BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

This is a discussion on BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by keboostman Anyone who thinks that this event and recent similar ones won't result in some added gun restrictions is whistling past the ...

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Like Tree765Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    Anyone who thinks that this event and recent similar ones won't result in some added gun restrictions is whistling past the graveyard. Rather than denial, I think the most constructive things we could be doing is trying to find an approach we can advocate that may help mitigate future mass shootings, but would not unduly penalize gun owners. I think that something is an outright ban on possession of high cap magazines. To me they serve no useful purpose in civilian hands and prohibiting them would not unduly infringe on the Second Amendment. i realize I may be the only person on the forum who feels this way, but so be it.
    I can't seem to find the "dislike" button...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

2. Remove Ads

Anyone who thinks that this event and recent similar ones won't result in some added gun restrictions is whistling past the graveyard. Rather than denial, I think the most constructive things we could be doing is trying to find an approach we can advocate that may help mitigate future mass shootings, but would not unduly penalize gun owners. I think that something is an outright ban on possession of high cap magazines. To me they serve no useful purpose in civilian hands and prohibiting them would not unduly infringe on the Second Amendment. i realize I may be the only person on the forum who feels this way, but so be it.
    You couldn't be more wrong and here's why:

The Constitution and Bill of Rights were written subsequent to our nation rebelling against its own government. That rebellion was 'top of mind' to the framers of the Constitution. The "well trained militia" and RKBA are not for the purposes of repelling foreign invasion, they're for the purpose of preventing our leaders from subjugating the population. If any weapon fits the definition of the 2A it's civilian weapons based on military style weapons. Just like the army and civilians both used muskets in the 18th century we need to have weapons like our soldiers carry.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Please, for five minutes, let both sides quit standing in the blood of the victims... And quit proselytizing over how we should stop this madness, whether it be with more regulation or less....

And just think about, pray for (if you're so inclined), the victims.

We can engage our battle later...

Let us be the better people here, and have respect and reverence for the victims.
    It's a gun forum. Guns were used to perpetuate this tragedy and so they are going to be a subject of discussion particularly on a gun forum. Everyone processes situations differently. Stop trying to begrudge people their methods. At least they're doing it in the right place.

it appears that the son committed a felony and stole his mother's guns.

the guns were owned legally.

no amount of gun control can prevent someone from stealing legally owned guns.

Some folks think that guns in the hand of law abiding citizens serve no useful purpose. Some would argue that a 50 cal serves no useful purpose. Some folks think that suppresors serve no useful purpose. Some folks think that...oh I can go on.

So sir, we can start banning things YOU feel serve no useful purrpose to appease the anti's and I guess we can just continue down the Yellow Brick road until we have a slingshot left which of course would have to locked up until ready to use.....
    (SARCASM OFF)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Anyone who thinks that this event and recent similar ones won't result in some added gun restrictions is whistling past the graveyard....
    there aren't enough votes for more serious gun control in the Federal govt.

I'm more concerned about executive order than a vote in Congress.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

This may be a new strategy of terrorist act, by attacking our schools and children is one way of preventing our country from future power... Hopefully im wrong, ..... Eddie.

Question: Was the Bushmaster found in the car? I have heard numerous reports that this was the case, and if so, the carnage was done by two pistols: a Glock and a Sig. Not that the media will care about this 'little' detail... after all, the SF Gate reported, "Weapons recovered at the scene included two handguns and an assault rifle capable of firing up to six bullets a second."

That would be a pretty fast trigger finger, don't ya know.

Read more: America's gun nightmare gets worse - SFGate
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    I'm more concerned about executive order than a vote in Congress.
    impossible.

won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    impossible.

won't happen.
    based on what? The president's politics,history?
    1MoreGoodGuy and DPro.40 like this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

As some might guess it was a pretty busy day.
    I see the mayor of Seattle jumping at the opportunity to exploit this tragedy. He wants to overturn state preemption, ban "assault weapons" close the "gun show loophole" and make it harder for people to own firearms.

The details on this outrage are still being sorted out. My colleagues in the press sure screwed up repeatedly.

Obama wants

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    based on what? The president's politics,history?
    POTUS doesn't have the power or authority to unilaterally enact new gun control laws.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    POTUS doesn't have the power or authority to unilaterally enact new gun control laws.
    hasnt stopped this president from signing executive orders. He doesn't seem to understand separation of powers

Kids are dead and we have people in here talking about the POTUS, smh FOHWTBS!

Got damn there can never be a thread without someone mentioning the POTUS, does he really stay on some of your minds that much that you have to mention him and his politics after 20 kids have been killed?

He' not that serious.
    oakchas likes this.

Links