Friend pointed out GUN DISCREPANCIES

This is a discussion on Friend pointed out GUN DISCREPANCIES within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got up this morning and read the news as usual, the first story I got to was how a NY cardinal compared a slain teacher ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Friend pointed out GUN DISCREPANCIES

Friend pointed out GUN DISCREPANCIES

Got up this morning and read the news as usual, the first story I got to was how a NY cardinal compared a slain teacher in the Sandy Hook shooting to jesus. She laid her life down for her children just as jesus did for his followers. Then in the fourth paragraph down it discussed the shooting and it said
    "Catherine was among the 20 students and six teachers killed when Adam Lanza, armed with a military-style assault rifle, broke into Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on Dec. 14 and opened fire. Lanza killed his mother at her home before the attack and committed suicide at the school as police closed in."
    Here is the URL...NY cardinal compares slain Conn. teacher to Jesus - Yahoo! News

As I read this it just did not sound right to me, this report stated that he used a Military-style assault rifle in the school shooting. This does not go along with reports from the day of the shooting or even the day after the shooting. In this report I went and looked up and remember reading when it came out this is what it said.
    "Three weapons were found — a Glock and a Sig Sauer, both pistols, inside the school, and a .223-caliber rifle in the back of a car. " Here is the URL...Gunman kills mom, 26 others in school shooting spree

I read other reports on the day of the shooting and also the morning after the shooting that talked about Lanza using A Glock and a Sig for the shooting, both 9mm with high cap mags but no mention of the AR-15 other then it being in the car. All the reports you read now talk about the killings being done with the AR-15 and how we need to ban this Assault rifle. The AR-15 semi automatic rifle is no different the a typical semi auto 223 rifle used in varmint hunting, other then platform it is built on. An assault rifle by definition is "An assault rifle is a select-fire (either fully automatic or burst capable) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine." Here is the full definition for you to read. Assault rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We are being lied to here people, the news stories are changing every time you read them and the gun bans are being more and more considered. Yes I am horrified by the killings. But a gun ban is not the answer to this or any other killing. Stricter rules in buying over the internet and at gun stores need to be enacted. Mental health needs to be stepped up. You will not stop killing by taking guns away from the Law abiding people of this country that enjoy the shooting sports and or hunting or both.
    The main thing that got me to thinking this morning is. Well, this is not surprising to me. We are being lied to by the government and the media. We are being denied our second amendment rights to have and to bear arms. If we are going to look at this then we had better look at all the other amendments. Hell, look at the video games kids play. Nothing but out and out killing. What is going to happen to our already failing economy when the arms bans begin? People will loose jobs, factories will move out of the country to produce there products taking more jobs away. Small Mom and Pop stores will fail and families will lose there livelihood. People that depend on getting the deer and wild game yearly for food to supplement there budget could lose that right. Once it starts it never ends...
    goldshellback and Bigen03 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    just about nothing in the initial reports turned out to be true. It was as if the media were making junk up just to have something to report.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    just about nothing in the initial reports turned out to be true. It was as if the media were making junk up just to have something to report.
    Maybe it was true,but with an AR15 on site in a car what a great way to spin a tragedy.I DON"T TRUST THE GOVERNMENT
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I'm with you. I think we're going to be hearing clarifications on this one for a while.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Gun Inconsistencies in Sandy Hook School Mass Shooting (yes or no -- you decide)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_NllT1iDo
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    That is why a certain commentator refers to it as the “drive by media”; they rush out take a quick look and blurt out a story about what they think they saw.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Wandering a little bit off topic to demonstrate a point, namely that you can NOT rely on the national news media to provide accurate information.

1979 - I'm working in commercial nuclear power. A unit at Three Mile Island in PA develops a problem, and operators mistakenly override three layers of automatic controls, compounding the problem and leading to a partial core meltdown. Worse, a 'bubble' of explosive hydrogen gas forms over the flooded core of the reactor. The world is aware of the deteriorating situation within hours. A team of nuclear power plant experts is pulled together, including my manager (and neighbor/carpooler) and they arrive on site at TMI within 36 hours of the reactor being 'scrammed.' This is where my story starts.

For more than 3 weeks, the "most trusted man in America" - Walter Cronkite - led off the CBS Evening News with "the nuclear nightmare at Three Mile Island." He then proceeded to spew sensational inaccuracies about what was actually happening at TMI. Those of us back at home base were getting direct faxes from our own expert on site, and his dispatches were at serious odds with what America was being fed on the evening news.

That's when it struck me that if the news media was pumping out misinformation about stuff I knew and was technically cognizant of, then how accurate could they be about things I didn't know about, like the economy and foreign relations? Call it my awakening, my loss of innocence, but ever since then I've held a high degree of skepticism about the information we're fed from the organized news media.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Mornin' duk!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

MJK
    I was one of the industry response group members who arrived at TMI shortly after the event occurred. Like you, gasmitty, this awakened me to the true nature of the news media. My conclusion...it's an entertainment business competing for customers. The truth is often a casualty in that competition.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Let me start by saying I was not involved in any way with Three Mile Island...

Maybe we are being lied to, but more likely the rush to be the first to report something has made the media get things wrong. I'm not naive enough to think that our government won't lie to us if they feel it necessary, but it's pretty difficult to get a large number of people in on a conspiracy.
    Billb1960 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    I totally noticed after a several (5-6) days that it was said, all over the place, that the "assualt rifle" was the weapon used, completely opposite of what was said for the first 2-3 days.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

It's understandable that "the rush to be first" would lead to sloppy reporting. Some of the news media have even addressed this problem explicitly. I can think of several news shows on NPR that I've heard over the last couple of days that had segments on this, noting that there were some major inaccuracies reported early-on, trying to figure out why (most of them chalked it up to this "rush to be first"), and thinking about how the problem could be avoided. But what puzzles me is that none of them (that I can recall, at least) addressed the discrepancy about the gun(s) used. They talked about how it was initially reported (1) that Lanza's older brother was thought to be the suspect/perpetrator, (2) that Lanza's mother had some connection to the school (as a substitute teacher, maybe) (3) that he had some connection to the school (that he had gone there, maybe), (4) that he had been recognized and "buzzed in" rather than breaking in, and (5) that he had this or that specific sort of mental illness, but I didn't hear anyone in the media mention the rifle vs. pistol issue.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That is why a certain commentator refers to it as the “drive by media”; they rush out take a quick look and blurt out a story about what they think they saw.
    And it almost always pushes their particular world-view.
    msgt/ret likes this.

This was take from the NY Times (rag) on the day of
    Law enforcement officials said the weapons used by the gunman were a Sig Sauer and a Glock, both handguns. The police also found a Bushmaster .223 M4 carbine.
    I just sent a tweet to Piers Morgan to see if he can verify the facts because you know he's the GO-TO guy for the facts
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson
    Third President of the United States

Senior Moderator
    One of the problems is that the televised news, does not produce news.....They produce viewers that they then sell to advertisers

It takes weeks or months of hard work to write an accurate news story, and by then most of America has moved on to the latest episode of Amish mafia or what other tripe that The Discovery Channels now airs
    ppkheat, oakchas and steffen like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links