BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

This is a discussion on BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My heart goes out to the victims and their families...I am sickened as the reports keep focusing on the weapons and how this will re-kindle ...

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree765Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My heart goes out to the victims and their families...I am sickened as the reports keep focusing on the weapons and how this will re-kindle the debate on gun control. This is not the time nor the place.

A weapon by itself will not commit harm or murder, matters not whether it is a gun, knife, baseball bat, or a tire iron.

22 kids, 1 adult injured in knife attack outside Chinese school | Fox News
    NewtownSam and Ogien like this.
    Proud NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Here's an email I just shot off to my legislators:
    Virtually every mass shooting in US history has occured in a "Gun Free Zone." Isn't it time we took a logical and fact-based approach to preventing the murder of our children?
    Maybe you are a little emotionally charged. Who isn't? But in the interest of logic and facts, there are plenty of mass shootings in places that people might carry. Probably just more in "gun free" zones.
    Thanis likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Wow been in tears alot today

My Mother taught 1st grade in this county for 43 years.

Shes retired now .

I am 51.

I have a Girl Buddy thats works @ a local High school .

I will tell ya I like her alot . ( both of us has gone threw real bad divorce)

I could not even wonder how bad that pain is for those folks it sooooooooooooo sad .

I cant help but think about the pain thats why I have been in tears alot today.

I always tell her to be careful, when I see her going to work she often has had the deer in head lights look.

And has said I am only going to work.

Very hard days like this should remind all parents , married folks , And Buddy like I have to tell them HOW MUCH YOU LOVE THEM EVERY

Day. I HAVE HAD A VERY ROUGH YEAR BUT NONTHING LIKE THESE FOLKS TODAY. Prayers Sent.

Re: BREAKING: Shooting Connecticut Elementary School in Newtown

@Newton Sam: all politics aside I'm glad your daughter is home safe. I think about my son in that situation and my heart goes cold.

Sent from my Motorola on a very tiny keyboard. Awkward autocorrects are not unexpected.
    NewtownSam likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtownSam View Post
    I finally have my daughter home from her school. Now I just need to pray for the wisdom needed to explain this in an appropriate way to a five year old.
    You don't try to explain it unless they ask. Keep the news off for a few days, at least that's what I'd do if I had little kids again.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

My own version of the OP's letter:

In light of the horrific events in the Connecticut elementary school shooting, I’m writing you in hopes to push for a logical change to the guns-free zones. While I am incredibly loathe to use such an awful event to springboard this, I feel it is necessary as the vast majority of people will want to react emotionally and not logically, aiming for something they believe will protect our children but will in fact only put them in further harm; by which I’m referring to reactive gun control.

The current “NO FIREARMS” signs and laws are only obeyed by law abiding citizens. While in theory they are a logical protection for our children and families, they are proving to consistently fail at their intended goal. I propose a change in law that would allow all citizens to carry firearms on all public properties. Such a law, unlike "Gun Free" laws, would actually enhance the safety of citizens across our land. A "Gun Free Zone" is nothing more than a victim disarmament/criminal empowerment zone. Safety-minded public policy should be implemented in all schools and public buildings. Our children deserve to benefit from such an enhanced public policy. Right now I am at work and near-irrationally worried about the safety of my ten year old daughter who is currently in school.

Let me be clear: I want my child’s teachers to be able to protect my child and other children from harm, and be trained how to proactively stop an assault on our schools. I want to be able to protect my child at school just as much as I am able to do so outside of school.

If someone wishes to enter a school and cause harm, the law against bringing that firearm to school means absolutely nothing to the perpetrating individual. To disarm the only people who are onsite and have any potential to stop or mitigate the resulting situation is practically an open invitation for these tragic occurrences to repeat. Every school that has been the victim of an act of gun-violence has been supposedly protected by the same anti-gun law protecting Sandy Hook Elementary school, and today, like the previous times, we’ve seen how wholly ineffective those laws have been.

As always, disarming law abiding citizens only makes them the victims for when another citizen decided to become a criminal.

To recap: I hope you seriously consider the consequences of preventing firearms on school grounds, and consider the gains of allowing schools to proactively protect our children.

Quote Originally Posted by NewtownSam View Post
    I finally have my daughter home from her school. Now I just need to pray for the wisdom needed to explain this in an appropriate way to a five year old.
    Happy beyond words that your daughter is safely home with you. She will need help dealing with this experience both from you and most likely from professionals. My prayers are with your daughter and the other survivors as well as with the victims and their families.

