VCDL pickets Auto Zone...

This is a discussion on VCDL pickets Auto Zone... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Where the clerk was fired for getting his .40 Glock, and stopping the "fake beard bandit". Story here: http://touch.dailypress.com/#section.../p2p-73683234/...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 5 Post By Ksgunner
  • 2 Post By DaveH
  • 1 Post By mkh

Thread: VCDL pickets Auto Zone...

VCDL pickets Auto Zone...

Where the clerk was fired for getting his .40 Glock, and stopping the "fake beard bandit".

Story here: http://touch.dailypress.com/#section.../p2p-73683234/
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Do any of you ever feel like we live in an "Alice In Wonderland" world now? What's up is down and what's black is white.

Now we can add: when you successfully defend your employer you get fired for your efforts.
    lchamp and RKflorida like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    They should give him several years worth of severance pay!

We used to get a lot of corprate visits in the last place I worked. We called it "Seagull management" They would fly in, flap their wings, make a lot of noise, crap all over your projects and then fly away.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    They should give him several years worth of severance pay!
    I agree! I know they have "reasons" for this policy of not fighting back but I think it just furthers the populations notion that we have to just take whatever the criminal dishes out.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member

Thumbs up VA-ALERT: AutoZone protest yesterday

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL]

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

WHAT A GREAT DAY!

Below we have the story on yesterday's protest at AutoZone in Yorktown written by Amanda Kerr with the Daily Press and also a really great video taken by the Daily Press photographer. Both spent quite a bit of time at the protest.

We had over FORTY gun owners show up to line the sidewalk in front of AutoZone (on a weekday, in the middle of the day). We held signs saying:

AutoZone Fires Heroes!

Berma shave style:

1. Save a Life?
    2. AutoZone fires you!

1. Stop a robbery?
    2. AutoZone fires you!

I could not believe all the cars and trucks honking their horns and waving enthusiastically as they passed the group! All of us were surprised and elated. People were pulling into the mall to go shake Devin's hand. A few people passing by stopped to join the protest!

The AutoZone parking lot, for the most part, looked like a ghost town. I wished I had a tumbleweed to toss in their parking lot! ;-)

For those of you who couldn't make this one, you really missed a great event - the public support for a hero was clear and strong.

The Shady Banks Shopping Center, where AutoZone is located, was extremely nice to us and gave us specific permission to park in their parking lot and to marshall there. The Mall did ask us not to protest in the parking lot and we honored that request.

The 7-11 across the street was giving our members FREE coffee! When I learned of that, I walked over to thank them for their support and generosity. They, too, were supporting a hero.

Sheriff Danny Diggs showed up and talked with us for a little while. Standard Operating Procedure: several deputies were stationed in the area during the protest. They were polite and professional and, from their point of view, bored. ;-)

ON TO THE NEXT PROtestS: SATURDAY

Tomorrow we have our protests in Colonial Heights and Hopewell - come out and join us! A reminder alert on the protests with addresses and times will go out later today.

From the Daily Press: Gun group protests firing of AutoZone employee - dailypress.com [VIDEO, too]

Gun group protests firing of AutoZone employee
    By Amanda Kerr, akerr@dailypress.com
    December 13, 2012

YORK — Nearly 40 people gathered outside an AutoZone store on Hampton Highway Thursday to protest the firing of a store employee for using his own handgun to confront a robber.

The protest was organized by the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a nonprofit pro-firearms group. Philip Van Cleave, president of the Defense League, said the group wanted to support former AutoZone employee Devin McClean, who was fired following a robbery at the store on Nov. 16. McClean's story has gained local and national attention. McClean appeared on "CBS This Morning" on Dec. 8 and a Facebook page calling for the boycott of AutoZone in support of McClean has more than 9,000 likes.

York-Poquoson Sheriff Danny Diggs has publicly stated his support of McLean's actions. Diggs said in an interview Thursday that he plans to recognize McClean later this month with a Sheriff's Citizens Commendation award. He described AutoZone's decision to fire McClean as "flawed."

"I think what he did was a very brave thing," Diggs said.

During the incident McClean ran to his vehicle to get his Glock .40-caliber handgun, then went back in building to confront the suspect, who was also armed with a gun. The suspect fled without taking any money from the store. The same suspect is believed to have robbed the same AutoZone in September.

Investigators think the suspect might be the "fake beard robber" who is believed to have committed more than 30 robberies on the Peninsula in the last year.

McClean, who served two years in the Air Force, said his "military instincts" kicked in.

"I didn't know what he was capable of but I understood what I was capable of," he said.

A few days after the robbery McClean said a district manager fired him because of the company's zero tolerance policy banning employees from having firearms while at work.

