Lanza Family Profile

This is a discussion on Lanza Family Profile within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I wish people would stop arm chair quarterbacking his mother. Nobody knows what she did or didn't do, nor have we ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Lanza Family Profile

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I wish people would stop arm chair quarterbacking his mother. Nobody knows what she did or didn't do, nor have we walked in her shoes. The blame lies squarely on the nut who acted.

If we wanted to place blame elsewhere, I say it lies in closing residential nut houses that keeping these types secure. Family can only do so much, and most people/families do not have the resource to properly care for mentally ill members.
    Sixto, I gave you a like on this because we do need lots more residential treatment facilities that are
    designed and managed as hospitals, not prisons. However, having worked in a huge facility of this
    sort-- maybe the largest one in the nation-- during the 1960s, all I can say for the place where I
    worked is barf. It was an utterly disgusting warehouse of human refuse. Maybe it was worse
    than our jails as the "patients" had no expectation of ever leaving and IMO were viewed as
    mere objects to be minimally cared for-- and that meant lousy food, poor hospital clothing, some
    sleeping on mattresses on the floor due to overcrowding; and that was the pediatric ward.
    I was told (don't know if it is true) that many of the young people were sentenced to the hospital instead
    of jail (what they deserved) because the judges thought they were doing them a favor. They weren't.

The adults were simply drugged into a stupor.

I was terrified every day I went to work that I would somehow get locked in and disappear Argentine style. (I was too young an naive to be terrified of the patients.)
    If that place still existed they could close GITMO.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

A co-worker was telling me about her neighbor's 9 year old son that beats the crap out of her, threatens to kill all sorts of people, has the police at their house once or twice per week, tried social services, child services, mental health services, etc. Basically, everyone in the neighborhood is terrified of this kid including his own mother. Yet, nothing can be done. I told her the other day, "You know, we'll see that kid on the news one of these days and everyone will blame whatever object he uses to act out his anger...yet everyone has seen it coming for years and his mother has exhausted every resource and avenue with no recourse. Yep, sounds like a gun problem and not a mental health problem to me."

What a shame.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I briefly browsed this thread but, using my phone with a dying battery, I couldn't spot an answer, so I must ask: Has it been confirmed mother Lanza didn't lock up her guns? I read in an earlier CNN report that she kept them locked up in a safe in the basement, which is where Adam spent a lot of her time. But that was a couple of days ago. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just curious, maybe I missed something, but where is the above coming from? Has a link to a story been
    posted in this thread or elsewhere on this board? Is that from a blog? Speculation?
    An acquaintance of the family of Connecticut mass murderer Adam Lanza says he may have snapped because his mother was planning to commit him to a psychiatric facility, foxnews.com reports.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...other-s-plans-
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Lanza Family Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just curious, maybe I missed something, but where is the above coming from? Has a link to a story been
    posted in this thread or elsewhere on this board? Is that from a blog? Speculation?
    This was the story being told here in Ohio on the radio (700wlw) also.
    Rob
    -----------
    Play in the heavens baby girl. For we will again one day see you.
    Gracie Rae P Nov 16,2004 - Sept 2,2012
    Forever daddy's girl!
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    It's just human nature to arm chair quaterback everything. I don't blame the Mother for anything because who could ever foresee being murdered by your own son and then having him murder 26 other people later that day?It's a shame the guns weren't locked up although I haven't seen a report on that. Maybe they were and he somehow found the key or the combination.
    It really doesn't matter if the guns were locked or if there were even guns in the house. If he didn't have guns he would have used a knife, a machete or baseball bat to kill his mother and then gone to the school and hacked all those kids to death. Again, we are falling to the same inane logic as the liberals blaming the tool rather than the criminal. A Japanese man did the same thing in Japan recently using a knife. Is not the tool, is the nut.

Sixto:

Thanks for elaborating. Understood. I agree.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Re: Lanza Family Profile

Who or what will bear the shame?

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Lanza Family Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Who or what will bear the shame?

