Some people just don't get it.. - Page 2

Some people just don't get it..

This is a discussion on Some people just don't get it.. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A woman walking around with a sign hanging from her neck saying, If a child hits another child with a rock we don't give rocks ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Some people just don't get it..

Senior Moderator
    A woman walking around with a sign hanging from her neck saying, If a child hits another child with a rock we don't give rocks to all the other kids

That woman didnt grow up in my neighborhood.

No body "gave" kids rocks. They were smart enough to arm themselves by bending over and picking one up.

If you saw a kid carrying a rock,most of us were usually smart enough to not cause the kid to throw it at you.

Of course...nowdays...kids arent that smart and its hard to throw a rock when it takes to hands to operate a cell phone...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I bet if the first kid who threw that rock realized all the other kids had rocks also, he'd think twice before throwing one. Of course, when you're the only one with a rock, it's easy to be the bully.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
    AngryBadger417 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MACC12 View Post
    Heard this on the radio today. A woman walking around with a sign hanging from her neck saying, If a child hits another child with a rock we don't give rocks to all the other kids.

Maybe so. But we punish the child throwing rocks. We don't go around the country removing rocks from the ground and then ban them.
    I guess I am forced into telling this story just in case she ever reads this. A little story of mprp as a kid, about 9 or 10 years old.

Scenario: We lived on the last house on the street with about a 20 acre field to the north of us and four or five doors to the south lived a kid around my age named Danny. Danny wasn't really a friend of mine but we always used to run into each other because of course when I was young, we used to play outside a lot, not to mention we played baseball in the same little league but on different teams. Danny was a 3rd baseman and I used to pitch and play outfield. Dad was at work, Mom was home and I was in our front yard alone, playing around in the freshly tilled up dirt that Dad had done here and there to level out the yard to plant a nice lawn. This would come into play later.

Danny decided to walk past our house, (I guess to head out to the field) but stopped across the street from me, started to pick up rocks and throw them at me, some of them getting pretty close to me. I yelled at him, telling him to knock it off but he continued until he hit our house. That's when I had enough and engaged. The plentiful assortment of ammunition created by the freshly tilled up dirt in the yard was just what I needed and so after a second or two, I found the rock that I would have picked to skip across the water if there was any around. It fit perfectly in my hand and with my index finger curled around it and locked into place, I turned, locked onto target, wound up and fired with a wicked sidearm release. As Danny stood up after finding his next rock to throw at me, he never even had a chance to focus or even know what hit him. WHACK! The rock caught him right in the forehead and he dropped to one knee after dropping his rock and grabbing his forehead. The last visual I remember of him, he was doing the stagger-run toward his house, screaming at the top of his lungs with his hand to his head and I ran into our house.

I immediately sat down on the couch and pretended to watch TV but didn't see Mom. Then I heard the dishes being stirred around in the kitchen sink. All I could think of was I AM IN SO MUCH TROUBLE! Mom and Dad are BOTH gonna want to have a piece of me! About 10 minutes of pretending to watch TV went by when there was a very loud pounding at the front door. There was no denying who it was; it was Danny's mom and I was dead. I'm dead I'm dead I'm DEAD!

Mom, very puzzlingly, given the intensity of the door knocking, nonchalantly walked from the kitchen and opened the door. I braced myself for the confrontation and sure enough, it began. It began with threats to my mom, threats of a lawsuit and continued for quite some time, with declaration of her son's innocents strewn throughout the rant. Mom finally got a word in edgewise and I couldn't believe what I heard. In the mess of the argument, Mom said, "Do you want to calm down now so I can tell you what happened?" And I thought, "What?? OMG Mom saw it! She was doing the dishes and was able to look through the window above the sink, into our front yard. Now I KNOW I'm dead!

Danny's mom wasn't able to calm down enough to engage in a decent conversation that didn't include vulgar language and threats so Mom, being at the end of her tolerance yelled, "OH YOU DUMB &!%$#, YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS THAT MY SON'S A BETTER SHOT THAN YOURS!" and slammed the door in her face. I could not believe what was happening nor the statement that Mom had just made. But I know Mom and she would have been a bit more understanding if the conversation could have evolved into something a bit more palatable. We never did hear back from Danny's mom and he healed up just fine. Danny also never threw rocks at me again.

So as for the lady with the sign in the OP, no, we don't give our kids rocks to throw back and don't condone the activity. But even some kids may have the wherewithal to engage a threat and successfully put a stop to an attack if given the tools to do so.

And lastly, I love Mom. She didn't kill me, THAT time.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Moderator
    But even some kids may have the wherewithal to engage a threat and successfully put a stop to an attack if given the tools to do so.
    And THAT is no longer what kids are learning to do. Now they grow up and want to ban rocks.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

mkh
    Are you sure her sign said "rock" and not "Glock"

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I say that if the thrower knew he would meet someone or could meet someone that could throw as hard and accurate as he could there may likely be no rocks thrown.
    MACC12 likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    If an idiot walked around with a sign around her neck, and no one read it, is she still an idiot?
    Last edited by oneshot; December 22nd, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Rock battles were a daily pastime where I grew up . My lifelong best friend has a scar on his forehead from a rock I beaned him with when we were 10 .

If we ban rocks, where are we going to put all the progressives? A gulag does come to mind, but I digress.

VIP Member
    When I was about 10 I impulsively threw a rock at a car passing by my house. The lady told my Mom.

I'm not sure what the point is, but this thread brought back good memories.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My point or your rock? My point is that after the CO shooter wedged the exit door open and came back in armed, employees are dumb enough to still wedge the doors open. No lessons learned by the young there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My point or your rock? My point is that after the CO shooter wedged the exit door open and came back in armed, employees are dumb enough to still wedge the doors open. No lessons learned by the young there.
    My post/rock. I should have put it in "random thoughts" since it was a random thought.

Of course I knew the point you were making OV...do I look like a blonde or something?
    Good point, too.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    To the woman with the sign:

What should we do if a child uses a rock to bash your child's skull in while brutally murdering your child?
    Woman with sign's answer, "sing kumbayah!"
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    My post/rock. I should have put it in "random thoughts" since it was a random thought.

Of course I knew the point you were making OV...do I look like a blonde or something?
    Good point, too.
    Nooooooo comment. I ain't handfeeding no tiger.
    oneshot and Jeanlouise like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Should have gone around again and thrown a rock at her... yes, kidding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links