BAD: CCW holder loses gun. Found by kids.

This is a discussion on BAD: CCW holder loses gun. Found by kids. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We are all fortunate that nothing really bad happened here and that the kids did the right thing. This is the kind of thing that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: BAD: CCW holder loses gun. Found by kids.

We are all fortunate that nothing really bad happened here and that the kids did the right thing.

This is the kind of thing that will get someone hurt or killed, and ramp up the efforts to take away our rights. People with permits need to stop being stupid.

Students find loaded gun on floor of Tillamook movie theater | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon
    rigel42 likes this.

VIP Member
    This happens more often with LEOs than with CCW holders. Just do a google search & you'll see a few examples........Not excusing carelessness, it just happens OCCASIONALLY...
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I didn't read the article, but seeing that it happened at a movie theater is not surprising. I always feel as if mine will fall out of the holster when I'm sitting on the movie theater chairs, but I always check that I still have it every 20-30 mins and when I leave.
    oneshot likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

If the antis do get a AWB passed, CCW will be next on their list.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    If the antis do get a AWB passed, CCW will be next on their list.
    I've come to realize there's a big difference between most peoples views on owning AR-15 type weapons and their views on the conceal carry laws. There's a lot more statistics to back up conceal carry and I don't ever see anything happening to it..then again..anti's don't care about statistics....
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I've come to realize there's a big difference between most peoples views on owning AR-15 type weapons and their views on the conceal carry laws. There's a lot more statistics to back up conceal carry and I don't ever see anything happening to it..then again..anti's don't care about statistics....
    Although I love my evil black rifle, I have also found this to be true. I have gotten asked "why would anyone legitimately need a rifle with a 30 round mag" a lot in the last few days, and people are much more open to the idea of carrying a handgun for personal defense out and about, but turn their noses up when I tell them my rifle is for defense of home and country if need were to arise.
    Burns likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member
    And this is another reason why EDUCATING kids, ALL KIDS, about safe firearm handling is important. But "educators" have the mistaken belief that educating kids about firearms would lead to more, rather than less, incidents. If they'd just take the mystery away, the odds are much greater that kids wouldn't bring guns to school, accidentally (or purposefully) shoot their classmates, etc. But again, the "educators" have the same delusions about Gun Free Zones.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

That's why due diligence controlling our firearms and educating kids is paramount. My kids know what to do if I or anyone else makes a mistake like that, does yours?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    does yours?
    Yep, mine do. They'll tell me if I leave it somewhere (like if I was in the kitchen cooking and laid it down on a counter - holstered of course). Doesn't happen often but it does occasionally happen when I am wearing some very loose shorts so I can't IWB normally. We drill them occasionally and ask them what they would do if a friend brought one out, etc. And they've shot them all so they know what kind of damage they can do.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Yep, mine do. They'll tell me if I leave it somewhere (like if I was in the kitchen cooking and laid it down on a counter - holstered of course). Doesn't happen often but it does occasionally happen when I am wearing some very loose shorts so I can't IWB normally. We drill them occasionally and ask them what they would do if a friend brought one out, etc. And they've shot them all so they know what kind of damage they can do.
    I really wasn't pointing a finger at you accessbob. I guess it can be looked at in that way. I was really just sayin' in general.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Re: BAD: CCW holder loses gun. Found by kids.

Hats off to whoever educated these kids. They did the right thing.
    If you think about it, depending on who sat down in that seat, Christmas could of came early.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I really wasn't pointing a finger at you accessbob. I guess it can be looked at in that way. I was really just sayin' in general.
    I didn't think so but thought I'd just throw that out there as we've worked with our kids and I trust them to do the right thing because of it and their history.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Hats off to whoever educated these kids. They did the right thing.
    If you think about it, depending on who sat down in that seat, Christmas could of came early.
    The story I saw was that they had taken a Hunter Safety course.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Update:

Ore. man who left gun under theater seat has permit revoked | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

I kinda feel for the guy a little because we all make mistakes, but as mprp said "due dillegence in controlling our firearms" is an area where we can NEVER let our guard down. It would not surprise me at all if charges follow, although I'm torn on whether I would want to see that happen to someone.

I've never had my gun even try to come out of my OWB formed leather holster,it has no retention strap since the leather is molded to the gun,people that carry in cheap one size fits most slick nylon holsters,or the Belt Slide type holsters that can push up on the gun slide as you sit down causing the gun to push up out of the holster are just a news story waiting to happen.
    Too bad they didn't publish the type of holster he was using but I got a really good Idea it was probably in the $10 range
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links