BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown - Page 31

BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

This is a discussion on BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by NewtownSam Oh, and by the by, I realize that my avatar may be deemed offensive by some, or politically charged. If anyone ...

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031
Like Tree765Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtownSam View Post
    Oh, and by the by, I realize that my avatar may be deemed offensive by some, or politically charged. If anyone feels that way, please tell a moderator. I will remove it if asked.
    I don't find your avatar offensive in the least. I think it speaks the real truth of the situation.

With regard to the post by detective , there is certainly going to be the "We need (more) laws" cry. The fact is that there are already laws against this sort of thing and they, nor any new law can prevent this sort of thing. Unfortunately, "laws" seem to be the only thing that the antis and pacifists understand and for some reason they seem to believe them to be effective. Perhaps it is because they feel bound and accountable by them they project that this is how everyone acts and hence reason that laws are the answer. With regards to the need for police, as has been pointed out, at least in other threads, when tragedy strikes, the carnage happens in minutes or even seconds; far faster than any police force can possibly hope to respond.

The bottom line is that there is no law, no restriction, no imposition that can be placed on the citizens of this country that will prevent these types of tragedies. While I understand how they feel, the antis need to quit trying to stomp on those who have done no wrong in an attempt to control that which can't be controlled. I guarantee that the pro-2A community is just as opposed to these occurrences as anyone else, and if it were possible for some law to be drafted that would prevent them, the community would be for it. The fact is, that there is not. What we can do, though, is eliminate these soft targets called "gun free zones" which only contribute to the problem.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    This was a k to 4 th grade school. Usually resource officers are needed in the JHS and HS. These were little kids.

If you want armed guards at all schools that is worth discussing; but it is a different issue from having a resource
    officer on hand to deal with out of control teens.
    Several decades ago, a relative went to Colombia as a foreign exchange student. The thing that amazed him most was seeing armed military riding the school buses to protect the children.

We'll close this thread for now. Perhaps it'll be opened again later when folks have gotten a grip on their feelings. The Forum could be a good place to sound off in the aftermath of a tragedy of this magnitude but folks need to remain civil.

Personally I'm past desiring to even debate further "compromise" on the gun control front. The right to keep and bear arms was reserved for the people. Let's don't be foolish people and incrementally give it away.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Sponsored Links