BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

This is a discussion on BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by detective IF this applies only: I posted a nicer note about the same thing, maybe this one is not so nice but ...

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree765Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    IF this applies only:

I posted a nicer note about the same thing, maybe this one is not so nice but the bodies of dead children cool while some of this completely inappropriate political talk and pot-shots at THAT side and THIS side and Obama etc. reek on, my god - WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE - this talk is completely inappropriate and shows a huge lack of empathy for the victims and families, you don't even mention them but show them all your heels as you climb up on your platforms. Stop with this obsessive preoccupation that sounds very much like a self-justification for that which you are not blamed. This is not the time for "ME AND MY GUNS" - imagine the parents of the dead children and offer an act to help them - a few words, or silent prayer.

Be Silent or post your grief and prayers - a neutral person reading some of these posts hours after a national tragedy involving the slaughter of innocents would be vehemently anti-guns and gunner forever after and I would not blame them in the least I'm ashamed as someone who owns a gun.In spite of all the moving comments - this sub-group sticks out like a terrible affront to decency in a Church-Yard Cemetery would.

This is time for the dead and survivors may god help them - only for them.
    This is a gun forum to talk about guns. That doesn't mean in our real lives we aren't concerned and compassionate people. A "neutral" person probably isn't reading these forums and if they are I would hope they understand they are reading a GUN forum. Should the forum just shut down for a week or so?
    So...you stop.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

IF this applies only:

I posted a nicer note about the same thing, maybe this one is not so nice but the bodies of dead children cool while some of this completely inappropriate political talk and pot-shots at THAT side and THIS side and Obama etc. reek on, my god - WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE - this talk is completely inappropriate and shows a huge lack of empathy for the victims and families, you don't even mention them but show them all your heels as you climb up on your platforms. Stop with this obsessive preoccupation that sounds very much like a self-justification for that which you are not blamed. This is not the time for "ME AND MY GUNS" - imagine the parents of the dead children and offer an act to help them - a few words, or silent prayer.

Be Silent or post your grief and prayers - a neutral person reading some of these posts hours after a national tragedy involving the slaughter of innocents would be vehemently anti-guns and gunner forever after and I would not blame them in the least I'm ashamed as someone who owns a gun.In spite of all the moving comments - this sub-group sticks out like a terrible affront to decency in a Church-Yard Cemetery would.

I agree with you. Some on this forum act like losing the ability to buy an extended magazine clip is somehow a greater tragedy than what happened in Connecticut. This circling the wagons mentality is a bit hard to stomach for some and I certainly see that. It almost seems like the fantasy of defending the ol' Homestead against the imaginary occupation force is winning out over common human decency.

I'm a proud gun owner but I haven't lost perspective that those around me have rights also. They have the right to feel safe and protected and according to the Constitution my rights are to be protected as long as they do not encroach on the rights of others. Finally, I only need 3 bullets because if I need more than I have no business carrying a gun. Nobody is going to have a mega-thousand round shootout with anyone and to think otherwise is simply living in fantasy. 99.9% of firefights last only a few seconds anyway.

Go ahead boys, flame away.
    1 old 0311 and detective like this.

I posted a nicer note about the same thing, maybe this one is not so nice but the bodies of dead children cool while some of this completely inappropriate political talk and pot-shots at THAT side and THIS side and Obama etc. reek on, my god - WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE - this talk is completely inappropriate and shows a huge lack of empathy for the victims and families ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
    I agree with you. Some on this forum act like losing the ability to buy an extended magazine clip is somehow a greater tragedy than what happened in Connecticut.

Sanctimony is way out of line, here. Please, don't presume what others are or aren't feeling and thinking outside of the forum. Bad form.

This is, after all, a firearms- and defense-related discussion forum. It's what we do here, online.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    You're making some sweeping and absurd statements there Ogien.
    Oh, and good luck with those 3 bullets.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Sanctimony is way out of line, here. Please, don't presume what others are or aren't feeling and thinking outside of the forum. Bad form.

This is, after all, a firearms- and defense-related discussion forum. It's what we do here, online.
    You're right, but all the political vitriol and sniping is unbecoming to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    You're making some sweeping and absurd statements there Ogien.
    Oh, and good luck with those 3 bullets.
    Luck has nothing to do with it.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I agree with you. Some on this forum act like losing the ability to buy an extended magazine clip is somehow a greater tragedy than what happened in Connecticut. This circling the wagons mentality is a bit hard to stomach for some and I certainly see that. It almost seems like the fantasy of defending the ol' Homestead against the imaginary occupation force is winning out over common human decency.

