Lanza Family Profile

Lanza Family Profile

This is a discussion on Lanza Family Profile within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Connecticut School Gunman's Downward Spiral - WSJ.com In his last few years, Adam Lanza shut himself off from the outside world almost completely, his troubles ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Lanza Family Profile

Post Lanza Family Profile

Connecticut School Gunman's Downward Spiral - WSJ.com

In his last few years, Adam Lanza shut himself off from the outside world almost completely, his troubles slowly escalating as his family splintered.
    The 20-year-old's seclusion is proving to be the primary obstacle for investigators trying to piece together a comprehensive portrait of Mr. Lanza and his interactions with others in the days leading up to the second-worst school shooting in U.S. history, a state police official said. Afflicted with Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism, Mr. Lanza left few traces of interactions with people in person, or online, the official and others said. The person who knew him best, Nancy Lanza, is dead.

A Wall Street Journal review of public records and interviews with more than three dozen government officials, relatives and friends of the Lanza family reveal that Mr. Lanza's alienation began at a young age, causing interruptions in his education and making it more difficult for the withdrawn boy to make lasting friends.
    This is perhaps the most telling?

In her final days, Ms. Lanza told friends she was preparing to move across the country, to Washington, where there was a school she believed would be the right fit for her son. She told her friend Mark Tambascio she would be selling her beloved Red Sox season tickets. "She was ready to move," he said.
    It is just tragic, but a few facts are clear:

His mother was horribly negligent for not securing the guns beyond his reach, and he had few if any friends or contacts to note his behavioral changes, if any.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Lanza Family Profile

I wonder how accurate this is... Remember every news outfit out there wants to be the first to publish...
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    He was a flipping nut. Nuff said.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I think what the "profile" would be intended is to look for the signs of an impending rampage. Most all of these lone wolf shooters have had much in common with Lanza, there seems to be a pattern emerging here and nobody seems to want to address that, only the firearms they use.

If we had better ways of detecting the people who fit this profile then perhaps a monitoring system could be put into place to help minimize the number of these people going off the chart and killing.

I don't think so because it's just easier and agenda driven to attack the tool and not the person wielding the tool or the people resonsible for those who may be at risk to offend in the way Lanza did.
    Darrow75 and Rock and Glock like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

His mother was doing "committment " proceedings in Court , and in them stating he could not get the care he needed outside of an institutional setting. Indications from her friends have been, he was very upset with her about it .... and that she didn't love him if she was sending him there.... and cared more about "those kids" (at the school). So, he got mad... killed her, and went to get revenge by taking some of "those kids" out.

Pretty much summed it up.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

We have a huge responsibility to secure our weapons. Not only did she fail in her responsibility to do so, she did so fully aware her son living in the same house was mentally and emotionally troubled. That's a recipe for disaster. For the sake of humanity and rights, I hope this is a wake-up call to people to secure their weapons. I was in a local gun shop today and I was glad to see as many people looking to buy safes as there were guns.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    His mother was doing "committment " proceedings in Court , and in them stating he could not get the care he needed outside of an institutional setting. Indications from her friends have been, he was very upset with her about it .... and that she didn't love him if she was sending him there.... and cared more about "those kids" (at the school). So, he got mad... killed her, and went to get revenge by taking some of "those kids" out.

Pretty much summed it up.
    Just curious, maybe I missed something, but where is the above coming from? Has a link to a story been
    posted in this thread or elsewhere on this board? Is that from a blog? Speculation?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Interesting article. I agree, Mrs Lanza made a fatal error in not locking up her guns.

I also think that it's almost impossible to stop this kind of thing from happening. We probably all know a weird, reclusive, quiet, geek-like guy who loves to play video games. Should we notify authorities? If we do, what should they do? It's not a crime to be an anti social geek. You can't commit someone for that. So, what do we do?

If said geek decides one day to steal a rifle and murder a roomful of people, are we culpable because we knew he was weird and did nothing about it?

