A win for veterans

A win for veterans

This is a discussion on A win for veterans within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Decorated Army Veteran Prevails in Battle against the U.S. Postal Service One of the highest ranking National Guard non commissioned officers in the Army’s Special ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Crowman

Thread: A win for veterans

Thumbs up A win for veterans

Decorated Army Veteran Prevails in Battle against the U.S. Postal Service

One of the highest ranking National Guard non commissioned officers in the Army’s Special Forces whom the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) unlawfully terminated over a decade ago has prevailed in his long fight to regain his job. A Judge awarded Sergeant Major Richard Erickson 12 years of back-pay and benefits and ordered the USPS to cancel his removal and retroactively reinstate him. This decision may cost the USPS and the federal government over $2,000,000 in back-pay, benefits, attorney fees, and retirement enhancements, making this one of the largest awards in an employment case against the USPS and the federal government.

“The good news for other service men and women is that Erickson’s perseverance in this case not only afforded him his old job, back-pay, and benefits, it has strengthened countless service members’ rights under USERRA by setting judicial precedent.” said Mr. Rinckey.

Decorated Army Veteran Prevails in Battle against the U.S. Postal Service | PostalReporter News Blog
    OPFOR likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Now you know why as more and more of these cases come out why I don't trust our Government,knowing they were wrong they used the unlimited resources of the Federal Government to fight and deny him his just reward,whomever was behind this and whomever unlawfully terminated him need to be fired for incompetence.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Now you know why as more and more of these cases come out why I don't trust our Government,knowing they were wrong they used the unlimited resources of the Federal Government to fight and deny him his just reward,whomever was behind this and whomever unlawfully terminated him need to be fired for incompetence.
    The USPS is famous for stuff like this and normally no one gets terminated or penalized in any way to doing such things. They care less about having to pay out down the line mainly due to no accountability. They use what I call the "100 Rule"(might have been invented by insurance companies). So I will use an insurance company example(but the 100 rules works in many scenarios):

Deny 100 claims

50 of those denied accept it and do nothing

Of the 50 remaining they appeal to first step and all are denied

40 of those denied accept it and do nothing

The last 10 appeal all the way and prevail

Insurance company does not care since all of the claims should have paid yet they only paid out on 10

Bottom line the company saved/made money
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    So we're looking at another increase in stamp price?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I was called back to active duty in 2004. After 18 months (13 of them in combat), I returned to my "civilian" job (also with the Federal Gov't). While on AD, I had been passed over for tenure and promotion - both violations of USERRA. So had several of my colleagues. Together, we wrote to all of the "higher-ups" in our organization, to no avail. Only after threatening legal action (and actually having legal representation to back it up) were any of us given due consideration. After all of this, my Department "fixed" the problem by including language in upcoming versions of their promotion/tenure rules that stated, in effect, "raters and supervisors should consider military service when making decisions about promotion and tenure." Of course, this statement is in direct violation of USERRA (which is Federal law), and they (my Department) thought they were doing us a FAVOR by including it.

I am ashamed to admit that I didn't have the intestinal fortitude that the Sergeant Major had, and did not fight the issue as he did. I eventually got retroactive tenure, but it was a "black mark" on my reputation with upper management throughout my career for having demanded that they follow Federal law. Cheers to the SGM, and here's hoping that the $2M hit the USPS just took reminds other federal agencies that they are not above the law.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I wonder why they are BANKRUPPED ; )

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Good for you, OPFOR. You'd think the gov't would look out for its own, but as you (and I) have found, it often does just the opposite.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So we're looking at another increase in stamp price?
    I thought that they only increased stamp prices when then needed more "This Line Closed" signs.

Glad this vet survived 'two' fights.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links