An AutoZone employee at the store on Thursday said the company's policy was to give no comment. McClean said the manager who was at the store during the robbery as well as other employees have thanked him for his actions. He started a new job at a local construction company on Monday.

During the protest the crowd applauded when McClean arrived. Throughout the morning people were thanking him and calling him a hero. Some people even gave him cash.

"It's humbling to think this many people support me," McClean said.

"He did the right thing," said Yorktown resident Andy Anderson.

Anderson said people have a constitutional right to protect themselves and said AutoZone's policy was "constitutionally wrong."

Van Cleave said McClean "should never have been fired." He hopes the Defense League can put pressure on AutoZone to change its policy regarding firearms.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League is planning two more protests on Saturday at AutoZone stores in Hopewell and Colonial Heights, where the company has its district headquarters.
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
    Jeanlouise and ANGLICO like this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

mkh
    I applaud everyone involved. Great work.
    Last edited by mkh; December 14th, 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Jeanlouise likes this.

VIP Member
    Good job! I want Mr McClean as MY co-worker.

Re: VA-ALERT: AutoZone protest yesterday

Poof! I posted this this AM... It's gone! Well, good on youse anyway!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Re: VA-ALERT: AutoZone protest yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Poof! I posted this this AM... It's gone! Well, good on youse anyway!

Ah... There it is: VCDL pickets Auto Zone...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Ah... There it is: VCDL pickets Auto Zone...
    Sorry for the dup.

Did a search & missed it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Thumbs up For the information of any Central Virginia folk

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

NOTE: If you can attend the AutoZone protests in the Colonial Heights/Hopewell area, please respond to this email to let me know how many are in your party and which protest (or both) that you will be attending.

--

AUTOZONE PROtest IN COLONIAL HEIGHTS
    (the regional manager's office is at this location)

Time/Date: 10 AM to 12 PM, Saturday, December 15th

1506 Boulevard (corner of Boulevard and Kent Ave.)
    Colonial Heights, VA 23834

This AutoZone is in a strip mall. Do not park by the AutoZone, but there is other parking nearby. We will be protesting on the pubic sidewalk in front of AutoZone along Boulevard.

--

AUTOZONE PROtest IN HOPEWELL

Time/Date: 1 PM to 3 PM, Saturday, December 15th

3513 Oaklawn Boulevard
    Hopewell, VA 23860

This AutoZone is a stand-alone building with its own parking lot. There is limited parking at a Dollar General next door. What we will do is have everyone park at the Colonial Center Shopping Center (which has tons of parking) and then fill a few cars and carpool the half-mile to the Dollar General and park there. (Or those so inclined can also just walk to the AutoZone from the Colonial Center parking lot.)

Directions to parking:

Heading towards Hopewell on Oaklawn Boulevard 3/10 of a mile north of 295, take the first right turn into the Colonial Center Shopping Center. (The address is 4100 Oaklawn Boulevard.)

There should be a Rosa's Pizza on your left and the Hopewell Visitors Center on your right.

Park in the vast area behind the Visitors Center.

The carpooling vehicles will get back on Oaklawn Boulevard and continue heading north towards Hopewell. The AutoZone and Dollar General are only 1/2 mile away.

--

PROtestING

While protesting, we need to stay off AutoZone's property. From the sidewalk to the street is safe and both locations have a sidewalk in front of the store. We do not want to block or interfere with anyone's access to the property, of course.

VCDL is having some signs made up to be carried. If you would like to bring some homemade signs, that is fine, but PLEASE clear the wording with me first so that we can have a unified message.

If you carry, and how you carry (open or concealed), is up to you.

--

WEATHER

The weather is expected to be partly cloudy, around 56 degrees with a very light wind. Be sure to dress appropriately. There are restaurants near both locations for refreshments or for a bathroom break.
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

you have to realize the store is liable for the employee's actions. they much rather boot his ass before he and the company gets sued civially because of the shooting.

it' just to cover their asses. Do you guys REALLY think they care about some dude making 8 bucks an hour?

it's all about profit, and the brand. a civil lawsuit is $$$.

this way they can say, he was fired once we found out he had a gun. I wouldn't be surprised if auto zone went and sued the employee as well to CYA!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    you have to realize the store is liable for the employee's actions. they much rather boot his ass before he and the company gets sued civially because of the shooting.

it' just to cover their asses. Do you guys REALLY think they care about some dude making 8 bucks an hour?

it's all about profit, and the brand. a civil lawsuit is $$$.

this way they can say, he was fired once we found out he had a gun. I wouldn't be surprised if auto zone went and sued the employee as well to CYA!
    All the more reason to stand up for him publicly, IMHO.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Thumbs up Second Round -- Last Saturday

Saturday there were two VCDL protests at AutoZone stores south of Richmond (news coverage below).