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    Adam Lanza... He alone is responsible for what happened
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Probably should be pointed out, they say that "Connecticut" also has some of the toughest committment laws in the country...... meaning the most difficult to justify anyone being committed for treatment. They (news) were saying in Connecticut, someone must actually commit an overt "act of violence" ...... not just be a "threat" , but actually commit an overt act.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Probably should be pointed out, they say that "Connecticut" also has some of the toughest committment laws in the country...... meaning the most difficult to justify anyone being committed for treatment. They (news) were saying in Connecticut, someone must actually commit an overt "act of violence" ...... not just be a "threat" , but actually commit an overt act.

Sec. 17a-502. (Formerly Sec. 17-183). Commitment under emergency certificate. Examination of patient. Explanation of rights. Hearing. Private hospitals' notification to commissioner. Immediate discharge of patient. Notification of next of kin. Prohibited commitments to chronic disease hospitals. (a) Any person who a physician concludes has psychiatric disabilities and is dangerous to himself or others or gravely disabled, and is in need of immediate care and treatment in a hospital for psychiatric disabilities, may be confined in such a hospital, either public or private, under an emergency certificate as hereinafter provided for not more than fifteen days without order of any court, unless a written application for commitment of such person has been filed in a probate court prior to the expiration of the fifteen days, in which event such commitment is continued under the emergency certificate for an additional fifteen days or until the completion of probate proceedings, whichever occurs first. In no event shall such person be admitted to or detained at any hospital, either public or private, for more than fifteen days after the execution of the original emergency certificate, on the basis of a new emergency certificate executed at any time during the person's confinement pursuant to the original emergency certificate; and in no event shall more than one subsequent emergency certificate be issued within fifteen days of the execution of the original certificate. If at the expiration of the fifteen days a written application for commitment of such person has not been filed, such person shall be discharged from the hospital. At the time of delivery of such person to such hospital, there shall be left, with the person in charge thereof, a certificate, signed by a physician licensed to practice medicine or surgery in Connecticut and dated not more than three days prior to its delivery to the person in charge of the hospital. Such certificate shall state the date of personal examination of the person to be confined, which shall be not more than three days prior to the date of signature of the certificate, shall state the findings of the physician relative to the physical and mental condition of the person and the history of the case, if known, and shall state that it is the opinion of the physician that the person examined has psychiatric disabilities and is dangerous to himself or herself or others or gravely disabled and is in need of immediate care and treatment in a hospital for psychiatric disabilities. Such physician shall state on such certificate the reasons for his or her opinion.

(b) Any person admitted and detained under this section shall be examined by a physician specializing in psychiatry not later than forty-eight hours after admission as provided in section 17a-545, except that any person admitted and detained under this section at a chronic disease hospital shall be so examined not later than thirty-six hours after admission. If such physician is of the opinion that the person does not meet the criteria for emergency detention and treatment, such person shall be immediately discharged. The physician shall enter the physician's findings in the patient's record.

(c) Any person admitted and detained under this section shall be promptly informed by the admitting facility that such person has the right to consult an attorney, the right to a hearing under subsection (d) of this section, and that if such a hearing is requested or a probate application is filed, such person has the right to be represented by counsel, and that counsel will be provided at the state's expense if the person is unable to pay for such counsel. The reasonable compensation for counsel provided to persons unable to pay shall be established by, and paid from funds appropriated to, the Judicial Department, however, if funds have not been included in the budget of the Judicial Department for such purposes, such compensation shall be established by the Probate Court Administrator and paid from the Probate Court Administration Fund.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    It really doesn't matter if the guns were locked or if there were even guns in the house. If he didn't have guns he would have used a knife, a machete or baseball bat to kill his mother and then gone to the school and hacked all those kids to death. Again, we are falling to the same inane logic as the liberals blaming the tool rather than the criminal. A Japanese man did the same thing in Japan recently using a knife. Is not the tool, is the nut.
    Yeah, I agree with you, but IF the guns were out and readily accessed, it makes things much easier for a mentally unbalanced person to act on impulse. In NO WAY am I saying that anyone but Adam Lanza was responsible for what happened.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links