China's gun control at it's best. prevents a killing spree in school... NOT - Page 3

China's gun control at it's best. prevents a killing spree in school... NOT

This is a discussion on China's gun control at it's best. prevents a killing spree in school... NOT within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Pythius I don't support banning all handguns, but since Britain banned handguns in 1997 their crime rate has dropped 45%. 2011 had ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: China's gun control at it's best. prevents a killing spree in school... NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    I don't support banning all handguns, but since Britain banned handguns in 1997 their crime rate has dropped 45%.

2011 had their lowest murder rate in 12 years.
    Does this chart suggest anything? Baseball bats were the Number 1 tool in murders. Look at cars: Do you ban cars or drunks? Illinois and Chicago have draconian gun laws. Look at their murder and crime rates. Detroit too. Buffalo NY.

What don't you see?

Britain is a whole different story, Australia too. Look at the crimes they report using knives, bats, and other weapons.

Bloomberg prevented National Guard Troops from aiding after the storm because he didn't want non-NYC Police to have arms? Because they are beyond his control? What kind of control FREAK EGOMANIACAL MONSTER would prevent AID delivery to his citizens because of his EGO? Folks desperately needed help, aid, medical services and the like and Bloomberg prevented the National Guard from helping? What kind of monster makes that decision? Do you support him? Your responses certainly appear so..............

Just because you feel safe and secure in Queens doesn't mean you should project your sense of security elsewhere. Gun control FAILS, time and time again.

What we need are more guns, carried by honest hardworking citizens to stop criminals.

Here's another take:

TURN OFF THE NEWS.......

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbedbpeople who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

Charlotte Bacon, 6
    Daniel Barden, 7
    Rachel Davino, 29
    Olivia Engel, 6
    Josephine Gay, 7
    Ana Marquez-Greene, 6
    Dylan Hockley, 6
    Dawn Hochsprung, 47
    Madeleine Hsu, 6
    Catherine Hubbard, 6
    Chase Kowalski, 7
    Jesse Lewis, 6
    James Mattioli, 6
    Grace McDonnell, 7
    Anne Marie Murphy, 52
    Emilie Parker, 6
    Jack Pinto, 6
    Noah Pozner, 6
    Caroline Previdi, 6
    Jessica Rekos, 6
    Avielle Richman, 6
    Lauren Rousseau, 30
    Mary Sherlach, 56
    Victoria Soto,27
    Benjamin Wheeler, 6
    Allison Wyatt, 6
    Attached Images
    mprp, Bark'n and Spirit51 like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I know quite a few mainland Chinese, and I've been there many times. I don't think they're that enthusiastic about gun control, but their government sure is. If there's one thing you can be sure of concerning "The Party" is that they have absolutely no sense of humor when it comes to control issues and challenges to their authority. I think they're gradually getting better, edging incrementally towards freedom, but in a country that thinks in centuries rather than decades, it will be a long process.

Anyway, I think if we want to know how things would be under a president Bloomberg, or a country influenced by his ideas, we should look to China. "You obviously can't take care of yourselves, so we're going to do it for you and tell you what is safe for you to have and to do."

No thanks. Not for me. Not interested. Not here. Not now. Not ever.

Just my 2 cents.

Gav

Connecticut school shooting: Semi-automatic weapons and other high-speed guns should be the focus of gun control. - Slate Magazine

"Guns do more damage. Look down the list and youíll see gun after gun after gun. But not all guns are equal. Iíve gone through the 25 worst massacres on the chart, and nearly every shooter had a semi-automatic weapon. The one exception was a guy who had speedloaders and a bandolier so he could keep firing. High-capacity magazines are another common factor. All these patterns converge on a common lesson: Speed kills. Madness pulls the trigger, but the rate of fire drives the body count."

Comments? Rebuttals?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Until someone tries this with an 18" pump 12ga and 00 or 000 buck. Then where will your facts lay with a 5 round tube fed firearm? Just watch, it will be the Mossberg Zombie edition with the chainsaw handle.

Body count's may be high with the semi auto and hi-cap mags, but the issue is still the operator not the tool.

Again - a person intent on killing will find a way to accomplish their goal. Bans, restrictions, the big "NO" signs mean nothing to anyone but law abiding citizens!

If they do somehow manage to make those particular tools extremely difficult to obtain, there is always propane bottles and a road flare, 1 gallon jugs of gasoline and some liquid dishwashing soap, and a myriad of other common household items easily obtained and combined, never mind a car at high speed careening into a school playground during recess.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Until someone tries this with an 18" pump 12ga and 00 or 000 buck. Then where will your facts lay with a 5 round tube fed firearm? Just watch, it will be the Mossberg Zombie edition with the chainsaw handle.

Body count's may be high with the semi auto and hi-cap mags, but the issue is still the operator not the tool.

Again - a person intent on killing will find a way to accomplish their goal. Bans, restrictions, the big "NO" signs mean nothing to anyone but law abiding citizens!

