BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown - Page 14

BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

This is a discussion on BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; These things happen when you take God out of kids lives, they have no fear of an afterlife, no compassion, no values....

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Like Tree765Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

These things happen when you take God out of kids lives, they have no fear of an afterlife, no compassion, no values.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    These things happen when you take God out of kids lives, they have no fear of an afterlife, no compassion, no values.
    No, it's what happens when you take caring, tireless parenting out of kids lives.

Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    Most people moved further away from religion because it was forced down their throat in the first place. We all must come to know God in our own way and on his schedule. Not trying to flame anyone just saying that this tends to be more true than not.
    brownsbacker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
    Like I said in an earlier post, I'm making this judgment call based on the teachers I had throughout my school years. They had a hard enough time dealing with us, toss in an active shooter and they would freeze up and I'd make that bet all day long.

I'm not saying that SOME couldn't be effective in neutralizing a threat and if they are qualified and are known to be stable around kids while carrying then great. I'm saying that 95% of the teachers I had would freeze up and be helpless. I can only envision the 48 hour firearms course that would be mandated for teachers so that they may be "prepared" for such an eventuality.
    Back when I was in school, the teachers rarely if ever "had a hard enough time dealing with us". We were respectful to our elders and if we acted inappropriate in class we would be punished in school and at home.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I'm glad. There is no right in America to allow children to get shot up. It's time to put an end to it and bring this "right" back under control.

To clarify what I'm talking about . . . .

video removed

Funny thing, very few will EVER talk about limiting first amendment rights of the press.
    You are right, muzzling the press in the way described would have FAR more effect at stopping such violence than ANY set of gun bans.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Back when I was in school, the teachers rarely if ever "had a hard enough time dealing with us". We were respectful to our elders and if we acted inappropriate in class we would be punished in school and at home.
    Didn't say any of us were being disrespectful. We were kids with lots of energy and the teachers couldn't barely deal with us being kids.

I'm on this board because I'm pro 2A but in what universe do you folks see an elementary school being taught by a group of "Dirty Harry" teachers packing heat? I can't imagine any of my (then) middle aged women teachers, who constituted the majority of my teachers when I was in school, shooting at an intruder who is armed.
    never mess with a mama bear.
    phreddy and mano3 like this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Not sure if anyone has said this already, but IMO the only thing that could have mitigated the carnage today was a teacher carrying a gun.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    never mess with a mama bear.
    I don't know what that means cause my own mother, who has been around guns since marrying my dad, would likely freak and be ineffective against an armed assailant and it wouldn't matter if she was armed or not.

Means that a woman who views kids as hers, would do anything in her power to keep them safe.just because your mom has been around guns, doesn't mean she is familiar/carries them.
    phreddy and mano3 like this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Given the turn this thread has taken regarding armed teachers it's extremely ironic that the guns used in this shooting belonged to the teacher in that school. Her son stole the guns and caused a massacre, killing his mother and lots of kids in the process.

Most people moved further away from religion because it was forced down their throat in the first place. We all must come to know God in our own way and on his schedule. Not trying to flame anyone just saying that this tends to be more true than not.
    The government and their minions have been trying to force religion out of our lives and trying to make the government our religion.

First of all, give an honor to God and our lord and savior Barack Obama. -Jamie Foxx-
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by macg19 View Post
    Not sure if anyone has said this already, but IMO the only thing that could have mitigated the carnage today was a teacher carrying a gun.
    And there is only a CHANCE that it would have. If the teacher is taken out first, it will still take another time to get there if they were to come running. But they would most likely be hunkering down to protect their class. So, I do wish that they were able to carry just so that they had a greater chance of stopping something like this, but in reality it may have made no difference.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Given the turn this thread has taken regarding armed teachers it's extremely ironic that the guns used in this shooting belonged to the teacher in that school. Her son stole the guns and caused a massacre, killing his mother and lots of kids in the process.
    but the teacher wasn't allowed to carry her weapon to work.
    ANGLICO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Means that a woman who views kids as hers, would do anything in her power to keep them safe.just because your mom has been around guns, doesn't mean she is familiar/carries them.
    Thanks for clarifying. I'm sure my mom would try and shield us or something but she wouldn't be able to fire a gun in an emergency. She's just not wired for emergencies I guess though I believe that I personally am.

Links