GOOD: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

This is a discussion on GOOD: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Depending on distance etc,I would have proned out to fire which would have allowed my shots to angle up and miss any body in the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: GOOD: Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,177
    Depending on distance etc,I would have proned out to fire which would have allowed my shots to angle up and miss any body in the line of fire.This is why you train to react and shoot in different plausible scenarios.In all reality anytime you may get into a SD situation you are not going to be in a field miles away from any people or buildings,there are going to be people/cars/buildings behind the threat,hesitate and die ,or practice to hit the threat
    shockwave and AlexHassin like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,400
    What's saying GG could not have come out from behind that post, changed the angle and taking the shot. Or while he's moving close the distance where he knows he can't miss. BGs have trouble with his rifle so it can't shoot. SHOOT HIM! Do what ever it take but shoot him.

    Being an armed GG in a situation such as this you have a job that needs to be done GET IT DONE.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

    "Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

  4. #18
    Senior Member Array KBSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast, MS
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    What's saying GG could not have come out from behind that post, changed the angle and taking the shot. Or while he's moving close the distance where he knows he can't miss. BGs have trouble with his rifle so it can't shoot. SHOOT HIM! Do what ever it take but shoot him.

    Being an armed GG in a situation such as this you have a job that needs to be done GET IT DONE.
    Everyone, including this young man, has to make those decisions for themselves. If you think you would have shot, that's cool. You don't really know what you would have done, because you weren't there. I take offense to people second guessing, in what I consider a critical way. It's OK for us all to learn from each incident, but give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Having a firearm, and being able to use it if need be, doesn't mean you have to. Taking a human life, is for many, a life altering event, and not to be taken lightly. Just my .02. Be safe ya'll.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

  5. #19
    Senior Member Array sdprof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Near the Black Hills of SD
    Posts
    993
    All in all, Nick Melli's actions were right one. By his confronting the shooter, it changed the shooter's game plan. An Nick gets to sleep at night knowing he did the right thing, and he has not harmed anyone.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

    I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

  6. #20
    Member Array Billb1960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Depending on distance etc,I would have proned out to fire which would have allowed my shots to angle up and miss any body in the line of fire.This is why you train to react and shoot in different plausible scenarios.In all reality anytime you may get into a SD situation you are not going to be in a field miles away from any people or buildings,there are going to be people/cars/buildings behind the threat,hesitate and die ,or practice to hit the threat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    What's saying GG could not have come out from behind that post, changed the angle and taking the shot. Or while he's moving close the distance where he knows he can't miss. BGs have trouble with his rifle so it can't shoot. SHOOT HIM! Do what ever it take but shoot him.

    Being an armed GG in a situation such as this you have a job that needs to be done GET IT DONE.
    Were either of you wannabe Rambos there? No...I didn't think so.

    Nick Meli was there and he made the best decision at the time or do neither of you remember Rule 4 or maybe you don't even know what Rule 4 is.

  7. #21
    Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,400
    This will be the last I post on this because I'm going to tick a bunch of you off and I don't want to get the thread locked down. So there will be no shouting match.

    True I was not there so don't really know for sure just what I would have done. But I do have to wonder why many even carry a gun because they will never use it. WHY? Because of FEAR. They fear shooting someone else during the fight, they fear the DA after the fight is over, they fear being hurt (yes they fear being killed too but most of all just plain HURT. Fear will keep them from ever using a gun and if they do use it that which they fear will come to pass, because they have willed it to in their minds for so long.

    The good sports players see a successful game long before they ever play that game. They see the shots going in, the field goals and the points adding up in their minds days before they actually play the game. Most people carrying guns only see defeat if they use it.

    Their are those how will say i carry for ME and MINE no one less. I say that's an excuse, I wonder if you would use it to protect even yours. I know I'm saying some rough things here but we are not playing games we are facing evil of the world and need to act accordingly. If we don't we've lost before the fight begins.

    I've started another thread on "how do we stop these mass shooting" I have to wonder how many will say the prayer with true belief in their hearts.

    How do we stop all this mass shooting
    carracer likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

    "Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

  8. #22
    Member Array Billb1960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    This will be the last I post on this because I'm going to tick a bunch of you off and I don't want to get the thread locked down.

    True I was not there so don't really know for sure just what I would have done. But I do have to wonder why many even carry a gun because they will never use it. WHY? Because of FEAR. They fear shooting someone else during the fight, they fear the DA after the fight is over, they fear being hurt (yes they fear being killed too but most of all just plain HURT. Fear will keep them from ever using a gun and if they do use it that which they fear will come to pass, because they have willed it to in their minds for so long.

