BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

This is a discussion on BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hearing shooter's mother was a teacher at the school, and is dead, along with some of her students. Shooter has been named. I will not ...

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Like Tree765Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

Hearing shooter's mother was a teacher at the school, and is dead, along with some of her students. Shooter has been named. I will not repeat it.

Not clear if the mother was killed at the school in CT or in NJ.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; December 14th, 2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: more info
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Already hearing "high powered semi automatic weapons" on CNN....so instead if praying for those involved and their families they are discussing the tools used

Quote Originally Posted by tdrussell View Post
    now reporting shooter is 24...so he could have purchased/owned legally :( not sure about CT laws specifically though
    CT laws are relatively strict however he could have purchased and owned legally yes

Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, I-96 Shooter, Oregon Mall Shooting, and now Sandy Hook Elementary. These shooting are going to be used heavily in national politics two years from now during midterm elections. While I would agree firearms are not the cause, they are a component. Many will jump to defend 2-A, the arguments relied on are going to be as stale as the anti-gun nuts talking head chatter on MSNBC.

While we can bemoan all we want about how these shooting are covered, or how people are blaming firearms but not something else, there is a serious problem in our societal norm. While firearms are not the cause, respectfully it is fringed and skewed to state the solution is more firearms.
    Hopyard likes this.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

My heart is breaking for these poor people...I can't imagine what the families are going through.

Something bad is happening in this world and I just don't understand why so many people are just going off the deep end these past few years. Unfortunately, I see more and more episodes like this happening in our future, not just in this country but throughout the world. This is a sad and angry world we are living in.
    Jeanlouise and Richard58 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    There are no amount of laws that will stop these kinds of events from happening. Take guns away they'll just drive cars into buildings, or make a bomb, or stab people, or poison them, etc. Lots of ways to hurt and kill people without firearms. All we can hope for is more people who are armed and willing to help stop the bloodshed or at least transfer it to the bad people.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.
    I totally agree.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Terrible tragedy. Why do these sickos have to take so many victims with them?
    A book I read daily has the answer to that question. But can't go into that here and there would be many who would argue my assertion. But that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    niks, Cleandean, mg27 and 3 others like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Repeating my earlier post, my thoughts are with these people. No parent should ever, ever, have to worry about the safety of their child. I know I will go home today soon, and hug my daughter close, and be ever thankful that I still have her in my life.

I know that were I in their shoes, were I to lose my daughter, it would only enforce my belief that good, law abiding people must be armed to help protect each other and our children against the continuing morale decline of our society. I hope at least some of them feel that way.

But I'm not them, and I didn't lose my child, and I can only imagine how they must feel. And even in my imagination, as horrid as it is, it can't be even 1% of how they feel.

I'm not a praying man, but I will for their sake.

As a side note:
    [Updated at 1:47 p.m. ET] A few more details from the White House press briefing earlier. White House spokesman Jay Carney said while today is not the day to debate gun policy, an assault weapons ban "does remain a commitment" of President Obama.
    ^ from CNN.com
    Darrow75 likes this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Here's an email I just shot off to my legislators:

"NO GUNS" signs and laws are only obeyed by law abiding citizens. What public safety mission are they supposed to accomplish? I propose a change in law that would allow all citizens to carry firearms on all public properties. Such a law, unlike "Gun Free" laws, would actually enhance the safety of citizens across our land. A "Gun Free Zone" is nothing more than a victim disarmanent/criminal empowerment zone. Safety-minded public policy should be implemented in all schools and public buildings. Our children deserve to benefit from such an enhanced public policy. Right now I am at work and worried sick about the safety of my children, who are currently in school. Let me be clear. I want my childrens' teachers to be able to stop an active shooter. I want to be able to protect my children at school just as I am able to do outside of school. To recap, if someone wanted to shoot up a school, the law against bringing that gun to school means NOTHING compared to the murders that would ensue. It is a ridiculous impotent law that puts our children in danger. Virtually every mass shooting in US history has occured in a "Gun Free Zone." Isn't it time we took a logical and fact-based approach to preventing the murder of our children?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I finally have my daughter home from her school. Now I just need to pray for the wisdom needed to explain this in an appropriate way to a five year old.
    Take the long way home...

Glad to hear it NewtownSam

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    They need to take that shooter's body and hang it from a tree, then burn it, then dump the ashes down the sewer where it belongs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Here's an email I just shot off to my legislators:
    Thanks for this, I'm sending similar to mine in just a moment.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtownSam View Post
    I finally have my daughter home from her school. Now I just need to pray for the wisdom needed to explain this in an appropriate way to a five year old.
    Very glad you have your child home.
    NewtownSam likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdp751 View Post
    Life as we know it will probably be changing very shortly's I feel so bad for the families who lost their loved one. Why is this happening I am 62 years old when I was young this sort of thing never really happened but yet we had military semi automatic weapons at that time as well like an M1 carbine that has a high-capacity magazines ,, but the people in this country have changed there are a lot of unhappy people in this country for various reasons of their own, today's people grow up with a lot of violence on TV which the older generations did not have as much, the older generations always had one family member at the house your mother, most households were able to get by with one income so you always had one parent home with the children, but things have changed today most children when they get out of school they come home to an empty house and I think that affects them as they grow older, there is so much stress in people and anger, our doctors are giving out drugs to our children like candy, and the adult population are taking far too many drugs as well that are prescribed, and the food we eat today is mostly made up of chemicals compared to years ago, there is something really wrong in this country that is causing this making people do these bad things, and the problem is not a gun we have had them around for many years without these problems, something has made these people change to go over the edge, instead of actually fixing the problem they will go to the easiest solution take your second amendment, rather than fix whatever's wrong in this country making these people to do this, our government needs to be fixed our economy needs to be fixed we need to put people back to work and the only way I can see this happening by having ((fair trade)) ((not free trade)) with other countries, and penalizing any companies in the US who do not make the products here in the U S A and wants to sell their products here
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I don't blame the handgun.......I blame more so the society we live in......all the time spent by these young adults playing these real to life war video games....I know, nobody likes to hear this but in reality, dressing up in this camo clothing and assualting a building weather it be a movie theatre, mall or school.....as far as I'm concerned, they are playing out their war scenarios.....IMO.....they 're not entertainment just videos of Killing.......didn't have these when i was growing up........NG.
    Here's another perspective with chart from the beginning of last century. Through 2009, mass shootings were on the decline from each of the previous two decades. Tragically, the 20 teens (2010-2019) are on a crazy pace. Who knows why?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Links