of cookies.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What happened to the video? Who removed it? Why? Im always late... Lol. I wont be commenting on this one, this would of been interesting. Im outie.

"Video has been remover by the user"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    "Video has been remover by the user"
    Deadguy's link is still working fine.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombthrower77 View Post
    Re-watching the video several times, it seems clear the LEO was experiencing the full effects of an adrenaline dump when it came down: tunnel vision (he was certain he saw a knife), time distortion (less than a second from his warning to opening shot); sensory and auditory exclusion (believing he had fired six rounds). This stuff is harder than it looks.
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Re-watching the video several times, it seems clear the LEO was experiencing the full effects of an adrenaline dump when it came down: tunnel vision (he was certain he saw a knife), time distortion (less than a second from his warning to opening shot); sensory and auditory exclusion (believing he had fired six rounds). This stuff is harder than it looks.
    I am not going to debate what was in the LEO's mind. But wha concerns me about shoots is I always ask myself this:

Self: What would happen to me under the same circumstances (minus the LEO's obligation to his job)?

I reply to myself:

Self: I would be in jail. If I said I perceived a weapon and there were none then I am screwed.

EDIT: as a non LEO I would of course aviod situations, I am referring to whatever would have caused me to shoot in wha I perceived was a threat to my life.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links