Sanity: Florida lawmaker favors ending ban on guns in schools

This is a discussion on Sanity: Florida lawmaker favors ending ban on guns in schools within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Florida lawmaker favors ending ban on guns in schools - POLL Naples Daily News Baxley said that declaring schools to be gun-free zones makes ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By rigel42
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By sdprof

Thread: Sanity: Florida lawmaker favors ending ban on guns in schools

Florida lawmaker favors ending ban on guns in schools - POLL Naples Daily News

Baxley said that declaring schools to be gun-free zones makes them targets for deranged people who know they can't be stopped because guns aren't allowed in schools.
    I had to do a double take, but finally some common sense. There is even a poll with "ending the ban on guns in schools" actually up 15%.
    darbo likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Might as well allow it. Every other week there's a report of some kid bringing one to school, why not the staff?
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You know, why not work to make it more difficult to have active shootings at unarmed places by allowing at least someone there trained and proficient with a weapon?

How could that not be a good thing in light of shootings at places were firearms are not allowed in?

Brinks and Wells Fargo equip their men with firearms to stop armed robbery. How many armed robbers have attempted to steal money from them and kill the guards? I can't recall the last time it happen.

Other places also have armed guards for various reasons, even the President has armed-to-the-teeth Secret Service. It just makes sense to go the distance to protect our schools.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Might as well allow it. Every other week there's a report of some kid bringing one to school, why not the staff?
    Yup. Criminals who have desired to have done so, and they'll keep doing so. The ONLY thing that de-criminalizing such carry by upstanding citizens will do is to ensure the criminals aren't completely unopposed if they do come calling. Mines in the minefield, which is a pretty pointless (and welcoming) place without the "mines" (armed citizens).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I completely understand this lawmaker's position and agree with him.
    rigel42 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    You know, why not work to make it more difficult to have active shootings at unarmed places by allowing at least someone there trained and proficient with a weapon?

How could that not be a good thing in light of shootings at places were firearms are not allowed in?

Brinks and Wells Fargo equip their men with firearms to stop armed robbery. How many armed robbers have attempted to steal money from them and kill the guards? I can't recall the last time it happen.

Other places also have armed guards for various reasons, even the President has armed-to-the-teeth Secret Service. It just makes sense to go the distance to protect our schools.
    It's happened several times here in the last few years, sometimes an inside job too. But it's the abnomaly.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I love FL! I think it's a long shot but we'll see....

VIP Member
    I don't see it happening (failed to pass college carry last year) but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't see it happening (failed to pass college carry last year) but who knows.
    I agree but I'll write my state lawmakers anyway and cross my fingers...

See the following article for more ammunition in the debate.

Active shooters in schools: The enemy is denial
    darbo likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

This is already allowed in the state of Utah.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    Florida lawmaker favors ending ban on guns in schools - POLL Naples Daily News

I had to do a double take, but finally some common sense. There is even a poll with "ending the ban on guns in schools" actually up 15%.
    It is a good idea but won't happen. It's the popular and feel good mindset to oppose guns. Why don't the lawmakers see that what is in place now IS NOT (!!!) working?

3 down, 47 to go (or is is 54?)

Links