BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

This is a discussion on BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm watching MSNBC so I can get a handle on the strategy being fronted. One thing: Be aware that it will no longer be referred ...

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Like Tree765Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

I'm watching MSNBC so I can get a handle on the strategy being fronted.

One thing:
    Be aware that it will no longer be referred to as "Gun Control"
    Its being re-branded as "Gun Safety"
    The whole panel is on the bandwagon. 2 hours nonstop.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NewtownSam View Post
    I woke up this morning with a feeling of dread- they are going to release the names of the fallen children today. These are children that my daughter has played sports with, attended birthday parties with, etc...
    There are going to be parents we know who's worlds are broken.
    I moved to this town because it is/(was?) so safe. That illusion has been dissolved- crazy can be anywhere.

I sat and prayed with my wife and daughter last night, for the families, and for wisdom enough to explain this to her(my 5 year old). I am going to be as honest as possible without terrifying her.

She caught a snippet of the news this morning when she snuck into our room (Saturday morning is cartoon time) and heard someone or other talking about how bad guns were.
    She asked me: "Daddy- if guns are bad, how come you have some?" After taking a deep breath, I asked her if she remembers when I cut my hand at work with the knife (I was a sous chef.)
    She remembered. I told her that it wasn't the knife's fault, it was mine for cutting myself accidently. I explained that guns are like any other tool- that even a hammer can be a weapon in the hands of a "bad guy."

She asked how come I'm allowed to carry a "police gun" (which is her terminology for a pistol/revolver.) I took out my CCW permit, and explained that in our country, "Good guys" can ask the Government to be allowed to carry 'police guns," and that the government checks to make sure we ARE good guys. They then give us a card that allows us to carry "police guns" to protect our families. She asked if we could please practice lockdown drills at home. The lump in my throat almost choked me- my baby girl is thinking tactical defense situations at the age of five.

Sorry for such a rambling post... we are all in shock here, and not thinking very well. If anyone has constructive criticism or advice for me, or for me to share with other parents, please feel free to let me know.

Respectfully, and with a heavy heart,
    Sam
    Thank you for your post Sam, I can't imagine what you, your family and your community are going through. I hate that you had to have that conversation with your daughter but I think you did a good job explaining it to her. My heart goes out to you and yours.
    NewtownSam and carracer like this.

This can and is happening in other countries with other weapons. It's not just the US. It's not the weapon of choice that is the problem. It is a condition of a human heart and mind gone to evil and some type of sick desparation. We need to educate and be educated on recognizing signs and symptoms of these people going off course before they can act on their deranged plans.

In China, a sick man stabbed 22 children at a school ...

Man Stabs 22 Children at Chinese Elementary School
    Darrow75 and Jeanlouise like this.

I woke up this morning with a feeling of dread- they are going to release the names of the fallen children today. These are children that my daughter has played sports with, attended birthday parties with, etc...
    There are going to be parents we know who's worlds are broken.
    I moved to this town because it is/(was?) so safe. That illusion has been dissolved- crazy can be anywhere.

I sat and prayed with my wife and daughter last night, for the families, and for wisdom enough to explain this to her(my 5 year old). I am going to be as honest as possible without terrifying her.

She caught a snippet of the news this morning when she snuck into our room (Saturday morning is cartoon time) and heard someone or other talking about how bad guns were.
    She asked me: "Daddy- if guns are bad, how come you have some?" After taking a deep breath, I asked her if she remembers when I cut my hand at work with the knife (I was a sous chef.)
    She remembered. I told her that it wasn't the knife's fault, it was mine for cutting myself accidently. I explained that guns are like any other tool- that even a hammer can be a weapon in the hands of a "bad guy."

She asked how come I'm allowed to carry a "police gun" (which is her terminology for a pistol/revolver.) I took out my CCW permit, and explained that in our country, "Good guys" can ask the Government to be allowed to carry 'police guns," and that the government checks to make sure we ARE good guys. They then give us a card that allows us to carry "police guns" to protect our families. She asked if we could please practice lockdown drills at home. The lump in my throat almost choked me- my baby girl is thinking tactical defense situations at the age of five.

