Gun Owner's Names & Addresses published by New York’s “Journal News”

This is a discussion on Gun Owner's Names & Addresses published by New York’s “Journal News” within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by fastk9dad Not to mention there are a lot of people involved in law enforcement on that list that by nature of their ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Gun Owner's Names & Addresses published by New York’s “Journal News”

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Not to mention there are a lot of people involved in law enforcement on that list that by nature of their job require a permit or those that don't want everything on their shield. So now people know where to go for revenge or get some police goods. Then you also have people that have moved from stalkers or domestic violence now have their address out there for their attackers to see.
    hey I know you :P

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Not to mention there are a lot of people involved in law enforcement on that list that by nature of their job require a permit or those that don't want everything on their shield. So now people know where to go for revenge or get some police goods. Then you also have people that have moved from stalkers or domestic violence now have their address out there for their attackers to see.
    that's why I didn't like it when wife and i bought a new house, house being listed in local paper.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inter9 View Post
    hey I know you :P
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    When this happened in Virginia a few years ago, this is the letter I wrote to the editor:

Apparently your writer C. Trejbal, doesn't have enough real news to keep him busy. I wish you would remedy that problem. Maybe his time would be better spent on publishing lists on CRIMINALS rather than the law-abiding. Maybe even a list of Trejbal's tax returns, parking & speeding tickets. How about the names, ages & schools his children attend.....Doesn't sound very appealing does it?

His misguided attempt at doing a story on 'open government', by publishing the private information on over 138,000 Virginia citizens is inexcusable. This is a lame attempt at portraying holders of a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit as people not to be trusted.

We........yes I said "WE", since I am one of those on the 'list'. I have held a valid permit for more than fifteen years in the Commonwealth. In order to be granted a permit, you have to go through a lot. Here is some of what you have to go through:

I had to present evidence, to the court, of state approved training in firearms & safety. Classroom training includes when it is legal & when it is NOT legal to carry or use a concealed weapon. I had to submit an application & pay the fees involved. I had to pass local & state background checks. I was fingerprinted & a further background check was performed by the FBI. All this was before I was granted a permit to protect my family & myself.

I am not a drug dealer, felon, stalker, thief or even a jay-walker. I'm not an illegal alien, I am a citizen of the USA & I vote. My family has fought in every major war to protect this country & it's freedoms. My son-in-law is still in Iraq. I'm well aware of the responsibility of carrying a firearm. I train regularly, probably more than most Virginia law enforcement officers. I'm aware of the laws as they apply to carrying a concealed firearm. I know when, where I can legally carry. I also know where it is illegal for me to carry.

I don't go to 'bad' parts of town looking for trouble. I go out of way to avoid conflicts. I prefer to be anonymous, however since Mr. Trejbal's article, that isn't possible now is it? If the need arises, I will act intelligently & decisively to protect my life & the lives of those around me....even Mr. Trejbal's. (since he is not on the 'LIST')

You work for a newspaper. How many permit holders have committed crimes?........Can't remember any?...That's because overall, permit holders are among the MOST law-abiding in this country. There are more law enforcement officers charged with crimes than Concealed Handgun Permit holders. There aren't any instances of a police officer being injured by a permit holder. On the other hand, there have been instances where policemen have been assisted by permit holders.

Do I wish we lived in a world where there was no risk of being a victim....YOU BET! ...but that is fantasy, the world we live in is dangerous, just look through your own rag to see all the bad things that happen to good people.

In closing, Trejbal shows that he is really anti-gun. His own words betray his bias...."There are plenty of reasons to question the wisdom of widespread gun ownership, too." That makes his true motives for publishing this information a little clearer.

Maybe we should do as Frank Lloyd Wright said....."I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

C Green
    Fork Union, Va.
    hat tip to akav8er for reminding me about it............
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Great letter ^^^^^^^^^
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Great letter ^^^^^^^^^
    Amen.

did you get a response?
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

goawayfarm that was a great letter.

My money is on the "falling on deaf" ears scenario.

Gun haters just don't get it. You actually made sense and that is what they fear the most. Your gun would not scare them as bad as the idea that yes, firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens can be and still is, a good thing.

They thrive on emotions, not facts. Their efforts to stop gun owners from having them stops at nothing, even to the point of putting personal information out so everybody can see and think that law abiding owners are somehow related to criminals. Yet, do that same thing to them and I bet we still hear the echo's of their protests.

It is going to take numbers against the anti gun movement, voting out anti gun polititians and getting some legislation to protect the rights of owners from this sort of nonsense. That is the only way to counter this.
    Cleandean likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Amen.

did you get a response?
    Not surprisingly.....No response from the editor. They did take the list down after a firestorm was created....Sort of like what is happening to this new bunch of dolts.

here is the original thread:
    VA CCW holder list published in Roanoke Times
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Well I just did a little searching (surfing?) and the list is still "up" and "active".

This really chaps me!

Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member
    I just posted that to our senators FB page, who happens to live in Putnam - he's not going to like having his private address out there and he was already fighting to get this shut down - now it's really game on.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

The NRA should buy 1,000+ copies of this and send it to NY prison inmates with B&E records so they'll know which houses to avoid and which houses are easy picking. That might upset a few anti-gun moonbats who thought this article was innocent public information.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

VIP Member
    As noted, one of the unintended consequences is that it's now easy to figure out which homes do NOT have permits. Those home may now more likely be targeted for break-ins.

Great job, Journal News. Putting the people that do not own guns at greater risk.

Idiots blinded by ideology.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links