BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown - Page 25

BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

This is a discussion on BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 If you think everyone on this site is pro-gun you are mistaken. Correct. I've noticed quite a few since ...

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree765Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    If you think everyone on this site is pro-gun you are mistaken.
    Correct. I've noticed quite a few since joining and I'm a relatively new member (I really realized this from reading posts that were from '06).
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'm not anti gun in the least. I believe in the second amendment and I own several firearms. Some are as collection pieces and some are for other reasons. I agree that one should always be taking classes at least maybe once per year to keep all that information fresh in ones mind. I'm sorry that most of you disagree with me and my EXAMPLE of extended clips but things done within reason for the greater good of our friends, family and neighbors is not beyond the pail of reason.

To those of you who "tuned me out" when I mentioned extended clips as an example I feel sorry for your because you're basically sticking your fingers in your ears rather than having a discussion on what we can do as a group.

Whether for hunting, target shooting, self defense or miselanius we have one thing in common, we own and appreciate firearms. We can also agree on another thing and it's that this shooter, and other who came before him, make life very difficult for law abiding citizens who wouldn't ever dream of shooting someone with malice and certainly not a school. This is the time for emotions to settle and for remembering the victims and that's why I didn't mention the shooters name. He is a POS and I hope he's rotting in hell, he stole so many innocent lives and left US to pick up the pieces. The chicken-spit even took himeslf out of the equation and left us to wonder "why?"

I'm not going to "Prove" anything about my gun ownership or my proficiency with said firearms to anyone because it's none of your business, it's my business. If you disagree with me then that's fine but personal attacks aren't going to hurt my feelings as there is something far more important at stake than my feelings or ego, or your feelings and ego. We can pretend all we want but we have a very serious problem and we need to solve it without infringing on any single groups rites too much. We will need to eventually have some "give and take" because things are getting worse every day and if you don't think so then I have to question what reality you're living in.

I'm nobodies enemy here, I have my opinions and I raise questions and suggest ideas as they occur to me, I put them out there and hope for intelligent responses as that's how conversations take place and where results actually spring from. I'm not lobbying for or against magazine clips of any sort, I used that as an example so please lets not jump the gun and suspect that just because someone is making suggestions then it must immediately mean that they are a "Pinko Liberal Commie" cause it just isn't so and that goes for those who happen to be Democrat gun owners too.

Furthermore, the more we ignore the problems and realities of what's going on the more damage we are doing to our own cause as we end up marginalizing ourselves as "gun nuts" who care about nothing else. If we were the ones to propose a solution rather than circling the wagons perhaps we could change peoples minds about what kind of people we really are.
    keboostman, detective and 9MMare like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogien View Post
    I'm not going to "Prove" anything about my gun ownership or my proficiency with said firearms to anyone because it's none of your business, it's my business.
    It becomes my business as soon as you start making proclamations about what would be best for all of us based on your limited amount of real world knowledge on the subject. If you don't think you need, or want, more than three shots, then feel free to make the personal decision to only carry that many. Don't, however, make the mistake of thinking that you have any right, or reason, to make those judgements for anyone but yourself.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

I kind of agree with Ogien. This is getting ridiculous. It's what, 3 incidents in 1-2 weeks? Something has to change, but I haven't the first clue what. I know what a large portion of my friends and acquaintances are thinking, and that is, "no more guns." It's going to be a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    It becomes my business as soon as you start making proclamations about what would be best for all of us based on your limited amount of real world knowledge on the subject. If you don't think you need, or want, more than three shots, then feel free to make the personal decision to only carry that many. Don't, however, make the mistake of thinking that you have any right, or reason, to make those judgements for anyone but yourself.
    Just because you believe it's your business doesn't make it so and I'm not going to attempt to prove anything to someone on an Internet message board whom I know nothing about.

I'm not anti gun in the least. I believe in the second amendment and I own several firearms. Some are as collection pieces and some are for other reasons. I agree that one should always be taking classes at least maybe once per year to keep all that information fresh in ones mind. I'm sorry that most of you disagree with me and my EXAMPLE of extended clips but things done within reason for the greater good of our friends, family and neighbors is not beyond the pail of reason.

To those of you who "tuned me out" when I mentioned extended clips as an example I feel sorry for your because you're basically sticking your fingers in your ears rather than having a discussion on what we can do as a group.

Whether for hunting, target shooting, self defense or miselanius we have one thing in common, we own and appreciate firearms. We can also agree on another thing and it's that this shooter, and other who came before him, make life very difficult for law abiding citizens who wouldn't ever dream of shooting someone with malice and certainly not a school. This is the time for emotions to settle and for remembering the victims and that's why I didn't mention the shooters name. He is a POS and I hope he's rotting in hell, he stole so many innocent lives and left US to pick up the pieces. The chicken-spit even took himeslf out of the equation and left us to wonder "why?"

I'm not going to "Prove" anything about my gun ownership or my proficiency with said firearms to anyone because it's none of your business, it's my business. If you disagree with me then that's fine but personal attacks aren't going to hurt my feelings as there is something far more important at stake than my feelings or ego, or your feelings and ego. We can pretend all we want but we have a very serious problem and we need to solve it without infringing on any single groups rites too much. We will need to eventually have some "give and take" because things are getting worse every day and if you don't think so then I have to question what reality you're living in.

