Video of Officer Shooting a Suspect - Warning Graphic

This is a discussion on Video of Officer Shooting a Suspect - Warning Graphic within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is a video that was released of an officer shooting a suspect who is wanted on domestic violence charges. From the article: Attorneys released ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Video of Officer Shooting a Suspect - Warning Graphic

VIP Member

This is a video that was released of an officer shooting a suspect who is wanted on domestic violence charges.

From the article:
    Attorneys released graphic footage of a police officer shooting a man 11 times outside a suburban home ó one day after the officer was cleared of wrongdoing. The suspect died and the officer who shot him is back on active duty.
    Warning: Link to article contains a Graphic Video of man being shot

Graphic Video Shows Police Officer Fatally Shooting Man 11 Times — Was It Justified? | Video | TheBlaze.com
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

It looks really bad, but I think the officer's conduct was acceptable even though his tactics were bad. He approached the man too quickly without knowing whether or not he had a weapon, and when the weapon was presented he had no choice but to fire. Hindsight is 20-20, but he could have positioned his vehicle so that he could use the door as cover/concealment while he gave the orders to the suspect.

The "victim" would still be alive if he had followed the officer's instructions.
    Arborigine likes this.

I tend to agree that the officer didn't have much choice but to shoot him. The man was getting out of the vehicle backwards, both hands completely hidden from view and he was moving very quickly. There was little time to respond. That being said, The cop IS negligent in that he didn't handle this correctly at all. Had he not rushed the suspect he wouldn't have been so exposed. Had he made his demands from a safe distance and from the cover of his vehicle, his temper tantrum may not have been viewed as threatening. I believe that the officer just flipped the switch without thinking, instead of keeping a cool head...the most important part of using a weapon for self defense.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    - Hedimitrius

Need your knife sharpened? I offer free knife sharpening to all DC members. Just pay shipping both ways and I'll do the rest.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    What part of "HANDS UP" did ne not understand? It looked to me like he was going for something on the passenger seat.
    mano3 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    What part of "HANDS UP" did ne not understand? It looked to me like he was going for something on the passenger seat.
    I agree. Officer should get some counseling about what he could have done differently and that's about it.

Happened pretty darn fast.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

What I don't understand is it appears the man was down on the ground and the officer was still shooting him, did I miss something here...
    ccman, nerdyvirgin, jbum and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Uh, "once you pop, you can't stop"? The classic Pringles defense. Shoot until the threat stops moving
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The moving pretty fast part was controlled by the perp. The way I saw it was the officer was positioning himself for a posible foot race to the front door of the house. He the officer was there to arrest the perp and protect the complainant from further violence. This will be an awful scar on this officers soul for the rest of his life. But all brought on by the perp himself. DR

OD*
    The woman was lucky she wasn't shot, disregarding an order to stay back/stop.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Was the suspect driving or was someone else driving? If the suspect, why would he exit the passenger door?

Just because the threat in on the ground doesn't magically make it no longer a threat. Especially when the threat is still trying to sit up and or appears to be reaching for something.
    TheConcealer likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Just because the threat in on the ground doesn't magically make it no longer a threat. Especially when the threat is still trying to sit up and or appears to be reaching for something.
    Exactly.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

VIP Member
    This is a great example of exactly how quickly it all goes down. Even watching the video, confirmation bias determines what each viewer sees.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I saw the Perp when he was confronted by LEO turn and reach into the vehicle,The Officer was justified to believe he was trying to go for a gun,Any Normal person when confronted by an LEO with a drawn firearm yelling get your hands up...WOULD RAISE THEIR HANDS not reach into a vehicle
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links