BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

This is a discussion on BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by chuckusaret I just saw a replay of the president reading his prepared speech (written by someone else) about the school shooting and ...

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
Like Tree765Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

Re: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I just saw a replay of the president reading his prepared speech (written by someone else) about the school shooting and he stumbled at one point and touched his brow as if he was overwelmed. This guy is such a phoney and lier when I hear his voice I want to puke. Prayers to the families and friends of all the victims.
    Give it a rest, would ya?
    Darrow75 and Dandyone like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

By allowing firearms into schools we place uncertainty in the mind of the would be shooter. He might rethink his target if he thought there was a chance that someone could stop him before he started.

Should teachers and administrators be required to be trained and carry? IMO, no. Should the have the option? Yes!

www.getcorded.com

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Think it's bad now? Wait for the copycats.

I just saw a replay of the president reading his prepared speech (written by someone else) about the school shooting and he stumbled at one point and touched his brow as if he was overwelmed. This guy is such a phoney and lier when I hear his voice I want to puke. Prayers to the families and friends of all the victims.
    You mean you didn't see those dry tears?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

...sigh

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Hopyard, you may be right about the way it is supposed to work, but I'm not convinced that that is the way it will work. Do not underestimate what some people are willing to do to get more power and control. They will use whaterver tragedy they can. The bigger the better, and this one is pretty big as far as they go.

While we have a desire to know this psycho's motives to try to make some sense of what has happened, they are looking for ways to twist this into something usefull to them. I know I want to understand what happened, but trying to figure out what was going through the mind of someone willing to slaughter gradeschoolers after shooting his mom in the head just might drive us to madness.

It would be nice if both sides would be able to let the community and families mourn, but we have seen what happens when one side lets the other walk all over them while trying to be honorable and not fight dirty.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    Yeah father with two young kids, no way he could empathize.

I react not as a President but as anyone else would, as a parent and that was especially true today. - Barack Obama -
    It's not about empathy, it's about being presidential and carrying yourself like a leader who has been elected to the highest office in the land and being our chosen representative who is also referred to as the leader of the free world.

It is NOT OK for the leader of the free world, the President of The United States, to "react" like a parent instead of acting like a leader and a President.

It is NOT OK for the leader of the free world, the President of The United States, to try to interject himself into this tragic event by implying that he is somehow connected to the event because he is a parent.

Presidents (leaders) must be calm and measured, not emotional and reactionary.

Our President should always "react" (read: conduct oneself), like a President. He was not elected to be our parent. He was elected to be our President. He is not our parent and he should never "react" like a parent. His job is to "react" as a President not as a parent.

When a President of the United States speaks at a Presidential press conference the President is the one who speaks...the parent doesn't speak...the husband doesn't speak...the dog owner doesn't speak...the golfer doesn't speak...the only one who should be speaking is the President.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I had a talk with my niece and asked her "What would she do?" she said she would hide in a closet. Then I said "what if he sees you go into the closet?" she had no response. I told her to get down and start moving to get out of the class.

I also told her that she could if possible throw anything on her desk ranging from books to crayons to distract the shooter and make her escape.

More schools should have active shooter drills.

No Time For Politics

No offense at all intended:

I have just learned very late of the total carnage of this event and the scores of children among and the majority of the dead. I can't believe it.
    I am in some kind of shock. I NEVER knew all day and evening it was this bad.

This is the time to pray for so many people it is sickening to think about - but prayers are the only thing left.

Let's post our horror and grief. As much as any who have never held a gun in their lives. That - aside from being the only appropriate response at this time - THAT is the one thing that might help the world to realize, the person who did this is not us, one of us, has no more to do with us than Hitler - and we have every ounce of grief and despair and horror anyone does, gunner, non-gunner, adult, child, ........

God help all those people, God help them......

I barely have words right now. I caught a glance of this story this morning when coverage first began. I just checked out the update and was shocked to see the count.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I am completely devastated by the events in Connecticut that lead to dead children by one man.
    I am disappointed by the medias anti-gun speeches. I won't get into debates or politics about it all I can say is my prayers go out to those little children that died and those affected including the parents, teachers and friends.

Religion and God are not the same thing. Atrocities of the past and present, be it claimed in the name of God, Jesus, Allah, Shiva, Budha, or a lone atheist have one thing that is constant and that is MAN.