I'm a proud gun owner but I haven't lost perspective that those around me have rights also. They have the right to feel safe and protected and according to the Constitution my rights are to be protected as long as they do not encroach on the rights of others. Finally, I only need 3 bullets because if I need more than I have no business carrying a gun. Nobody is going to have a mega-thousand round shootout with anyone and to think otherwise is simply living in fantasy. 99.9% of firefights last only a few seconds anyway.

Go ahead boys, flame away.
    If you have been fighting the good fight for gun rights as long as I have (and it doesn't look like it), you would be severely tired of how the antis ALWAYS use these incidents to shore up their side and attack gun rights. As if the good people with guns are the whole problem, and making guns completely illegal is the solution, when in fact the people doing these attacks ARE ALREADY QUITE ILLEGAL -- so how does that stop anything? Then the antis start saying how they mean for guns to simply disappear, which is nothing but a pipe dream. Two sets of people (pro-gun and anti-gun) with completely different mindsets; no chance for them to do anything but argue right past each other. So the arguments continue forever, with both sides thinking they are right. One difference: the antis use pretty much pure emotion while the real facts and logic are on the pro-gun side. That doesn't help us much as the antis do a good job of putting their hands over their ears and repeating their ridiculous calls for banning guns.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

The only thing in this whole event that I have any feelings about is anger at the moron because of the backlash against guns that is following.

VIP Member
    Luck has nothing to do with it.
    So what's your plan with 3 bullets if there are 4 BG's?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Pythius --
    Your statement that strong gun laws correlate with safer nations -- well, correlation is NOT causation first of all.
    Secondly regarding other Western culture nations in Europe, the biggest single reason why "gun control" appears to work there and not here is something completely unrelated -- the fact that in the USA, about 1 person in 300 grows up twisted to be evil; in Europe the figure is more like 1 in 30,000.....
    care to elaborate?

They have the right to feel safe and protected and according to the Constitution
    Where was that stated in the Constitution exactly???

I must have missed it the last time I read it...

CharlesMorri and packinnova like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Where was that stated in the Constitution exactly???

I must have missed it the last time I read it...

Bill of Rights: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

Unless you're going to tell me that the fathers of this nation were only kidding about that part as they didn't use those exact words in the Constitution itself. They said inalienable rights thus rights that are implicit to every human being in the United States.

Hell, blood and lives were lost defending those rights so if you tell me that it somehow isn't part of what we believe in as a country then the whole revolutionary war was for nothing at all.

That would be nice though Ogien...

The right to "feel safe and protected"

Of course for me personally that would include the right to own claymores and grenade launchers...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

IF this applies only:

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Many of us have said our prayers and are gireving. You are not ruler here. When would you like to talk about this? Months later when it is off of the minds of most Americans. Americans have a short memory.
    No offense at all intended:

I have just learned very late of the total carnage of this event and the scores of children among and the majority of the dead. I can't believe it.
    I am in some kind of shock. I NEVER knew all day and evening it was this bad.

This is the time to pray for so many people it is sickening to think about - but prayers are the only thing left.

Let's post our horror and grief. As much as any who have never held a gun in their lives. That - aside from being the only appropriate response at this time - THAT is the one thing that might help the world to realize, the person who did this is not us, one of us, has no more to do with us than Hitler - and we have every ounce of grief and despair and horror anyone does, gunner, non-gunner, adult, child, ........

God help all those people, God help them......

Dear Mr. detective,

You are, through your shaded periscopes, preaching to the choir!

The one's you should be hounding are the anti gun groups. We have been reminded throughout this thread, dauntlessly, how those whom hate ownership of any style of firearms, jumps at any chance to tout their oppositions to our 2A Rights! They are taking full advantage of this Macabre Event to do everything they can to make their agenda heard. So if we do not voice our stand then they will be the only voice heard.

Is now the correct time to voice their knee jerk reactions? NO!

But if we do not respond to their unsympathetic rhetoric, then we will lose our stance. Since they insist on displaying inappropriate behavior during this time of sorrow, they leave us no choice but to try to defend our position as well. So fling mud in the eyes of those that have no compaction but to argue their agenda every chance they have, and to use this tragedy in such an untimely fashion as the anti's are shows how they will go to great lengths to sway public opinion's their way!

Hoganbeg and msgt/ret like this.

Bill of Rights: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
    That was in the Declaration of Independence, which is not law. It was merely a statement of purpose for breaking from the Brits.

The Constitution, OTOH, states nothing about any right to life, per se. Related to "defense" of the person, though, it specifically mentions only being armed (in the 2A).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links