I'm nobodies enemy here, I have my opinions and I raise questions and suggest ideas as they occur to me, I put them out there and hope for intelligent responses as that's how conversations take place and where results actually spring from. I'm not lobbying for or against magazine clips of any sort, I used that as an example so please lets not jump the gun and suspect that just because someone is making suggestions then it must immediately mean that they are a "Pinko Liberal Commie" cause it just isn't so and that goes for those who happen to be Democrat gun owners too.

Furthermore, the more we ignore the problems and realities of what's going on the more damage we are doing to our own cause as we end up marginalizing ourselves as "gun nuts" who care about nothing else. If we were the ones to propose a solution rather than circling the wagons perhaps we could change peoples minds about what kind of people we really are.
    Nope. I am sticking to my prior assumption of your character in that I think that you are .... Ill informed.
    My hand guns don't use "clips" which is where I tuned you out.
    Then you go and do it again....
    Nope, I'll stick with my earlier statement.. You sir are are NOT authorized to bargain away my 2A rights. You can give them your guns... I think I'll keep mine as they are...
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    By all means... Feel free to point them out. We can have the gun control conversation here and now. Might be a good thing to hear the opposing sides arguments while we are all here!

Not my job to either educate or point out the obvious. Don't just read what is written, read INTO what is written.

OK there tough guy, holster that eGun as this is a thread about 27 murdered people and what we can do to prevent future such incidents. This thread is not about you being an Internet tough guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I kind of agree with Ogien. This is getting ridiculous. It's what, 3 incidents in 1-2 weeks? Something has to change, but I haven't the first clue what. I know what a large portion of my friends and acquaintances are thinking, and that is, "no more guns." It's going to be a huge problem.
    You want to try to stop this from happening again? Try this for starters:

Darrow75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    Nope. I am sticking to my prior assumption of your character in that I think that you are .... Ill informed.
    My hand guns don't use "clips" which is where I tuned you out.
    Then you go and do it again....
    Nope, I'll stick with my earlier statement.. You sir are are NOT authorized to bargain away my 2A rights. You can give them your guns... I think I'll keep mine as they are...
    And you sir don't have my authorization to paint me as a "gun nut" who cares only about myself and screw everyone else.

And you sir don't have my authorization to paint me as a "gun nut" who cares only about myself and screw everyone else.
    I think your doing a fine job without me!
    Keep up the good work!
    blitzburgh likes this.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billb1960 View Post
    You want to try to stop this from happening again? Try this for starters:

Well, that's certainly a reasonable start. I doubt it'll get traction, sadly.
    Billb1960 likes this.

Israeli_teacher_with_her_class (2).jpg

This is how the Israeli school system handles the problem.... something to ponder....
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Just because you believe it's your business doesn't make it so and I'm not going to attempt to prove anything to someone on an Internet message board whom I know nothing about.
    No it absolutely does become my business because you are choosing to take what you believe and apply it to other people and that does make it my business. You can talk all day long about what you are personally going to do to keep a tragedy like this from occurring again. More power to you. Once you start suggesting what I should do, or more importantly, be subject to, then you've crossed the line from your business to my business.

You see, I know how useless thee shots could be. Because I train I realize that guns jam, one shot stops are rare, stress causes errors and gun fights aren't like the movies. Because I train I realize that there is no advantage not worth having, especially if my life or the lives of my family are on the line. And finally, because I train I can, without much error, easily spot the person who hasn't trained. So your posturing about what you aren't going to prove because you don't know anything about me rings as false as it is. How about you just man up and admit that you took your state mandated course for concealed carry, if you even did that, and just move on. Not having knowledge isn't a crime, or even shameful, but trying to pass yourself off as knowing more than you do is pretty useless when you are talking to a group of folks that do have a higher degree of understanding.

If you want to come here and "raise questions and suggest ideas as they occur to me, I put them out there and hope for intelligent responses", then that's fine by me, but you better have either a very solid foundation for those ideas or you should be ready to accept the critical responses that you receive. You aren't in a position to create intelligent responses when your ideas aren't borne from experience.
    ccw9mm and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Unfortunately not to sound callous here but these type incidents have happened in this country throughout history......18th and 19th centuries here witnessed many indian massacres and army massacres alike....20th century had it's racial murders and linchings and now the onset of these military actions and damn video games makes these kids feel they are the devil's advocate.....killing videos are no games and no joke...IMO.
    A few years back I had a neighbor kill his wife with a hammer.....was that OK cause he didn't use a firearm.....murder is murder anyway you cut it.....a gun can sit quiet in a closet for 100 years until one mentally deranged individual picks it up and creates a haneous situation like this one......blame a gun......only a fool or a politicians would do that...IMO.....I guess one in the same.

This isn't the first, nor will it be the last.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to prevent every tragedy no matter what laws exist.

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/Massa...assad+Ayoob%29

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Links