    The good sports players see a successful game long before they ever play that game. They see the shots going in, the field goals and the points adding up in their minds days before the actually play the game. Most people carrying guns only see defeat if they use it.

    Their are those how will say i carry for ME and MINE no one less. I say that's an excuse, I wonder if you would use it to protect even yours. I know I'm saying some rough things here but we are not playing games we are facing evil of the world and need to act accordingly. If we don't we've lost before the fight begins.

    I've started another thread on "how do we stop this mass shooting" I have to wonder how many will say the prayer with true belief in their hearts.

    How do we stop all this mass shooting
    Those are some pretty bold words but then the life you're betting wouldn't be your own would it? You decide to break the rules and take the shot and kill an innocent it's not you or your family that suffers forever now is it? This isn't Sunday Night Football, no one dies if Aaron Rogers throws an incomplete pass. The rules are there for a reason, so people don't die needlessly. Try to remember that.

  9. #23
    Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    This will be the last I post on this because I'm going to tick a bunch of you off and I don't want to get the thread locked down. So there will be no shouting match.

    True I was not there so don't really know for sure just what I would have done. But I do have to wonder why many even carry a gun because they will never use it. WHY? Because of FEAR. They fear shooting someone else during the fight, they fear the DA after the fight is over, they fear being hurt (yes they fear being killed too but most of all just plain HURT. Fear will keep them from ever using a gun and if they do use it that which they fear will come to pass, because they have willed it to in their minds for so long.

    The good sports players see a successful game long before they ever play that game. They see the shots going in, the field goals and the points adding up in their minds days before they actually play the game. Most people carrying guns only see defeat if they use it.

    Their are those how will say i carry for ME and MINE no one less. I say that's an excuse, I wonder if you would use it to protect even yours. I know I'm saying some rough things here but we are not playing games we are facing evil of the world and need to act accordingly. If we don't we've lost before the fight begins.

    I've started another thread on "how do we stop these mass shooting" I have to wonder how many will say the prayer with true belief in their hearts.

    How do we stop all this mass shooting
    Interesting that you say you don't know what you'd do in that situation, and then proceed to castigate others en mass for supposed non-use of a gun. While I agree that we need to confront Evil in the world, only a fool proceeds without an awareness of the risks, and fear is sometimes warranted.
    Billb1960 likes this.

  10. #24
    Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,093
    It is about time that people know why this turd was held to two unarmed victims. Good for our CCW friend.
    Billb1960 likes this.

  11. #25
    Member Array ElkSniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    182

    Oregon Mall Shooting Stopped By Licensed Gun Carrier

    The title of this thread is the title of this YouTube video:

    Oregon Mall Shooting Stopped By Licensed Gun Carrier - YouTube

    There was a concealed carry guy in the mall that day, and he had the shooter in his sights. It looks like the shooter may have seen this guy, and decided to kill himself rather than keep shooting. We may never know.

  12. #26
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,158
    Already running: here.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  13. #27
    Member Array HardBall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    W. Washington Kitsap CO.
    Posts
    204
    As much as I would of liked to hear he put the BG down, I'm proud of him for making the right call in the heat of the moment
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

    NRA Life Member

  14. #28
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    I probably would have taken him out, but that is a personal decision.
    He stated the reason he didn't shoot was because he didn't have a clean backstop. There were people running behind the shooter and he was worried about hitting an innocent bystander.

    However, he was prepared to shoot if the gunman had continued. Instead, the gunman saw him, saw that he was armed and retreated, then killed himself.

    I think he showed great restraint, and didn't let the chaos get the best of him. A very mature and prudent decision. He was prepared to shoot, but the situation changed, and instead, resolved itself. I have little doubt he would have taken the shot if the situation demanded it.

    Good job to Nick Meli.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  15. #29
    Member Array ElkSniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Already running: here.
    Well, I looked but didn't see this other thread. We should keep the conversation in one place.
    Can I shut this one down or does a moderator need to do that?

  16. #30
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,158
    Quote Originally Posted by ElkSniper View Post
    Well, I looked but didn't see this other thread. We should keep the conversation in one place.
    Can I shut this one down or does a moderator need to do that?
    You can click on the "report" link in your first post, that little triangular exclamation point thingy just below your avatar/picture. That'll allow you to send a quickie note to the moderators, and they'll deal with it from there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

clackamas man armed
,
clackamas man confronts mall shooter
,
clackamas shooting concealed carry man
,
mall shooter confronted by conceal
,

nick melli

,
nick melli and the oregon mall shooting
,

nick melli clackamas

,
nick melli clackamas town center
,
nick melli mall
,
nick melli mall shooting
,

nick melli oregon

,
oregon shooter and nick melli
Click on a term to search for related topics.