If they do somehow manage to make those particular tools extremely difficult to obtain, there is always propane bottles and a road flare, 1 gallon jugs of gasoline and some liquid dishwashing soap, and a myriad of other common household items easily obtained and combined, never mind a car at high speed careening into a school playground during recess.
    From the article:

"I wish we could pass a magic law that would stop madmen from killing our children. We can’t. There will always be angry lunatics. There will always be knives and shotguns and gasoline. I don’t think banning guns will make the problem go away. We don’t need another all-or-nothing war between pro-gun and anti-gun ideologues. What we need is a frank, precise, constructive conversation about the problem of high-speed weapons."

So the author agrees with you. So rebut the argument that magazine capacity will lessen the body counts, because that's where the main focus will be in the coming days of this fight.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

At some point we will have an individual that has taken training and practice (which was almost the case with James Holms). I can do a mag change in under 3 seconds, and I am clearly not that good at it. A heard of sheep cowering in a corner with nowhere to run is not going to notice the pause. So even with a 5 round mag, 1 round less than a revolver, all we are talking about is extending the time the shooter takes to reach their goal by 12 seconds if their reload time is as long and sloppy as mine.

Speaking from training experience - you get into a rhythm after the second mag change and the time shortens. 1...2...3...4...5...6 - drop...insert...release...1...2...3...4...5 drop..insert..release..1...2...3...4...5.drop, insert, release.

ETA - so we go to the California Bullet Button. In other words a throw away rifle.

This last shooter (really getting off the topic here) had multiple firearms on him. Fire until slide/bolt lock (empty cylinder) drop it and move on to the next one will be the pattern. Instead of "Shoter had 10 - 30 round clips" it will be "Shooter had 6+ guns"
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    At some point we will have an individual that has taken training and practice (which was almost the case with James Holms). I can do a mag change in under 3 seconds, and I am clearly not that good at it. A heard of sheep cowering in a corner with nowhere to run is not going to notice the pause. So even with a 5 round mag, 1 round less than a revolver, all we are talking about is extending the time the shooter takes to reach their goal by 12 seconds if their reload time is as long and sloppy as mine.

Speaking from training experience - you get into a rhythm after the second mag change and the time shortens. 1...2...3...4...5...6 - drop...insert...release...1...2...3...4...5 drop..insert..release..1...2...3...4...5.drop, insert, release.

ETA - so we go to the California Bullet Button. In other words a throw away rifle.

This last shooter (really getting off the topic here) had multiple firearms on him. Fire until slide/bolt lock (empty cylinder) drop it and move on to the next one will be the pattern. Instead of "Shoter had 10 - 30 round clips" it will be "Shooter had 6+ guns"
    I don't think that's way off topic at all, I think that's a great point. My boss sent me this article and said she wants to have "an educated discussion about it" on Monday, so I want to have articulate, intelligent talking points ready to go.
    Clint Eastwood

Here is an excellent response from one of the preeminent authorities in the country: Massad Ayoob
    Spirit51 likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Re: China's gun control at it's best. prevents a killing spree in school... NOT

Where do I sign up?

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Does this chart suggest anything? Baseball bats were the Number 1 tool in murders. Look at cars: Do you ban cars or drunks? Illinois and Chicago have draconian gun laws. Look at their murder and crime rates. Detroit too. Buffalo NY.

What don't you see?

Britain is a whole different story, Australia too. Look at the crimes they report using knives, bats, and other weapons.

Bloomberg prevented National Guard Troops from aiding after the storm because he didn't want non-NYC Police to have arms? Because they are beyond his control? What kind of control FREAK EGOMANIACAL MONSTER would prevent AID delivery to his citizens because of his EGO? Folks desperately needed help, aid, medical services and the like and Bloomberg prevented the National Guard from helping? What kind of monster makes that decision? Do you support him? Your responses certainly appear so..............

Just because you feel safe and secure in Queens doesn't mean you should project your sense of security elsewhere. Gun control FAILS, time and time again.

What we need are more guns, carried by honest hardworking citizens to stop criminals....:
    315 million isn't enough?

Wow.

Look past the numbers, and discern the intent. We may have 315 million firearms in this country, but only a tiny, tiny fraction are "...carried by honest hardworking citizens to stop criminals..."

Read the Ayoob article: Massad Ayoob Ľ Blog Archive Ľ AGAINST MONSTERS
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    If not guns............

Murrah Building: Oklahoma City bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

19 Children.........149 Others..................
    Or dynamite. Happened a long time ago, so mostly forgotten: Bath School disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is an excellent response from one of the preeminent authorities in the country: Massad Ayoob
    Thanks for the excellent article by Mr. Ayoob.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Think about it. It isn't the number of weapons, but the law abiding citizens (trained) who hold them. And YES we need more of those hands.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stancehold View Post
    As you age, or if you should become physically incapacitated in some way, you may someday need a handgun for self protection.
    Or this--- Ed Ames Teaches Johnny Carson to Throw a Tomahawk - YouTube

Just trying to produce a few smiles in an otherwise grim news weekend.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links