BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown - Page 15

BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

This is a discussion on BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by mulle46 but the teacher wasn't allowed to carry her weapon to work. What's that old saying? "Better to have 12 judging than ...

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 453
Like Tree765Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

  1. #211
    Ex Member Array Ogien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    but the teacher wasn't allowed to carry her weapon to work.
    What's that old saying? "Better to have 12 judging than 6 carrying."


  2. #212
    Ex Member Array Pythius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    462
    time for every school in the USA to have at least one staff person who is trained and armed.
    Ogien, Arejay, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.

  3. #213
    Senior Member Array mulle46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,164
    Og,your mom might surprise you in a true emergency.quite a few moms have done what's normally impossible/improbable when their kids are in danger
    phreddy and mano3 like this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

  4. #214
    Member Array d2jlking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    Anyone who thinks that this event and recent similar ones won't result in some added gun restrictions is whistling past the graveyard. Rather than denial, I think the most constructive things we could be doing is trying to find an approach we can advocate that may help mitigate future mass shootings, but would not unduly penalize gun owners. I think that something is an outright ban on possession of high cap magazines. To me they serve no useful purpose in civilian hands and prohibiting them would not unduly infringe on the Second Amendment. i realize I may be the only person on the forum who feels this way, but so be it.
    And what is your definition of high capacity?

  5. #215
    Senior Member Array mulle46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
    What's that old saying? "Better to have 12 judging than 6 carrying."
    true, but that doesn't come to mind for most people.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

  6. #216
    Member Array macg19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    And there is only a CHANCE that it would have. If the teacher is taken out first, it will still take another time to get there if they were to come running. But they would most likely be hunkering down to protect their class. So, I do wish that they were able to carry just so that they had a greater chance of stopping something like this, but in reality it may have made no difference.
    agreed, which is why I said could, and not would...a slim chance is better than none, but its a moot point, it ain't ever gonna happen.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

  7. #217
    Senior Member Array NETim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    Anyone who thinks that this event and recent similar ones won't result in some added gun restrictions is whistling past the graveyard. Rather than denial, I think the most constructive things we could be doing is trying to find an approach we can advocate that may help mitigate future mass shootings, but would not unduly penalize gun owners. I think that something is an outright ban on possession of high cap magazines. To me they serve no useful purpose in civilian hands and prohibiting them would not unduly infringe on the Second Amendment. i realize I may be the only person on the forum who feels this way, but so be it.
    And what do we give up the next time? Why should the actions of a whack job dictate the rights and freedoms the rest of us (who have done absolutely nothing wrong) enjoy? Should all those who enjoy alcohol be penalized when some drunk driver kills someone?
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

  8. #218
    Member Array macg19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
    Given the turn this thread has taken regarding armed teachers it's extremely ironic that the guns used in this shooting belonged to the teacher in that school. Her son stole the guns and caused a massacre, killing his mother and lots of kids in the process.
    Source of the guns was the first question that came to my mind...assuming this confirmed can you share a link?
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

  9. #219
    VIP Member
    Array TX expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    4,056
    This is strictly a guess on my part but I'm going to throw this out there because of all the conjecture on what "caused" this tragedy.

    In the coming days and weeks I am guessing we'll find out a number of things that clearly illustrate how preventable this situation could have been.

    I think we'll find:

    1. The guns were legally purchased by the mother as some sort of placation for her son.
    2. The son had long standing psychological issues; probably nothing severe, but enough that there is ample evidence of it.
    3. The weapons were easily accessible to him on a regular basis.
    4. He has been desensitized to violent acts over the course of his short lifespan.
    5. Multiple people saw this coming.

    I'm not trying to lay any blame or point any fingers, I'm just posting my thoughts on where things will go and what we'll find out.
    BillK01, NETim, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.

  10. #220
    Member Array BillK01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    This is strictly a guess on my part but I'm going to throw this out there because of all the conjecture on what "caused" this tragedy.