Sorry for such a rambling post... we are all in shock here, and not thinking very well. If anyone has constructive criticism or advice for me, or for me to share with other parents, please feel free to let me know.

Respectfully, and with a heavy heart,
    Sam
    Makes me sad that our children are concerned about such issues. At that age my biggest concern was learning to ride my bike. The world has gone crazy. Teach her well Sam
    carracer and mano3 like this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

NewtownSam, Your doing just fine. There's no instruction manual for stuff like this, but me thinks your doing an outstanding job at this 'daddy' thing.........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    There are no adequate words to describe what parents, siblings and friends like Sam and his family are going through. You did a good job of talking straight to her, of reassuring her that she is loved and secure--just keep it up. When she has bad dreams, etc, just hold her, love her and help her feel secure. You carry a "police gun" to help protect her.

At the same time, we actually need to be thankful and we live such a sheltered life here in the US. Do we remember the Belsen school massacre in Russia that left almost 400 dead? Think of all the places across the globe that it is currently (or was) "open season" on children by literal snipers--places like Syria, Bosnia, across much of Africa, where the snipers of opposing forces will intentionally target children. I counseled a soldier who had to shoot a 10 year old child because some evil men gave the child a locked and loaded AK and told him to go shoot those Americans......... All I am trying to say here is that EVIL abounds in our world and we are still Blessed to live in a society where evil is NOT the norm.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Honestly, this may be a turning point in the gun-control debate.

The American people are tired of hearing about mass-shootings...which are almost always commited with handguns.

The gun-lobby & gun-owners, need to respond to these tragic events with sympathy, understanding, and logic.

Simply circling the waggons simply will not due, and will only work against us. The American people need to understand the facts about guns and gun control, but gun owners also need to have an open mind.
    keboostman and detective like this.

VIP Member
    newtownSam...no advice because it sounds as if you're doing just fine. Like everyone else, I'm heartbroken for the children, families, friends and all the residents of your town. It's evident that there is no "safe place" for us to live. We all have to be vigilant, careful and prepared without sinking into constant fear and paranoia. It's a balancing act.
    God bless your little girl and keep her safe going forward.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. They are surely appreciated.

Respectfully,
    Sam
    Take the long way home...

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    Anyone who thinks that this event and recent similar ones won't result in some added gun restrictions is whistling past the graveyard. Rather than denial, I think the most constructive things we could be doing is trying to find an approach we can advocate that may help mitigate future mass shootings, but would not unduly penalize gun owners. I think that something is an outright ban on possession of high cap magazines. To me they serve no useful purpose in civilian hands and prohibiting them would not unduly infringe on the Second Amendment. i realize I may be the only person on the forum who feels this way, but so be it.
    I am ashamed to say I grew up in Fairfax Station.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. They are surely appreciated.

Respectfully,
    Sam
    I live in NYC, and often camp in Ward Pound Ridge, which is about 12 miles form Newtown.

I'm sure you know that ALL NYers are with you guys in this tragedy.
    NewtownSam likes this.

This may seem trite, but so be it:

95facebook95-104450540895.jpg
    airslot likes this.
    Take the long way home...

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    what is fohwtbs? Donations to limit a psychotic event? Are you serious?
    It's a profane acronym, and it doesn't belong here on this forum per the rules.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    This may seem trite, but so be it:

95facebook95-104450540895.jpg
    Not trite...timely.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So much talk about how this low crime area school did more than enough to ensure safety by installing the camera and buzzer system. Bull. My sons' schools use the same system. There is no audio. So any random person walks up, pushes the doorbell, gets viewed and is buzzed in, then is expected to go to the office to state his business but has access to the whole school. I have yet to see any mass shooter wearing a sign that announces his intent, or who waves his gun around to be seen by the office staff.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links