I have NO answers, just questions.
    Darrow75, Hopyard and NavyAirdale like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Lanza Family Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just curious, maybe I missed something, but where is the above coming from? Has a link to a story been
    posted in this thread or elsewhere on this board? Is that from a blog? Speculation?
    +1. As far as I have heard very little is coming out vetted. I suspect much of this is hyperbole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Administrator
    I wish people would stop arm chair quarterbacking his mother. Nobody knows what she did or didn't do, nor have we walked in her shoes. The blame lies squarely on the nut who acted.

If we wanted to place blame elsewhere, I say it lies in closing residential nut houses that keeping these types secure. Family can only do so much, and most people/families do not have the resource to properly care for mentally ill members.
    l1a1, WyoShooter, airslot and 5 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I wish people would stop arm chair quarterbacking his mother.
    Here? Or in the news, radio, etc.? I'm confused.

It's really tragic, but the only armchair quarterbacking I see here is regarding securing weapons. Am I missing your point?
    Jeanlouise likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I wish people would stop arm chair quarterbacking his mother. Nobody knows what she did or didn't do, nor have we walked in her shoes. The blame lies squarely on the nut who acted.

If we wanted to place blame elsewhere, I say it lies in closing residential nut houses that keeping these types secure. Family can only do so much, and most people/families do not have the resource to properly care for mentally ill members.
    Yep, you use to be able to put kids like this in government run mental institutions (or training school). But in the early 80's they were defunded and let out on the streets or given an SS check and put in group homes.

Thanks again Ronnie.
    WyoShooter likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Here? Or in the news, radio, etc.? I'm confused.

It's really tragic, but the only armchair quarterbacking I see here is regarding securing weapons. Am I missing your point?
    Everywhere, but here too. We make the argument that momma Lanza should have secured her weapons. Yes, she should have... maybe she did. We don't know if she did or didn't. Remember that the murderer was not a young child or a retarded adult. He supposedly was very intelligent. Remember the old saying that locks just keep the honest people honest.
    Also, I see the point made here over and over in regards to a AWB about if he hadn't had access to guns, he would have used a bomb or knife or whatever. So using that same logic, it doesn't matter how or if mom secured her weapons or not.

The tragedy was caused by the shooter. Nobody else. If we want to dig deeper into the issue and look at cause and effect that may or may not of made a difference in adverting the tragedy, I think we need to be looking at the application of mental health care, attitudes towards it in our culture and glorification in the media.
    varob, l1a1, Hopyard and 1 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    It's just human nature to arm chair quaterback everything. I don't blame the Mother for anything because who could ever foresee being murdered by your own son and then having him murder 26 other people later that day?

It's a shame the guns weren't locked up although I haven't seen a report on that. Maybe they were and he somehow found the key or the combination.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I think what the "profile" would be intended is to look for the signs of an impending rampage. Most all of these lone wolf shooters have had much in common with Lanza, there seems to be a pattern emerging here and nobody seems to want to address that, only the firearms they use.

If we had better ways of detecting the people who fit this profile then perhaps a monitoring system could be put into place to help minimize the number of these people going off the chart and killing.

I don't think so because it's just easier and agenda driven to attack the tool and not the person wielding the tool or the people resonsible for those who may be at risk to offend in the way Lanza did.
    I don't know about "profiling" to stop a mass shooting a la Minority Report.
    When Peter Lanza spoke of his son, "there was no inkling of any violence" involving Adam Lanza, said John Phillips, a friend of Peter's. He said the accused shooter's father is mystified about what could have motivated his son. "[Peter] is as clueless as everybody."

Adam Lanza was back in the Newtown school district by middle school, a silent boy usually wearing a hoodie, disconnected from his classmates, those who remember him said. But he showed no signs of violence and had no juvenile criminal record. "He wasn't a bully," said Louis Belanger, a classmate who was paired with Mr. Lanza in the 7th grade on a few class projects.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links