BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

This is a discussion on BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Terrible tragedy. We need to work on preventing the person, instead of the tools they used. I gave my boys an extra hug before bed ...

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Like Tree765Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

Terrible tragedy. We need to work on preventing the person, instead of the tools they used.

I gave my boys an extra hug before bed tonight.

On a lighter note, I added these to their lists to Santa.http://www.dpl-surveillance-equipment.com/78753.html

🇺🇸 - Todd - 🇺🇸
    mano3 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Oh, here we go again. EOs are directives from a president to the agencies which he is responsible for. They are
    not directives to Congress, the courts, to state governments, or to ordinary citizens. Every President signs many of
    them on all manner of subject matter.

They are not law; EOs don't make new law. Of course a presidents signs EOs. That is how he accomplishes his job as
    the nation's Chief Executive--- EOs are a red herring issue not worthy of a second thought. Every last one of them must
    conform to the letter of the law. For example, a president can't simply direct the IRS to seize the bank accounts of
    some company. That would be an unlawful EO because such seizures aren't provided for in law and would happen without
    due process.
    Actually they carry the full force of law and maybe you need to broaden your perspective some because they have been used in the past to restrict our Second Amendment and they could easily be used again.

You are correct that EOs don't make new law but we have plenty of gun control laws on the books today that an EO could expand upon to capture items that the law previously didn't cover. Want to call that a red herring? Executive Orders are absolutely a potential threat to our Second Amendment and to dismiss the argument as casually as you tried speaks volumes about your lack of knowledge on the subject. The President may not be able to "ban" guns without congress passing some legislation but he just might be able to sign an EO that changes "assault weapons" into a NFA classification. Want an AR, go apply for your tax stamp and wait the 6 months.
    phreddy and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I'm not a professional, I don't get paid.

Really, you were a Marine and your DI never referred to the recruits as "girls" in jest?
    I am a Marine, will be till I die, and yes,my DIs did use that. However, that's a different situation. And I know you aren't paid,but you agreed to be a mod, so you accept a certain responsibility IMO.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

OD*
    Ok, lets get back on topic.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

These things happen when you take God out of kids lives, they have no fear of an afterlife, no compassion, no values.

Well I don't want to piss anyone off here but I don't care for organized religion in general. I don't think if this kid was a christian and had a relationship with God it would have turned out different. There are plenty of stories about good christian raised kids committing murder or christian faithed murderers. I respect anyone's personal beliefs but I just don't think they have a ton of influence on someone. I have never been baptized and was raised in a non church going christian family. I was raised with a top notch work ethic, responsibility, honesty and respect to others. I'm a great parent and provider for my family. I've been through some crazy times over the years and all I had to rely on was myself to get me through some very difficult times. I don't get my "values" from a book. It's just the way I feel between most people. Actually you'd probably be a little puzzled about my religious beliefs. It may also surprise you despite my views against organized religion I volunteer for the local Habitat for Humanity here with my trade skills so the less fortunate can have a places to live. I don't feel it's morally right to automatically pin your religion in regards to someone committing a horrible crime because they didn't have "God" in their life. That to me sounds like an excuse for someone. If you have a personal relationship with God or Jesus that's awesome! But it doesn't make you morally a better person than me or anyone else. Then again I'm not mental and have no reason to kill anyone unless they're endangering my family or myself. It's apparent this coward lacked any moral responsibility as an adult, but I doubt even if he was a Christian it would have made a difference in his choices he made this morning. I'm not trying to throw ANY disrespect your way either.
    Ogien, Darrow75 and suntzu like this.

God bless those victims and their families. It is gut wrenching to think of this happening to such young and innocent kids...
    OD* and Jeanlouise like this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Actually they carry the full force of law and maybe you need to broaden your perspective some because they have been used in the past to restrict our Second Amendment and they could easily be used again.

You are correct that EOs don't make new law but we have plenty of gun control laws on the books today that an EO could expand upon to capture items that the law previously didn't cover. Want to call that a red herring? Executive Orders are absolutely a potential threat to our Second Amendment and to dismiss the argument as casually as you tried speaks volumes about your lack of knowledge on the subject. The President may not be able to "ban" guns without congress passing some legislation but he just might be able to sign an EO that changes "assault weapons" into a NFA classification. Want an AR, go apply for your tax stamp and wait the 6 months.
    Nope, ain't how it goes.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Nope, ain't how it goes.
    Yeah Hop, I know... You never let a little thing like reality get in the way of your expert opinion. How about you explain to me how, after both Pres. Bush and Clinton both used Executive Orders to expand bans on importation of "assault weapons", that ain't how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Yeah Hop, I know... You never let a little thing like reality get in the way of your expert opinion. How about you explain to me how, after both Pres. Bush and Clinton both used Executive Orders to expand bans on importation of "assault weapons", that ain't how it goes.
    If I'm not mistaken that is a United Nations deal from a couple of months ago more or less. Who cares about importing weapons anyway? Buy American I always say.

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    Are you serious?

The kids, what we can do to somehow limit these tragic events, perhaps donations, etc. That's what should be discussed.

Not the president that's for sure, I have to wonder about any man or men who constantly think about another man and what that particular man is up to on a daily basis.
    donations to? How do you think we limit these events? And I constantly think about the President based on a DC thread? Nice to know my thoughts are broadcast to everyone.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
    If I'm not mistaken that is a United Nations deal from a couple of months ago more or less. Who cares about importing weapons anyway? Buy American I always say.
    Yes, you are mistaken. I'm not referring to anything the UN is doing. I'm talking about current American history and you may not care because you "buy American" but the time to start caring isn't when they finally get to your door.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
    Some of those weapons were M-1 Garands and M-1 Carbines, how much more American can you get??
    ANGLICO and kerberos like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm so sad to hear about this horrific tragedy. First above everything else I'd like to send my prayers and condolences for the all the victim's and their families/friends. After hearing about the Clackamas Town Square shooting locally these past couple days and now this words can't express the way I feel especially with all this going on during the holiday season.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I just saw a replay of the president reading his prepared speech (written by someone else) about the school shooting and he stumbled at one point and touched his brow as if he was overwelmed. This guy is such a phoney and lier when I hear his voice I want to puke. Prayers to the families and friends of all the victims.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Yeah father with two young kids, no way he could empathize.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Links