The first protest was at the AutoZone in Colonial Heights. We had around 40 volunteers holding signs or simply lining the sidewalk with Guns Save Lives stickers. Like Thursday, we had vehicle after vehicle honking and waving at us in support. Cars were pulling over and and their drivers asking what was happening. One driver yelled out his window as he passed, "I will not be shopping there ever again!" A state police officer passed by in his marked patrol car and gave us a thumbs up as he passed. Everybody that we told about AutoZone firing an employee who stopped an armed robbery in the store, was shocked and angered.

The local Hopewell newspaper reporter came by and spent a lot of time interviewing me and our members. Channel 6 also showed up, did an interview, and got a lot of footage. My interview was interrupted several times because I was being drowned out by honking vehicles!

We then moved to the second location in Hopewell. We had around the same number of volunteers and the horns were blaring, people stopping to ask about the protest, and some leaving the AutoZone parking lot without going into the building after talking to us. The support was really palpable. Two of our members went into a Bojangles restaurant next door to grab a sandwich. When they went to pay, they were told their sandwiches had already been paid for. Turns out that a lady standing in front of them in line heard them talking about the protest and she bought their lunches!

At one point I was walking through a Dollar General parking lot to get to my car. An older black lady was in her car and opened the door and called me over as I passed by. This, I thought, could be an interesting conversation. I said, "Yes, ma'am. What can I do for you?"

She looked at me, pointed at the Guns Save Lives sticker on my shirt and said, "Looking at that sticker on your shirt, I want to tell you that I've been thinking about the dead children in Connecticut. And I can't help but wonder, what would have happened if just one of the teachers had a gun?"

It was a fantastic day, with the volunteers happy they came.

A REFERENDUM ON GUN CONTROL?

As we set up to do the first protest, I was thinking that the protests would provide a really good measure of how people feel about gun control with the tragic events of Friday fresh on their minds. The outpouring of support for our message about self-defense and guns saving lives told me what I already felt in my heart: America is standing strong that gun control is not the answer.

Yes, the antis are busy dancing in the blood of twenty little children and we have a fight ahead. With people's lives and safety in the balance, VCDL will fight as hard as we must to prevail.

Shortly I will put out an alert about the massacre in Connecticut and the path ahead.

NOTE: With all that is going on in Connecticut and with the General Assembly around the corner, please be prepared for a much higher volume of alerts in the months ahead. Now, more than ever, we need to be a cohesive force in Virginia and Federal politics.

NEWS COVERAGE:

From Richmond, Channel 6.

From WTVR.com: VCU students remember those lost in CT shooting | WTVR.com [VIDEO]

RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – Saturday was National Bill of Rights Day, but in the wake of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut on Friday that killed 27 people including the shooter, the discussion of the second amendment, our right to bear arms, came up at two very different locations in Central Virginia.

“Even though we knew none of them personally, we all hurt with them,” Emily Helt said. Helt helped organize the VCU Candlelight Vigil.

About twenty people at the vigil lit candles in honor of those killed and placed them in the shape of the letters “CT” for Connecticut.

Following the vigil, Helt joined many around the nation who think this latest mass shooting on American soil should lead to stricter gun laws. [PVC: Those super-strict gun laws in Connecticut didn't work. Gun control is a foolish and DANGEROUS waste of time.]

“I can’t trust people I don’t know to carry a weapon,” Helt said. “I believe that it needs to be a longer, stricter process to get a gun.”

Honks of support ring out for gun rights advocates Saturday morning outside an Auto Zone store in Colonial Heights. Those honks show just how divisive this issue really is.

Those advocates were there to protest Auto Zones in the area because of Devin McClean, a York County, VA, man who more than two weeks ago pulled out his own gun after an armed robber entered the Auto Zone McClean worked at. The robber fled, and McClean was fired for his actions.

At Saturday’s protest, the topic of gun rights within the context of the Connecticut shooting was on the mind of Philip Van Cleave with the Virginia Citizen’s Defense League.

“Those weren’t his guns [the shooter]. Those were his mother’s guns. Once he murdered his mother, yeah, then he had access to the guns. He could do what he wanted,” Van Cleave said. “Criminals and crazy people like that always get access [somehow].”

Organizers of the VCU prayer vigil have plans to raise money for the victims’ family, but as of right now, no details have been finalized.

As for the gun rights supporters, Philip Van Cleave said the Sandy Hook Elementary tragedy is less about gun control and more about identifying those who suffer mental issues that would cause them to do something like this.

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
    dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
    Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL) [http://www.vcdl.org/]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links