    In the coming days and weeks I am guessing we'll find out a number of things that clearly illustrate how preventable this situation could have been.

    I think we'll find:

    1. The guns were legally purchased by the mother as some sort of placation for her son.
    2. The son had long standing psychological issues; probably nothing severe, but enough that there is ample evidence of it.
    3. The weapons were easily accessible to him on a regular basis.
    4. He has been desensitized to violent acts over the course of his short lifespan.
    5. Multiple people saw this coming.

    I'm not trying to lay any blame or point any fingers, I'm just posting my thoughts on where things will go and what we'll find out.
    My thoughts exactly. I was about to post practically the same thing.

  11. #221
    Member Array Maximpactguns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    time for every school in the USA to have at least one staff person who is trained and armed.
    Where I come from in Missouri there are actual police officers in the schools throughout the day. I think that would be a more reasonable option for most people who are uncomfortable with firearms in general. I'm all about having an assistant principle or principle being trained and armed. I won't be putting my daughter in public school with all this stuff going on. It's just terrible. I was watching Obamas speech and it didn't look like he was even actually crying. What a f'n tool. You all have got to be aware that they are wanting to take the guns away. I don't like or respect anyone who is anti-gun or pro-gun control. To me it's un-American. I have buried children before when I worked for a cemetery. It's probably the worst and most emotional type of funeral you can have. Now there are 20 children that are being buried right before christmas. It's just horrible. I couldn't even hold my emotions back putting families kids down in the ground. I hope the families can find some kind of healing through the holidays.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

  12. #222
    Member Array Maximpactguns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    221
    Well it said he was 24 so I'm assuming he was legally able to purchase them? Who knows. I wonder if he played videogames alot and what games, I had a college class on media influences on teenagers and children with the focus on music, movies and videogames. I grew up playing the original Grand Theft Auto, Doom, all those shooting games and I turned out a very respectable honest citizen. Some kids just can't handle their issues and are so quick to pick up a gun. All mine are locked up and not reachable to my daughter at ANY time. I don't even think she has seen any of my guns now that I think of it. We'll get to that several years from now when she has more understanding of things. Sorry I'll stop ranting.

  13. #223
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,058
    Prayers for the families and for the victims lost.

    Tonight be thankful to have those you love.
    oakchas likes this.

  14. #224
    Senior Member Array NETim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    Well it said he was 24 so I'm assuming he was legally able to purchase them? Who knows. I wonder if he played videogames alot and what games, I had a college class on media influences on teenagers and children with the focus on music, movies and videogames. I grew up playing the original Grand Theft Auto, Doom, all those shooting games and I turned out a very respectable honest citizen. Some kids just can't handle their issues and are so quick to pick up a gun. All mine are locked up and not reachable to my daughter at ANY time. I don't even think she has seen any of my guns now that I think of it. We'll get to that several years from now when she has more understanding of things. Sorry I'll stop ranting.
    I think the actual shooter was 20. His brother is 24. Don't know yet if and/or how the brother is involved.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

  15. #225
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    1,455
    I think every time a politician lies or decieves the public to a destructive end and it gets exposed, we should start calling for restrictions on the 1A. See how the advocates for a more civil and safer society feel when we start restricting their rights because of the actions of a few stupid individuals. I wonder how far that would get before they realized how stupid the same logic is when applied to other rights.

    Like, well, that guy over there was growing drugs in his house, so the police don't really need a warrant to search his house because he was a drug dealer...

    Sounds kind of rediculous when you think about it.
    Walk softly ...

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

connecticut shooting imagens
,
connecticut shotgun at school
,

connecticut shotgun elementary school

,

connecticut shotgun in school

,
connecticut shotgun on school
,
gavin de becker connecticut shooting
,
gavin de becker newtown
,

israeli teachers carry guns

,
kindergarten of conecticut shoot gun
,
news of connecticut shooting and imagens
,

newtontown shooting

,
robert licata ct
Click on a term to search for related topics.