Grandfather Saves Granddaughter...

This is a discussion on Grandfather Saves Granddaughter... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...and likely also saved a number of future potential victims. UPDATE: Coroner identifies man shot at South Denby Avenue home » Evansville Courier & Press ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 2 Post By Fla

Thread: Grandfather Saves Granddaughter...

...and likely also saved a number of future potential victims.

UPDATE: Coroner identifies man shot at South Denby Avenue home » Evansville Courier & Press

Grandfather - 1
    Miscreant - 0

I seen nothing wrong here.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I see nothing wrong either... The grandfather was in fear of his life... and shot the advancing perp. I find it interesting that the perp did not show his weapon (the stun gun)... But that it was discovered in his pocket after all...

It is "armed robbery" if the robber says he has a weapon. But, what if the perp in this case had nothing in his pocket, but say, his keys... Would that have been a no bill as well? That might depend on the grand daughter... the grand daughter who may not have wanted grampa messin in her bidness... And may not have testified that her boyfriend had said anything about a "stun gun."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Thanks, Just posted it to facebook. We need to get the positive out on guns.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I see nothing wrong either... The grandfather was in fear of his life... and shot the advancing perp. I find it interesting that the perp did not show his weapon (the stun gun)... But that it was discovered in his pocket after all...

It is "armed robbery" if the robber says he has a weapon. But, what if the perp in this case had nothing in his pocket, but say, his keys... Would that have been a no bill as well? That might depend on the grand daughter... the grand daughter who may not have wanted grampa messin in her bidness... And may not have testified that her boyfriend had said anything about a "stun gun."
    Yes, I still feel it would have fit the bill, the grandfather was in fear for his life and his granddaughters. The guy beating her was bigger and younger then grandpa.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Fla
    Don't mess with us old farts. We have less to lose.
    Truckinbutch and grav like this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Good for Grandad!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I'm reminded of the old quote, "God Created Men But Sam Colt Made 'em Equal." Except in this case, the man with the gun was far superior with or without it. I'm glad these two are safe and that my tax dollars won't be wasted making the BG into a better criminal.

The story might have been updated since you read it, but it says he ran a short distance away before expiring. I would suspect he used that time to put the stun gun back in his pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFalling View Post
    The story might have been updated since you read it, but it says he ran a short distance away before expiring. I would suspect he used that time to put the stun gun back in his pocket.
    It's a possibility... but again, what if there were no stun gun... what if, instead of keys, it were a box with a diamond engagement ring in it for the girl...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

It's a possibility... but again, what if there were no stun gun... what if, instead of keys, it were a box with a diamond engagement ring in it for the girl...
    Then Grandpa would have saved the girl from an abusive marriage. Stun-gun or not, there was a clear threat to two lives - Grandpa and grand daughter - simply because the assailant was bigger and stronger than both of them, and because he had proved (by assaulting the grand daughter) that he had the will to make good on his threats of bodily harm. The article says the assailant threatened the girl, chased her down when she tried to flee, and was beating her in the yard when Grandpa got involved. It also says he got involved verbally first, and tried to de-escalate the situation verbally before drawing and firing his gun, and that he did so only as the assailant kept advancing on him. So, even the assailant was lying about the stun gun, it would be hard to fault Grandpa given the other facts of the case.

Gee died from cardiac arrhythmia and exsanguination due to a gunshot to the chest

Yep, a round through the heart can definitely interfere with the cardiac rhythm.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

It's an "implied threat" ..... if you walk into a bank and "IMPLY " you have a gun and rob the place, you will also face for threatening lethal force , even if you don't have one. Did they have a "reasonable " belief that you had one ? If the answer is "yes" ..... "he told me that he did " or " I saw him with one" ... that's enough.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Eagleks is right, the important part is that the threat was implied. What is required is not that the assailant actually has a weapon but that there is a reasonable and justifiable THREAT that warrants the use of lethal force. I believe that Massad Ayoob put it in the book, In The Gravest Extreme something like this when discussing why it is not necessary as well as dangerous to wait until you actually see your attackers weapon: "It doesn't matter if the gun is real or fake, operable or not, if you wait until you see the gun, you are also going to see what comes out of it".

Sponsored Links