GOOD: Buckeye Firearms Association - Armed Teacher Pilot Program

GOOD: Buckeye Firearms Association - Armed Teacher Pilot Program

This is a discussion on GOOD: Buckeye Firearms Association - Armed Teacher Pilot Program within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Group offers shooting lessons to teachers | The Columbus Dispatch In response to the massacre of 20 first-graders at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: GOOD: Buckeye Firearms Association - Armed Teacher Pilot Program

Thumbs up GOOD: Buckeye Firearms Association - Armed Teacher Pilot Program

Group offers shooting lessons to teachers | The Columbus Dispatch
    In response to the massacre of 20 first-graders at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., an Ohio-based gun group has launched a test program to train teachers how to use firearms.

The Buckeye Firearms Association announced that it initially will accept applications from 24 teachers for the Armed Teacher Pilot Program, a three-day firearm-training class at the Tactical Defense Institute in West Union, Ohio. The association will pay expenses for the training, including lodging and ammunition.

That's a win. Born and raised in Ohio, happy to see this.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

VIP Member
    Three days at TDI is a great place to start.

Good for them. It will be interesting to see how many teachers take them up on it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

That's great, Let's not exclude those others involved with the daily lives of students and teachers, I believe Staff of the schools should be trained and educated as well. My bus kids have at times questioned certain circumstances; I would definitely do what I could to protect them.

As drivers we already abide by many laws as stated in the O.R.C.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    S&W 640-3

Quote Originally Posted by 640girl View Post
    That's great, Let's not exclude those others involved with the daily lives of students and teachers, I believe Staff of the schools should be trained and educated as well. My bus kids have at times questioned certain circumstances; I would definitely do what I could to protect them.

As drivers we already abide by many laws as stated in the O.R.C.
    Look up the ORC, an exception could be granted by the school board.

The BFA does a lot of good things, I have no problems with my donations going towards this.
    Curzyk likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    As one who has spend a lot of days, dollars and bullets at TDI, I applaud this endeavor.
    Curzyk likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

That is great! I've felt all along that the teachers should have a right to concealed carry if they so wish and are willing to get trained. I'd love 3 days at TDI myself!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

The training is great but will these teachers actually be allowed to carry in school when they complete the course?
    OldVet likes this.

RAL
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    The training is great but will these teachers actually be allowed to carry in school when they complete the course?
    That will probably be up to the Superintendant and the school board. Tough going in some areas, a breeze in others.

I spoke to a teacher in choir practice the other night. She would very much like to take the TDI course, BUT I understand there are mountains of applications for the 25 available slots.

Hopefully this program will grow in Ohio and other programs will spring up across the country.

I wish more states were like Utah that allows CC in the schools.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    With permission of the school board or convening authority of the school, yes.

The Ohio Secretary of State has voiced his support for armed staff, and pointed out it will not require changing the Ohio Revised code.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

"Mountains of applications" is a good indication of the desire that is there. I keep seeing the anti's saying that teachers don't want to be armed and have had my doubts about those statements.
    Curzyk and Bark'n like this.

Look for any endeavors from schools and school districts to support this to be surpressed in the media and by Obama's administration.

Their goal is simple, an overall disarmament of citizens. Safety of school children is not a priority with either the media or Obama.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Myk

Re: GOOD: Buckeye Firearms Association - Armed Teacher Pilot Program

This was just reported on the local news here. The tone was surprisingly neutral with a positive lean.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    "When they bury me, make sure they bury me with my guns on. Im gonna need em. Cause when I get to the other side, there's some things that need straightening out." ~Bobaflex~

If there are mountains of applications, they need to publicize how many unfilled slots there are to clearly demonstrate the need and desire of the teachers.

A great step in the right direction.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links