BAD:NRA member Sen. Manchin says Newtown shooting should open assault weapons debate:

This is a discussion on BAD:NRA member Sen. Manchin says Newtown shooting should open assault weapons debate: within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Great. It's no longer about our ability to defend ourselves against aggressors....... NRA member Sen. Manchin says Newtown shooting should open assault weapons debate | ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: BAD:NRA member Sen. Manchin says Newtown shooting should open assault weapons debate:

BAD:NRA member Sen. Manchin says Newtown shooting should open assault weapons debate:

Great. It's no longer about our ability to defend ourselves against aggressors.......

NRA member Sen. Manchin says Newtown shooting should open assault weapons debate | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

2. Remove Ads

First, realistically define an 'assault weapon'.

Assault is a verb, not an adjective.

A gun is not an action, and therefore cannot assault on it's own, it requires someone to operate it, as does a bat, a knife, a spoon, a fist...

Indeed, i hate the flagrant use of the term. Generally, i personally don't consider anything semi-automatic to be an "assault" weapon...but that's more perception than fact.

Thats nuts. So what is the pubic to do if the govt or some terrorist group decides to pull a syria.. We need to be as armed as the military or as armed as any terrorist group is, (not calling the military a terrorist group by any means) The whole point of the 2nd amendment is to keep the government in check. Also, We are in some tough times with a financial collapse heading this way.. I'd like to be able to gaurd my property and my family against rioters, gangs ect.. Cant do that with a 6 shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

A gun is not an action, and therefore cannot assault on it's own, it requires someone to operate it, as does a bat, a knife, a spoon, a fist...
    "Assault weapon" and Assault Rifle" are nouns according to Merriam Webster:
    Assault rifle - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    Hopyard likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

Lets start here.....let the discussion begin......

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition.
    (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, “assault weapon” means:
    (1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the other following specified semiautomatic firearms:
    Algimec Agmi
    Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
    Armalite AR-180
    Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
    Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol
    Holmes MP-83
    Auto-Ordnance Thompson type
    MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
    Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type
    Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
    Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1
    Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
    Beretta AR-70
    Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
    Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
    Scarab Skorpion
    Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P
    SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
    Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88
    Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
    Colt AR-15 and Sporter
    Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
    Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2
    Sterline MK-6 and MK-7
    Ecom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45
    Steyr AUG
    Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC
    Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
    FAMAS MAS 223
    USAS-12
    Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT
    UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
    Federal XC-900 and XC-450
    Weaver Arms Nighthawk
    Franchi SPAS-12 and Law-12
    Wilkinson “Linda” Pistol
    Galil AR and ARM
    (2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in possession or under the control of the same person;
    (3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:
    (A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at lease two of the following:
    (i) A folding or telescoping stock;
    (ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
    (iii) A bayonet mount;
    (iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
    (v) A grenade launcher; or
    (B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
    (i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
    (ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;
    (iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
    (iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
    (v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or
    (C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
    (i) A folding or telescoping stock;
    (ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
    phreddy, Hopyard, Hodad and 1 others like this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    We're about to find out who the real pro-gun politicians are and who was pretending, to get the campaign money.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    anyone can buy a membership to the NRA. It doesn't make him their spokesman. I could just as easily join NOW, or PETA. It wouldn't mean I share their goals.

VIP Member
    Good ole Joe, my Senator from WV. He's firmly planted on the fence so he can fall in the direction that he thinks is most politically expedient.

He and my husband are pen pals. At least twice a week my husband comes home from work and sits down to fire off a letter to Manchin to either praise him (rare) or excoriate him for his latest position. Then, predictably, 4 days later a form letter comes in the mail thanking my husband for "his concern" about the topic without ever really saying anything. Then we throw the letter in the trash.

Just wait, Manchin's office will get flooded with calls and letters and soon Joe will be on TV revising his statement.
    Despite WV being a Democrat state, it's very conservative. Remember, the Democratic party picked a convicted felon over Obama in the last primary!
    bombthrower77 and JoJoGunn like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

How many recent murders of this sort have been committed by "assault" rifles, anyway?

To my knowledge, only a couple have involved a semi-auto AR-15 in 5.56x45mm (ie, the Aurora theatre). And only a couple have involved an SKS style (in 7.62x51 or x54 type caliber).

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition.
    What is that? Source??
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    How many recent murders of this sort have been committed by "assault" rifles, anyway?

To my knowledge, only a couple have involved a semi-auto AR-15 in 5.56x45mm (ie, the Aurora theatre). And only a couple have involved an SKS style (in 7.62x51 or x54 type caliber).

What is that? Source??
    i'm assuming its the language from the previous ban.

It's interesting listening to the media coverage discuss firearms...regardless of the network, it's so sensationalized and the general level of knowledge is so appallingly low. I probably shouldn't be surprised.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    He is a Democrat and he will vote with his party on this one, his NRA rating notwithstanding. Dingy Harry has a good NRA rating, how do you think that's gonna play out?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The ban on so called assault rifles is just the first step to be taken in a move to ban all weapons. I have sent many e-mails and letters to my representative and have received the standard reply from all, that never addresses my concern(s) or question(s). Just before the past Nov elections I again sent e-mails to all of my representatives but, I attached all my past correspondence and letters (scanned in) and attached their replies to each and advised them that I would most likely be voting for their opponent because of their failure to address my concerns/questions. Needless to say that I did receive a reply from a lowly staff member in the office informing me that the Honorable So and So had been made aware of my very lengthy e-mail with attachments. To this day I have only received one reply and it was from Col. West. who does not represent my district. How did I vote? Against all incumbents from my districts but campaigned for the reelection of Col West.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

The only thing open should be that they need to repeal all bans on the so called assault weapons nation wide. My concern is for my and my kids safety in the ultra restrictive state in which I currently reside.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    He is a Demorat and he will vote with his party on this one, his NRA rating notwithstanding. Dingy Harry has a good NRA rating, how do you think that's gonna play out?
    Fixed that typo for you kap.
    kapnketel likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links