Man is the result of a major social problem and always has been. Everything else is pretty much symptomatic.

A person's faith is core to many people on the forum, including myself. An offer of prayer during this time should be understandable. Events like this shake us to our core and I get it. But lets be civil and walk softly around the faith of others and respect those that do not believe.

Something that really bothers me with these kind of events is the media. Picture collages of people in duress, photos of parents receiving notification that their child is among the deceased do not need to be showcased every 2min and is beyond honorable journalism. Sensationalism and a rush to make statements that are not verified, in an effort to be the first agency to "drop the bomb" and keep spectators, is disgusting and has been for a long time. These false facts cause massive political ripples and yet we seem to tolerate it more freely. More often I am frustrated more by the big media companies than I am actually informed.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I have to say that my reaction to this was and is almost immediately much closer to anger, frustration, and helplessness than it is sadness. If I stop to think about the children and their families, both victims and survivors, the sadness sets in hard. But my primary and continuing reaction is basically and simply just a "what the f*** is wrong with us..."

What makes someone project their issue, anger and frustrations upon innocents, and in this case in the extreme.

Things would be a lot simpler if they would just reverse the shooting order.

Perhaps it really is time to consider finding a location and culture for my family where people actually respect humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    It's not about empathy, it's about being presidential and carrying yourself like a leader who has been elected to the highest office in the land and being our chosen representative who is also referred to as the leader of the free world.

It is NOT OK for the leader of the free world, the President of The United States, to "react" like a parent instead of acting like a leader and a President.

It is NOT OK for the leader of the free world, the President of The United States, to try to interject himself into this tragic event by implying that he is somehow connected to the event because he is a parent.

Presidents (leaders) must be calm and measured, not emotional and reactionary.

Our President should always "react" (read: conduct oneself), like a President. He was not elected to be our parent. He was elected to be our President. He is not our parent and he should never "react" like a parent. His job is to "react" as a President not as a parent.

When a President of the United States speaks at a Presidential press conference the President is the one who speaks...the parent doesn't speak...the husband doesn't speak...the dog owner doesn't speak...the golfer doesn't speak...the only one who should be speaking is the President.
    I am not disagreeing with your sentiment....but do you really want me to pull up "Presidential moments" of the past with every President we have had being what in your mind is "un-presidential"?

Is this just a hatred for Obama or every President who haas reacted this way to tragedy and joy during a press conference.

I am no Obama fan but seriously, this guy can discover cold fusion and solve the worlds energy problems and folks would still find something wrong with thatt.
    Darrow75, Se7en.US and oakchas like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I woke up this morning with a feeling of dread- they are going to release the names of the fallen children today. These are children that my daughter has played sports with, attended birthday parties with, etc...
    There are going to be parents we know who's worlds are broken.
    I moved to this town because it is/(was?) so safe. That illusion has been dissolved- crazy can be anywhere.

I sat and prayed with my wife and daughter last night, for the families, and for wisdom enough to explain this to her(my 5 year old). I am going to be as honest as possible without terrifying her.

She caught a snippet of the news this morning when she snuck into our room (Saturday morning is cartoon time) and heard someone or other talking about how bad guns were.
    She asked me: "Daddy- if guns are bad, how come you have some?" After taking a deep breath, I asked her if she remembers when I cut my hand at work with the knife (I was a sous chef.)
    She remembered. I told her that it wasn't the knife's fault, it was mine for cutting myself accidently. I explained that guns are like any other tool- that even a hammer can be a weapon in the hands of a "bad guy."

She asked how come I'm allowed to carry a "police gun" (which is her terminology for a pistol/revolver.) I took out my CCW permit, and explained that in our country, "Good guys" can ask the Government to be allowed to carry 'police guns," and that the government checks to make sure we ARE good guys. They then give us a card that allows us to carry "police guns" to protect our families. She asked if we could please practice lockdown drills at home. The lump in my throat almost choked me- my baby girl is thinking tactical defense situations at the age of five.

Sorry for such a rambling post... we are all in shock here, and not thinking very well. If anyone has constructive criticism or advice for me, or for me to share with other parents, please feel free to let me know.

Respectfully, and with a heavy heart,
    Sam
    Take the long way home...

Sam, I'm sad that your Daughter has to grow up so fast to even ask a question like that

We grew up in different times so we have to learn how to respond to our Children in their world.

Sorry about what happened to your community Sir!

Links