What a coward this individual was to attack those who could not fight back and then kill himself to avoid facing the music for his actions.

Just heard POTUS claim there needs to be "meaningful change regardless of politics". Batten down the hatches because the storm is about to start. As a father of 8, I'm broken hearted about these children and am praying for the families.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Thank you all for the kind words, and for allowing me to share some very difficult feelings.
    @K9twofive: I thank you for your tact, truth be told the political ramifications of this tragedy are the last thing on my mind at this time. As a liberal who strongly believes in 2A rights, I'm don't even know what to think.
    Your comment about your heart going cold is spot on. In the first few minutes after I learned of this happening, but before I learned my daughter was safe, I experienced a dread unlike anything previously imaginable.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Take the long way home...

As much as I love my guns and 2A rights, I'd happily watch my guns melt down IF this senseless carnage would stop.

But of course, there is no answer to madness.
    Hopyard likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Maybe you are a little emotionally charged. Who isn't? But in the interest of logic and facts, there are plenty of mass shootings in places that people might carry. Probably just more in "gun free" zones.
    In the intererst of accuracy, can you name them? Not military or foreign. Public US mass shootings. I'll give you a list to get started: Newtown, Conn. Shooting: Timeline of Mass Killings Since Columbine
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Too anyone involved, my heart and prayers go out to you. What a horrible tragedy. I just read somewhere else (and didn't read through the last eight pages so it might have been posted already, I'm sorry if it has), the shooter was a son that killed his mother. A real shame.

Why is it that decades past when children and teenagers would bring their hunting rifles to school all the time, then hunt on the way home, there are no cases of school shooting that I know of? Now that there is a "Gun free" zone, they get shot up like a freaking shooting gallery.

I hope there's a whole hell of a lot of counseling help waiting for the kids and parents, especially around the holidays. Speaking of which, has anyone ever thought about the NRA working to provide some sort of counseling after an event like this? Something like, "These events are exactly what we try to prevent with both firearms education and legitimate gun ownership by responsible adults. For that reason, when a firearm is used irresponsible, we believe it is important to help provide crisis counselling and support for the families directly affected."

I don't know exactly how it would be accepted in some places, but it really couldn't hurt. Thoughts?

Senior Moderator
    I am going to share this with my boys today

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To
    this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world." -- Mister Rogers
    mprp, AK_Brian, mano3 and 2 others like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have to disagree that armed guards don't help. Over here, every school is gated, with an armed guard responsible for entry to the school. We have a national ID here (I know how emotional an issue that is back in the states) and everyone has his/hers checked against the class list before being allowed in. The guards aren't all special forces, but like all guards here, they've served in combat units in our army, and help isn't far away.

I can't see the downside of this, but today, it's about the victims. Everyone here is praying for them and their families.

jb
    Thunder71, 10thmtn, niks and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    In the intererst of accuracy, can you name them? Not military or foreign. Public US mass shootings. I'll give you a list to get started: Newtown, Conn. Shooting: Timeline of Mass Killings Since Columbine
    Austin, TX (Charles Whitman, Texas Tower Sniper. In 1961, many Texans carried and some took shots at the sniper);

Red Lake, MN (many carry on an Indian Reservation). 16-year-old Jeffrey Weise killed his grandfather and his grandfather's girlfriend. He later drove his grandfather's police vehicle to Red Lake Senior High School, where he shot and killed seven people on the school campus, one teacher and an unarmed security guard, and wounded five others. The shooting ended when Weise committed suicide.

March 10, 2009, two rural Alabama counties.
    Michael McLendon, 28, kills 10 people including his mother, four other relatives, and the wife and child of a local sheriff's deputy across . He then kills himself.

Jan. 8, 2011, Tucson, Arizona
    A gunman kills six people and wounds 13 others, including then-U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, in a shooting spree outside a grocery store. Doctors say Jared Lee Loughner, who has been charged in the deaths, suffers from schizophrenia.

December 11, 2012 (three short days ago)
    Jacob Tyler Roberts, 22, opened fire in a crowded mall in the middle of the holiday shopping season, killing two people and wounding a third before taking his own life

They happen in and around shopping centers and malls, restaurants, and schools. Most are "gun-free" zones. Some are not.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Links